General Football Chat #3

Started by Dixkot, September 16, 2012, 18:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: Anna Woriboutchu on September 10, 2020, 01:39:21 amHey guys, this is the football thread. I accept full responsibility for the above diversion. :-[

It's David's fault.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

Quote from: Anna Woriboutchu on September 10, 2020, 12:39:54 pmYou can't say most... yet. The referendum vote showed the majority in favour of staying in the union. Sorry if this additional post railroads the thread again, but you have to admit it's the most interesting it has been for a while. I've liked your post anyway as I really appreciate honesty.
Thank you. I've got some great Scottish mates, most of them met through this site actually. The Scots are, and always will be though, our bitterest rivals.

Matt2112

September 10, 2020, 23:11:05 pm #1052 Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 23:13:17 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: Bez on September 10, 2020, 09:08:31 amI'd remove Swansea and Cardiff from the English leagues as well...

I wouldn't miss them - in my experience, both places where the home fans try to be "intimidating".

Wrexham, though - completely the opposite.  Very hospitable and friendly fans there; possibly because both of us have not terribly great "history" with Chester  (whose ground is actually in Wales, whereas most of its car park is in England - walk through the turnstiles of the main stand and you're literally crossing the border).
The keys to happiness

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 10, 2020, 23:11:05 pmI wouldn't miss them - in my experience, both places where the home fans try to be "intimidating".

Wrexham, though - completely the opposite.  Very hospitable and friendly fans there; possibly because both of us have not terribly great "history" with Chester  (whose ground is actually in Wales, whereas most of its car park is in England - walk through the turnstiles of the main stand and you're literally crossing the border).
I'd forgotten Wrexham were a valid concern!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Paz2112

Watching SKY soccer special can't believe how poor the pundits are.

zoony

Quote from: Paz2112 on September 15, 2020, 22:05:21 pmWatching SKY soccer special can't believe how poor the pundits are.
Yep, they've definitely taken a step backwards. It still narks me that the dirty gobbing scouse bastard still has his job with them.

Matt2112

Macclesfield Town have folded owing debts of c.£500k.

In other obviously completely unrelated modern football news, Gareth Bale is being lined up to re-join Spurs. Fortnightly salary: c.£500k.
The keys to happiness

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 16, 2020, 23:18:46 pmIn other obviously completely unrelated modern football news, Gareth Bale is being lined up to re-join Spurs. Fortnightly salary: c.£500k.
Plus £1k a week hair product allowance

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 16, 2020, 23:18:46 pmMacclesfield Town have folded owing debts of c.£500k.

In other obviously completely unrelated modern football news, Gareth Bale is being lined up to re-join Spurs. Fortnightly salary: c.£500k.
Been saying it for a long time mate. Money is ruining football, and it stinks.

Anna Woriboutchu

Quote from: zoony on September 18, 2020, 13:28:10 pmBeen saying it for a long time mate. Money is ruining football, and it stinks.
It also seems to be robbing the English game of its characters, the real reason that fans have always been willing to pay to watch. I don't think the past decade will hold a candle to those which went before in terms of memorable individuals. Today's top (paid) players seem to reach such heady heights almost overnight and I don't think many of them will be remembered in the way past stars are, even though they were paid far more modestly.

zoony

Quote from: Anna Woriboutchu on September 18, 2020, 14:08:44 pmIt also seems to be robbing the English game of its characters, the real reason that fans have always been willing to pay to watch. I don't think the past decade will hold a candle to those which went before in terms of memorable individuals. Today's top (paid) players seem to reach such heady heights almost overnight and I don't think many of them will be remembered in the way past stars are, even though they were paid far more modestly.
I certainly don't think that nowhere near as many players now play for the love of the game as they used to, but just more for the obscene amount of money they receive. I can remember when me and my schoolmates used to play on the green, and we didn't even realise that footballers got paid for playing!

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 16, 2020, 23:18:46 pmMacclesfield Town have folded owing debts of c.£500k.

Weekly salary  believed to be £600k!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

döm

He was a great player when he left for Madrid (not 600k a week great but no one is). He's played so little in recent times and paid do much for a bit of training and a round of 2 of golf that you wonder will he ever get back to that level. Also heading back to Spurs which seems to be going through its manager's trough periods ,(without him ever hitting any sort of peak there) and you begin to wonder ,(and hope) that it will be some sort of disaster.

What did Zidane have against him?
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

DavidL

Quote from: döm on September 19, 2020, 01:00:24 amHe was a great player when he left for Madrid (not 600k a week great but no one is). He's played so little in recent times and paid do much for a bit of training and a round of 2 of golf that you wonder will he ever get back to that level. Also heading back to Spurs which seems to be going through its manager's trough periods ,(without him ever hitting any sort of peak there) and you begin to wonder ,(and hope) that it will be some sort of disaster.

What did Zidane have against him?
Probably jealous of the barnet

Matt2112

Quote from: DavidL on September 19, 2020, 01:39:31 amProbably jealous of the barnet

And they aren't even a football league side!  :o

;)
The keys to happiness