So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6

Started by Dixkot, February 22, 2013, 18:03:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Couple of chapters into The Strange Death Of Europe.  

Douglas Murray is certainly one of the most astute and eloquent commentators of the day and this is a tour de force so far; and he hasn't even finished setting out his stall yet.  Engrossing.
The keys to happiness

pdw1

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

rereading this after something like 25 years
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

pdw1

pdw1

Contract in Blood - A History of UK Thrash Metal by Ian Glasper

Not really a history but a series of long interviews with bands mainly from the 80s. Everybody's here from the great Onslaught & Sabbat to the obscure who only ever released a couple of demos. Great nostalgia for those of us who were there.

pxr5

Jordan B Peterson - 12 Rules for Life

I've seen him on Youtube a few times and was quite impressed. The book on the other hand is hard work. I found it totally uninspiring and difficult to read. Way too many religious examples for me. I wouldn't recommend.

captainkurtz

Anger is a gift.

DavidL

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on November 29, 2019, 20:22:54 pmJordan B Peterson - 12 Rules for Life

I've seen him on Youtube a few times and was quite impressed. The book on the other hand is hard work. I found it totally uninspiring and difficult to read. Way too many religious examples for me. I wouldn't recommend.
Bought this some time ago, but haven't got round to reading it yet.

I was similarly impressed by his public/media appearances, especially the famous Cathy Newman interview.
The keys to happiness

pxr5

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 26, 2019, 11:48:51 amBought this some time ago, but haven't got round to reading it yet.

I was similarly impressed by his public/media appearances, especially the famous Cathy Newman interview.
Yes that Cathy Newman interview was very good. Sadly the book doesn't live up to anything like that though.

I've never read an autobiography before. I nearly read David Niven's - The Moon's a Balloon a long time ago, but I didn't get round to it in the end. However, I was tempted by Brice Dickinson's so just started reading What Does This Button Do. Some of the reviews have said it's too much about flying and his other hobbies, rather than his Iron Maiden stories. I got through the first few pages last night and it seems OK so far - the style of his (or a ghost writer) writing is quite good. As a fan of early Priest I may even give KK Downing's autobiography a read too.

Matt2112

I need to finish off The Strange Death Of Europe by Douglas Murray; then on to his The Madness Of Crowds.

Then I might try 12 Rules.
The keys to happiness

Reg

I got Peter F. Hamilton's Salvation Lost for Christmas, but I think I might re-read the fantastic Salvation first to get me back up to speed with the characters.

I did finally finish Richard K. Morgan's Woken Furies a few weeks ago. The 3rd and final Takeshi Kovacs novel, which I enjoyed much more than the 2nd book, but not as much as the 1st.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

DavidL

rufus the dawg

Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 05, 2020, 16:35:29 pmII used to read this religiously,is it any good?
At the moment it's my favourite hi-if mag. I have previously subscribed to Hi-Fi World and then Hi-Fi Choice but gave that up a couple of years ago. I used to buy the occasional copy of 'News' but have been buying it more regularly recently. I used to think that they concentrated on too much on esoteric (expensive) equipment but I think they've reigned that in a bit (see Hi-Fi+).
I am probably more interested in the content that deals with things other than equipment reviews. The contributors are pretty good, including Ken Kessler. The other highlight is the 'vinyl icon' feature which tells the story of a classic album, written by ex-Melody Maker writer, Steve Sutherland.
I love reading it whilst soaking in the bath!

rufus the dawg

Two books,

British and German Battle cruisers, development and operations.

The Home Maker - Dorothy Canfield Fisher. About husband and wife swapping roles. IE An House Husband and a wife going to work in the 1920s USA.
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.