• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6

Started by Dixkot, February 22, 2013, 17:03:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nulli Secundus

Straw Dogs by John Gray is an interesting book which attacks science, philosophy and religion and looks at where mankind is today and what the future holds for us.

I read it last year and felt very depressed at the fate of mankind once I'd finished it.
Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Nulli Secundus on August 14, 2013, 08:35:15 am
Straw Dogs by John Gray is an interesting book which attacks science, philosophy and religion and looks at where mankind is today and what the future holds for us.

I read it last year and felt very depressed at the fate of mankind once I'd finished it.

Sounds like my kind of book  ;D

...must say I don't really need to read a book to confirm my opinion that we're all going to hell in a handcart but its always good to have some facts and figures to back up your convictions.  ;)

Nulli Secundus

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Nulli Secundus on August 14, 2013, 13:27:38 pm
You'll enjoy Straw Dogs then Bisto  ;)

Good enough for me! I'm off to the library to track it down. Cheers!  :)

cygnusxdave

Yesterday I read Alice On Mars, the latest by the master of far fetched fiction, Robert Rankin. I bought it via his Facebook page and it's a 100 page short story ( 50 pages are illustrations). It was a hand numbered (638/3000) autographed/personalised copy by the great man himself. Seeing as it's as short as it is, I got through it in one afternoon sitting.

Now on The Old Man And Mr Smith by Peter Ustinov. A fable about God and The Devil meeting on Earth after a few millennia and undertaking a fact finding mission on Earth. They find it very difficult to adapt to modern day life. As it's Ustinov, I'm expecting it to be very funny.
I talk to planets, Baby!

Dixkot

Just finished this.

A great entertaining read, with some real LOL moments.

Andrew_Haldane

Michael Moorcock - Tales of the Eternal Champion vol. 1 Von Bek

pdw1

I have been slowly working my way through this over the summer.  Fascinating stuff.

He does a very good job of explaining the complexities of Balkans politics at the time (although I doubt much has changed).
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

cygnusxdave

Red Leaves by Thomas H Cook.

Nothing to do with holidays! He's a crime writer who writes 'atmospheric' psychological thrillers. Usually set in small-town mid America and told in flashback. I've read a bunch of his stuff and always enjoyed his books.
I talk to planets, Baby!

Andrew_Haldane

Picked up a couple out of a 3 volume hard back Medieval History both mint for a Tenner just need to track down the first now.

cygnusxdave

Got through Red Leaves in one sitting.

Now onto something I picked up last week. Welcome To Mars: Fantasies Of Science In The American Century 1847-1959 by Ken Hollings. The blurb on the back says "... draws upon newspaper articles, advertising campaigns, declassified government archives, old movies and newsreels from... when the future first took a tangible presence". Not my usual sort of thing, but I am enjoying it.
I talk to planets, Baby!

karl

Andrew_Haldane

Just bought one of the DC Comics 'Before The Watchmen' prequel graphic novels...Comedian Rorschach.

Dixkot

Nulli Secundus

Started reading all the Adrian Mole books again.

My boys were reading them on holiday. I am already on the third book. They are good fun and a real blast from the past.