So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6

Started by Dixkot, February 22, 2013, 18:03:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on April 12, 2020, 22:42:49 pmAbout to read again Plague's Progress - a Social History of Man and Disease by Arno Karlen
Now I know we're all doomed, I've switched to something a bit more lighthearted.

Bill Bryson - The Road to Little Dribbling, more notes from a small island

It's OK not as good as the original and he gets a bit too political.

After reading about his becoming a UK citizen, I would suggest that the UK citizenship test should be reading his Notes from a Small Island and if you don't laugh you can feck right off.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Slim

I'm reading, but mostly listening in audiobook form, to the second Jack Reacher novel Die Trying. Quite a page turner, except that I don't have to turn the pages and that would be dangerous anyway on a bicycle.

Some of the depictions of violence are a little grimmer than they need to be. I don't mind it myself but I know from reading reviews on Amazon that it does put off some readers.

The first one was written in the first person from Jack's perspective, this one is third person which I prefer. It's gone a little bit Bond-film-ish in the colourfully unrealistic nature of the villain, in the second half.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

döm

Malcolm Gladwell's  Talking to Strangers where he takes a long look at miscommunication both deliberate and inadvertent.  He stipulates that we tend to default to truth.  As a rule its easier to believe what we're being told is the truth and this of course allows lies to prosper.

A great historical perspective on the issue.  A good read, so far anyway
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

pxr5

I'm still banging my way through the Game of Thrones books. They don't seem as good now the TV show has finished - and the poor way it ended. Still, there is a lot more detail that was missing from the TV show, whereas the earlier TV episodes stuck to books, even as far as the dialogue. I'm on book: (5.1) A Dance with Dragons 1: Dreams and Dust, with only 5.2 to go before I'm up to date. Maybe GRRM will get the next one out sometime this decade.