Author Topic: So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6  (Read 13477 times)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Re: So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »
Nearly at the end of 'Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy' - Tony Visconti biography. It's been a good holiday read.

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Just read Alastair Reynold's Revenger which I thought was very good indeed and a bit of a return to form - quite original, and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel - planned for 2019 I believe.

Have now started on Ernest Cline's Armada .
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2018, 15:37:29 PM »
Well I rattled through that.

***** SPOILERS AHEAD *****

Rush get a mention again - Moving Pictures this time. 

It does borrow heavily from the likes of The Last Starfighter and Ender's Game but Cline references both of these (and others) within the book itself.  Sadly I can't remember a reference to Anderson's UFO which I imagine isn't deliberate- I guess that Cline isn't aware of UFO. Which is a little sad considerong that there are a number of similarities- UFO has a secret organisation defending the Earth, with a secret Base on the moon. With the defense craft being called Interceptors.

In Cline's Armada we have the secret Earth Defense Alliance, complete with secret base on the dark side of the moon, and he even calls the ships Interceptors.

Armada's Interceptors are wisely not 1-shot ships like UFO (sorry UFO but.that was such a stupid idea!).
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2018, 20:56:50 PM »
Well I rattled through that.

***** SPOILERS AHEAD *****

Rush get a mention again - Moving Pictures this time. 

It does borrow heavily from the likes of The Last Starfighter and Ender's Game but Cline references both of these (and others) within the book itself.  Sadly I can't remember a reference to Anderson's UFO which I imagine isn't deliberate- I guess that Cline isn't aware of UFO. Which is a little sad considerong that there are a number of similarities- UFO has a secret organisation defending the Earth, with a secret Base on the moon. With the defense craft being called Interceptors.

In Cline's Armada we have the secret Earth Defense Alliance, complete with secret base on the dark side of the moon, and he even calls the ships Interceptors.

Armada's Interceptors are wisely not 1-shot ships like UFO (sorry UFO but.that was such a stupid idea!).
Brilliant Dinky toy though - could easily "take someone's eye out"  ;D

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2018, 21:51:30 PM »
The Nature and Subsequent uses of Flint: Volume 1 - the basics of Lithic Technology by John W. Lord
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
Armada-Bloke who wrote Ready Player one

Liking it so far, another geek fest
The new songs are an abomination

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2018, 21:25:48 PM »
Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

Dragons do Victorian romanticism. Recommended if you like Trollope or dragons
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2018, 21:40:03 PM »
I don't read books often, but downloaded Adam Hall's Tango Briefing to my Kindle just before coming on holiday here in Cornwall, and I finished it today.

Tango Briefing is one of 19 novels written by the British author Elleston Trevor under the nom-de-plume Adam Hall, about an enigmatic British secret service 'executive' (agent) named Quiller. He also wrote The Flight Of The Phoenix, which became a famous James Stewart film 50-odd years ago.

I particular wanted to read this one because a Quiller TV series was made by the BBC in 1975, and the only episode I can remember was based on this book. Older readers may also remember a 1966 film, The Quiller Memorandum, with George Segal.

This one was written in 1973 and doesn't have the usual cold war theme. Instead he has to find a freighter plane with a mysterious cargo that's come down in the Sahara, before various Arab government and security services can find it.

I found it a frustrating, but ultimately rewarding read. It's a cracking story, told in the first person but bloody hell, he takes his time telling it - in a long-winded, rambling stream-of-consciousness style, sometimes taking in plot aspects that contribute nothing ultimately to the story. He also has this little trick of taking you by surprise by casually referring to something you haven't quite found out about yet, for dramatic effect - "it occurred to me, in one of those stray thoughts that pass through our minds at unlikely moments, that it wasn't a very easy death I was giving him" - Er, what? Oh, right! Even though he's got you under armed guard, you're about to kill him!

And it gets a bit wearing after a while.

I honestly think you could remove about 40% of the book and it would be all the better for it. Needs an edit but it won't get one, and it's worth a few hours of your time anyway if you're into this sort of thing.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
Cider with Roadies - Stuart Maconie. Very entertaining ("I've always considered Queen to be a pantomime version of Led Zeppelin"  ;D )

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2018, 21:49:20 PM »
Around the World in 80 Days - Mark Beaumont

A daft Scotch bloke who cycled 18,000 miles in under 80 days, over 240 miles a day in four four hour stints each day.
Gets a bit repetitive: Got up after five hours sleep, cycled a bit over 240 miles in the day. McGreat. Got up after five hours sleep, cycled a bit under 240 miles in the day. McBummer.
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2018, 20:11:47 PM »
Around the World in 80 Days - Mark Beaumont

A daft Scotch bloke who cycled 18,000 miles in under 80 days, over 240 miles a day in four four hour stints each day.
Gets a bit repetitive: Got up after five hours sleep, cycled a bit over 240 miles in the day. McGreat. Got up after five hours sleep, cycled a bit under 240 miles in the day. McBummer.

Sounds like that one that motorcyclist did, name escapes me.
HYFTOUR30

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2018, 09:03:56 AM »
The Salt Path - Raynor Winn

The tale of a couple who find themselves homeless in their 50s and decide to walk the SW Coast path.
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2018, 21:38:43 PM »
just finished

The Sence of an Ending. Julian Barnes

now

Wolf Hall. Hilary Mantel