So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6

Started by Dixkot, February 22, 2013, 18:03:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

döm

Andrew Marr's  History of the World.  Ambitious but enjoyable. 
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: dom on August 02, 2013, 19:16:25 pm
Andrew Marr's  History of the World.  Ambitious but enjoyable.


Ooh what happens at the end?

döm

Quote from: Bisto on August 02, 2013, 19:18:12 pm
Ooh what happens at the end?

We all go to heaven of course, but you knew that already  ;)
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: dom on August 02, 2013, 19:22:59 pm
We all go to heaven of course, but you knew that already  ;)


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

JonL

Holiday reading over the last 12 days:
Hellraiser-Ginger Baker. The man is a tosser, good read though.
Into The Fire-Dakota Meyer. Excellent book about a sniper's time in Afghanistan. Left me feeling very angry, nothing compared to how he was left feeling though.
World War Z- forget the author. Good fun. Very satirical in places.
Now reading Life by Keith Richards. Superb stuff.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Nulli Secundus

Vikings by Neil Oliver the Scottish television historian. I got it at Christmas as a present form the Mrs. and have been promising to read it since then.
Also reading War With The Newts by Karel Capek... very good.

I like to have a non fiiction and fiction book on the go at once.
Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

karl


Thenop

On to Dutch literature. Basically old stuff that did I not read until now.
Now reading "The Dark Room of Damokles". About the war of course. Like 90% of Dutch literature (the other 10% are ego novels :-)
Arrogance Is Bliss

Bez

Holiday reading :

Ian Rankin - Standing in Another Man's Grave. Latest "Rebus" novel, plenty of scope for the series to continue. Perfect holiday book.
Campbell Armstrong - The Bad Fire. Really enjoyed a few of his earlier books, but this was a bit predictable
Iain Banks - Transition. Enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to. Interesting concept and actually had a story that developed and finished (which can be an issue with Banks)
Lee Child - Killing Floor. The first "Reacher" book. Petty poor to be honest. Easy to put down and pick up though
Stuart McBride - Cold Granite. Another "series" book, this time set in Aberdeen. Ok
Mike Gayle  - The Importance of Being a Bachleor. Fluff. Wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't run out of other stuff.
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

JonL

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Chris Quartly

Just finishing off Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Fishy

From the Land of Honest Men.

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Chris Quartly on August 08, 2013, 01:48:10 am
Just finishing off Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne




Has he come up with anything new, or is he just cashing in?

Chris Quartly

Quote from: Bisto on August 13, 2013, 21:02:03 pm
Has he come up with anything new, or is he just cashing in?


Hardly anything to cash in on?

It's from a few years ago (2009) and is probably the best popular-science book giving an overview for the evidence for evolution. I bought it because I read his website dailly so felt like I should support him, but it's really a great book.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Chris Quartly on August 13, 2013, 23:44:04 pm
Hardly anything to cash in on?

It's from a few years ago (2009) and is probably the best popular-science book giving an overview for the evidence for evolution. I bought it because I read his website dailly so felt like I should support him, but it's really a great book.


Its a niche market, comparatively speaking sure, but why bother if you thought it would lose money? Take that as being rhetorical I'm not axe grinding just feeling a bit mischievous Chris