So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6

Started by Dixkot, February 22, 2013, 18:03:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixkot

JonL

Quote from: Nulli Secundus on August 30, 2013, 11:27:49 am
Started reading all the Adrian Mole books again.

My boys were reading them on holiday. I am already on the third book. They are good fun and a real blast from the past.

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid of the 80's.
Loved them, especially Growing Pains.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

cygnusxdave

Just starting Misspent Youth by Peter F Hamilton.

This is something unusual in that it's a 'stand alone' novel. For once, it's not part of a series and it's only just over 400 pages. PFH's stuff is usually series and the individual books are doorstop style 900 page plus blockbusters. Again, unusually for him, it's set on Earth rather than in distant space. It concerns a 78 year old man who undergoes "rejuvenation" and wakes up looking like a 20 year old. The story follows his difficulty in adapting to his new look and how it affects his family and friends, particularly his teenage son and the son's girlfriend. Different from Hamilton's huge, sprawling space opera's but I'm looking forward to it as I have read a lot of his other stuff and really enjoy his work.
I talk to planets, Baby!

Andy42g

Just read: Under the Skin - Michael Faber. Very good. Barking mad. Gonna be an interesting one to turn into a film.

Now reading The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman which is most interesting. Rewriting the gospel to make it actually sound half sensible.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

JonL

Just started reading Pete Townsend's autobiography.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Andy42g

Quote from: JonL on September 18, 2013, 16:46:15 pm
Just started reading Pete Townsend's autobiography.

I got the audio of this (Pete himself) and listened to it on a couple of long car journeys. Really good.

cygnusxdave

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter. About a quarter of the way in and liking it.
I talk to planets, Baby!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: cygnusxdave on September 25, 2013, 20:50:04 pm
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter. About a quarter of the way in and liking it.

Bought that to read on my hols. Not got round to starting it yet...
Legend in my own Mind

captainkurtz

Anger is a gift.

Andy42g

Gary L. Grape

Dixkot

Nulli Secundus

I got a book token for my birthday in September and bought George Orwell's Animal Farm & 1984.

I read them both when I was 15 and thought it's about time I read them again  ;)
Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind

JonL

Still reading Townsend's auto (Pete, not Sue)

Next it will be Tune in, vol 1 of the new, hefty Beatles biog.