General Football Chat #3

Started by Dixkot, September 16, 2012, 18:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Dowden apparently finally making some use of himself and looking into getting some fans back in football stadiums - before Christmas!

While I'm a tad incredulous, I don't see why not - protocols have been in place for months and infection rates are decreasing.  Pilot matches took place without the skies falling in.  It's all ready to go.
The keys to happiness

dom

Were you able to see Halifax smashing Barnet in person  Matt?
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Matt2112

December 03, 2020, 00:36:09 am #1097 Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 00:42:13 am by Matt2112
Quote from: döm on December 02, 2020, 23:36:45 pmWere you able to see Halifax smashing Barnet in person  Matt?
Sadly not, I had to settle (as is now usual) for a live stream, as we are in Tier 3 (there are murmurings this could change on 16th Dec, but I'm not getting my hopes up unduly).

We've had match after match of hitting the post, hitting the bar, worldie saves against us, glaring misses etc etc - tonight though, it seemed we were compensated for all that bad luck; all our attempts just seemed to go in!

In fairness, it was a very good team performance by us, with some players really hitting form, and it appears we caught Barnet in the middle of a really rough patch.  You actually have some talented players up top, there just seemed to be so many gaps to exploit everywhere else. And unlike previous seasons, we finally have decent midfielders who can put their foot on the ball and knock it about.

Hopefully this kick starts a good run for us and I hope Barnet can turn things round quickly.
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

Great to see crowds back, albeit of course subject to strict protocols.

Things did not go well for Weymouth at their "test event" yesterday; a lack of social distancing, people smoking, bringing in their own alcohol, a pitch invader...and being spanked 5-1 by a resurgent Halifax Town side live on BT Sport 2.  ;)
The keys to happiness

Slim

Celtic have equalised against St Johnstone at home with a few minutes to go, but it seems it won't be enough to save Neil Lennon's job.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Anna Woriboutchu

Quote from: Slim on December 06, 2020, 17:54:57 pmCeltic have equalised against St Johnstone at home with a few minutes to go, but it seems it won't be enough to save Neil Lennon's job.
The general feeling amongst the Celtic support now is that he must be untouchable. An excellent squad of players are clearly not trying a leg for whatever reason. This implosion is beyond belief but the supporters appear to have no voice. 2020 strikes again.

Bisto

Spurs look like they would be a good outside bet for the PL title,....the main issue being that their squad depth is thin in attack atm with too many of their goals and assists coming from Kane and Son, with Kane being so injury prone  they could do with adding a reliable striker.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on December 06, 2020, 21:38:57 pmwith Kane being so injury prone  they could do with adding a reliable striker.
The trouble is, whoever goes there knows that they're going to be playing second fiddle to him all the time. I know that they've been enquiring about Danny Ings, who hasn't got that long left on his contract. Obviously as a Saints fan, we all want him to stay with us, where he is highly thought off and first choice. You never know what goes on in a footballers mind though.

zoony

After a fair amount of surprise results so far this season, this weekend has seen the PL take a more familiar look with the usual subjects starting to occupy the top 6 spots again. Southampton could go back to 4th again with a win at Brighton tonight, but that will be a difficult game as Brighton have been going well just lately.

Straight Shooter

Quote from: zoony on December 07, 2020, 13:14:10 pmAfter a fair amount of surprise results so far this season, this weekend has seen the PL take a more familiar look with the usual subjects starting to occupy the top 6 spots again. Southampton could go back to 4th again with a win at Brighton tonight, but that will be a difficult game as Brighton have been going well just lately.
Bookies have Brighton as slight favourites...
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Slim

Quote from: zoony on December 07, 2020, 13:14:10 pmAfter a fair amount of surprise results so far this season, this weekend has seen the PL take a more familiar look with the usual subjects starting to occupy the top 6 spots again. Southampton could go back to 4th again with a win at Brighton tonight, but that will be a difficult game as Brighton have been going well just lately.

Well - received wisdom is to ignore the table for the first ten games, and since we're there now - I'm surprised Tottenham are on top. Pleased for Jose though, he's defying expectations about the trajectory of his career there.

Not so surprising perhaps that United are outside the top four (though they have a game in hand) but City are a place below them in 6th place, wouldn't have expected that.

Sheffield United look like they might just outdo Derby in having the worst PL season ever. One point from 11 games.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

Quote from: Slim on December 07, 2020, 15:41:21 pmSheffield United look like they might just outdo Derby in having the worst PL season ever. One point from 11 games.
That's what worries me about playing them at home in our next game! They're fast approaching the must win stage.

zoony

Quote from: Straight Shooter on December 07, 2020, 14:04:36 pmBookies have Brighton as slight favourites...
They were wrong then 😉. Saint's didn't play as well as in recent weeks, but sometimes you don't have to to get a result, and that's all that matters. Great to see Danny Ings back and on the score sheet again. Early days still, but Ralph has really got them punching above their weight at the moment. Another good thing he is doing as well is making sure that the teams below our first team are instilled to play in the same philosophy and style as the senior team, so that when someone does get a chance to turn out for them, they are ready and prepared for it.

Straight Shooter

I like big Ralph, usually comes over well in his interviews.
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

zoony

Quote from: Straight Shooter on December 08, 2020, 21:00:05 pmI like big Ralph, usually comes over well in his interviews.
'The Klopp of The Alps' 😁.