New York

Started by Neph, December 31, 2012, 07:13:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew_Haldane

February 27, 2014, 11:32:46 am #60 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 14:17:05 pm by Bisto
Quote from: captainkurtz on February 27, 2014, 09:12:47 am
I think it's probably pretty special all year around.

Last went in 2000.  Definitely want to go again with the family, although I am a tad curious at how things will be at the airport on arrival....

Do you think you'd get a welcoming committee then?

Fishy

last time i went to New York 1991 maybe) it certainly wasn't very welcoming...in fact their behaviour was fairly c***ish i would have to say.. have a nice day..feck off..
From the Land of Honest Men.

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Fishy on February 27, 2014, 11:35:01 am
last time i went to New York 1991 maybe) it certainly wasn't very welcoming...in fact their behaviour was fairly c***ish i would have to say.. have a nice day..feck off..

Maybe it has changed...or perhaps we were lucky; either way when Gill and I went last May the only dickheads we encountered were the security guards and stewards at the Empire State Building and the 9/11 Memorial. Joe public, hotel staff and sales assistants were all very polite, pleasant and helpful.....even the cab drivers were amiable. I suppose tipping helps but even so there seemed to be a very positive energy everywhere we went.

Fishy

Quote from: Bisto on February 27, 2014, 12:12:52 pm
Maybe it has changed...or perhaps we were lucky; either way when Gill and I went last May the only dickheads we encountered were the security guards and stewards at the Empire State Building and the 9/11 Memorial. Joe public, hotel staff and sales assistants were all very polite, pleasant and helpful.....even the cab drivers were amiable. I suppose tipping helps but even so there seemed to be a very positive energy everywhere we went.

don't get me wrong.. it was just airport folk who were particularly officious and unfriendly.. everybody else was great...

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Fishy on February 27, 2014, 12:27:42 pm
don't get me wrong.. it was just airport folk who were particularly officious and unfriendly.. everybody else was great...

Oh forget about that...The Airport staff at Laguardia were very poor; totally lacking in customer service skills and very ignorant about flights...no announcements made about delays. We almost missed our flight to Toronto because we were directed to the wrong departure lounge. In the end we had to make a mad dash for the departure gate. When we got there we had to queue for about half an hour to wait for an airport bus that made a 150 yard journey to the plane ffs. Could have walked it in a couple of minutes.

Norwegian

Last went in 2000.  Definitely want to go again with the family, although I am a tad curious at how things will be at the airport on arrival....
Just don´t scream and run around :P

Went there in -98, loved it, will definately go back
"Information does not kill you" - FZ

captainkurtz

Quote from: Bisto on February 27, 2014, 11:32:46 am
Do you think you'did get a welcoming committee then?

Yeah.  And one of those pom-pom girls with the band leader stick, twirling it around and shit.

If I go, I'll just say I know Q.  :)
Anger is a gift.

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: captainkurtz on February 27, 2014, 13:43:09 pm
Yeah.  And one of those pom-pom girls with the band leader stick, twirling it around and shit.

Or, our Star Prize! Win a fabulous holiday upgrade; free flight to The Caribbean shores of Southern Cuba and an all inclusive, indeterminate Holiday Camp stay.......

Fishy

Quote from: captainkurtz on February 27, 2014, 13:43:09 pm

won't that get you on the first flight back home   :)

BaldiePete

They weren't too keen on you at YYZ. Full body cavity search for you at New York I reckon.  ::)

pdw1

Quote from: BaldiePete on February 27, 2014, 20:00:12 pm
They weren't too keen on you at YYZ. Full body cavity search for you at New York I reckon.  ::)

Did you admit to being his friend?
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

captainkurtz

;D

The only unfriendly humanoid I met on that trip.  I LOVED Toronto and the people there - friendly, helpful, warm and accommodating.  That was a great trip, really.
Anger is a gift.

BaldiePete

Quote from: pdw1 on February 27, 2014, 22:48:10 pm
Did you admit to being his friend?

Yes, I hung around trying to look inconspicuous while he was being interrogated. I needn't have bothered (looking inconspicuous),  no one was interested in a pasty-white bald Scottish bloke. We're ten a penny in Canada.  :(

Chris Quartly

Quote from: Norwegian on February 27, 2014, 13:07:55 pm
Just don´t scream and run around :P

Went there in -98, loved it, will definately go back

-98 is pretty close to the temperature right now!
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

zoony

My son, Brad and his girlfriend have been in New York since thursday. Just a 4 day trip. They've been to Madame Tussauds, the empire state building, a museum and a revolving restaurant so far.