New York

Started by Neph, December 31, 2012, 06:13:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly

The benefit of staying in times square at least is that it's a transport hub so you'll be able to go to and from elsewhere very easily (not a good place for cabs as you'll be paying to sit in traffic...). I try not to spend time there but when we have to there are a couple of Heartland Breweries which is a chain here but do decent food and have some interesting beers, family friendly, too. http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/

If you want to go to a proper, old-school dive bar then you should try Manitoba's in the East Village: http://www.manitobas.com/
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Red Star

I can recommend having a meal at the Marriott Hotel restaurant in Times Square - the restaurant revolves very slowly giving you great views while you stuff your face and get pissed! ;D
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

BaldiePete

One of the things about Times Square, is that it's not a square, just a glorified junction, where Broadway cuts diagonally across 7th Avenue.

Where are you staying ? We were in the Casablanca Hotel (which we loved) on West 43rd Street which is about 30 yards from Times Square.

Neph

Quote from: BaldiePete on January 06, 2013, 14:16:18 pm
One of the things about Times Square, is that it's not a square, just a glorified junction, where Broadway cuts diagonally across 7th Avenue.

Where are you staying ? We were in the Casablanca Hotel (which we loved) on West 43rd Street which is about 30 yards from Times Square.

Hilton Double Tree Suites is where we are staying. It will be functional at best which is absolutely fine by us, just a place to sleep really.
#herewego10inarow

Neph

Quote from: Red Star on January 06, 2013, 11:25:15 am
I can recommend having a meal at the Marriott Hotel restaurant in Times Square - the restaurant revolves very slowly giving you great views while you stuff your face and get pissed! ;D

For my 40th we did the revolving restaurant at the top of the CN Tower. Not the greatest meal I've ever had but certainly the greatest experience whilst eating a meal.

We did consider the restaurant you suggested but the fact that that they will probably refuse to serve up a plate of roast potatoes and gravy for my daughter put the ki-bosh on that idea. ::)
#herewego10inarow

NeilP

take her up to West 56th Street for a burger at The Burger Joint, in New York's Le Parker Meridien hotel... they come highly recommended trust me! ;)

Chris Quartly

They are indeed supposed to be very good, the couple of times I've tried to go in the place has been absolutely rammed so I haven't tried them yet. However, I do feel like I'm cheating whenever I get a burger that isn't from Ox Cart, nothing has come close so far...
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Pricey

Chris

If youre up near the Beacon Theatre area 77th and Broadway try Big Nicks , thoroughly recommended .
I'll try and behave . Promise

Chris Quartly

Will do, yikes that's a big menu!

Pricey

it was the first thing we ate this october , and possibly the tasiest .

really good place , for drinks the amsterdam alehouse on the corner of amsterdam and 75th ? .. is a good place too
I'll try and behave . Promise

Neph

Regarding drinking alcohol, do bars & pubs let in children, particularly ones that serve food.
#herewego10inarow

Chris Quartly

Ones that serve food should be ok pretty much any time.

You might not be able to get in to dive bars (or pubs that don't serve food) though you might be alright during the day. Quite a few places will ask for ID before you get in when it gets late.

BaldiePete

It'll be a happy day for Neph if he is asked for ID to prove he is over 21  :)

Neph

Siiting in the airport waiting to board the plane. We booked this holiday almost a year ago and eventually it's here.
#herewego10inarow

NeilP

Enjoy the trip. love that place