New York

Started by Neph, December 31, 2012, 06:13:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldiePete

Have a great time. At least it will be warmer than Scotland.  :)

Chris Quartly

Maybe not, it's snowing today!
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Neph

Quote from: Chris Quartly on March 25, 2013, 17:16:35 pm
Maybe not, it's snowing today!

It was snowing when we arrived but nothing to complain about, since then it's been lovely crisp spring weather.

P.S. What a city!!  8)
#herewego10inarow

Neph

Highlights:
First sight of the Manhattan skyline.

The view from the Empire State Building.

The view from the "Top of the Rock" at night.

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge and the attendant views.

Basketball at MSG with my son. He loves basketball, I find it tedious but sitting in the "Gardens" and the history attached was a pleasure.

Central Park - what an amazing place to just take a leisurely stroll around.

9/11 Memorial - I wasn't that keen on visiting the memorial but it's such a poignant reminder it was hard not to be moved. It could have been crass but the memorial is just so right.

Ruby Foos - puts the Chinese restaurants we have over here to shame, superb food.

The Statue of Liberty - having seen it in so many photographs it's easy to be overly familiar with it but being so close really gives a sense of its majesty and the importance of what it stood and still stands for.

The general hustle and bustle would normally be a pain in the arse but I actually found it to be part of the city's charm, from the constant beeping of car horns to the whacky races driving of the taxis, from the hawkers trying to sell over-priced bus trips to the badly dressed "superheroes" whoring themselves for a dollar a photograph

Lowlights:
To be honest I don't think there there was any. With the exception of one subway employee everyone was as friendly and as helpful as could be and for all it's reputation I still felt extremely safe - helped by a very obvious police presence. I've only been back a couple of days and already I miss it. It might be a few years before I make it back but it's one city I will certainly return to.
#herewego10inarow

Neph

An honourable mention to Ellen's Stardust Diner with its singing waiters and waitresses, a bit tacky but entertaining nonetheless.
#herewego10inarow

NeilP

Try the Deli's for nosh Michael or get to visit Grand Central Station?

Norwegian

NY is fantastic, glad you enjoyed it Neph.

I was there in 97, will probably go back in 2014, combined with a trip to friends in Boston
"Information does not kill you" - FZ

Andrew_Haldane

Neph....what were the queues like to get to the top of the Empire State building? We can't  decide between visiting that and the Chrysler. ...not going to be there until last week of May but would like to get an idea generally please.

Pricey

Bisto dont think you can go up the Chrsyler building ( its essentially an office building though i believe the lobby is pretty cool )  , to be honest its more the view of the Chrysler Building than the view from it .

I would advise going up the Top of ther Rock ( erfeller building ) , no queues much cheaper and you get an amzing view of the Emp State Building ; previously I`ve done the Empire State Building and its taken ages to get up and down .
I'll try and behave . Promise

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Pricey on April 03, 2013, 11:12:42 am
Bisto dont think you can go up the Chrsyler building ( its essentially an office building though i believe the lobby is pretty cool )  , to be honest its more the view of the Chrysler Building than the view from it .

I would advise going up the Top of ther Rock ( erfeller building ) , no queues much cheaper and you get an amzing view of the Emp State Building ; previously I`ve done the Empire State Building and its taken ages to get up and down .

Thanks...senior moment....again.

Wtf was I thinking saying Chrysler  :-\ ::)

Straight Shooter

Quote from: Bisto on April 03, 2013, 11:52:50 am
Thanks...senior moment....again.

Wtf was I thinking saying Chrysler  :-\ ::)

Going back to your Rootes maybe?!  ;)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Neph

We went to the Top of the Rock at around 7pm and were told that we wouldn't get a slot until 9:15pm. There was a queue at the ESB BUT I don't think we waited for more than 30 minutes to get up to the viewing platform.

I forgot to mention Grand Central Station as a highlight, a truly beautiful space that was immaculately clean. it would be a pleasure to have that as your destination each day.
#herewego10inarow

Chris Quartly

Glad you had a great time!

Grand Central is nice, did you see the weird horse exhibition Nick Cave (not that one...) just had there? I didn't see them but heard they were pretty cool.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Neph

Quote from: Chris Quartly on April 03, 2013, 14:35:47 pm
Glad you had a great time!

Grand Central is nice, did you see the weird horse exhibition Nick Cave (not that one...) just had there? I didn't see them but heard they were pretty cool.

Didn't see that so it may have finished, to be honest we were in and out of Grand Central Station in about 10 minutes.
#herewego10inarow

Pricey

I'd definitely recommend a trip to the uss intrepid , if you have an interest in warplanes etc , great thing to see .. Oh and there's a space shuttle and Concorde there too
I'll try and behave . Promise