General Football Chat #3

Started by Dixkot, September 16, 2012, 18:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

There is talk of renaming Euro 2020 Euro 2021 and this would then free up the early Summer to finish the season off, should they suspend it now, providing the Coronavirus is more manageable by then.

As many European leagues are already impacted this seems a likely solution.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

döm

When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Bisto

Quote from: döm on March 13, 2020, 12:33:06 pmPremier League (and Football league) suspended till 4th April

https://www.the42.ie/premier-league-suspended-5044802-Mar2020/
It's the right thing to do but I dont see it starting up again that soon myself
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

March 13, 2020, 19:30:15 pm #798 Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 19:34:22 pm by Matt2112
This Saturday's games in the two tiers of the National League going ahead - bar Boreham Wood whose ground also hosts Arsenal Reserves.

BT Sport are showing two National League games live, including Halifax Town vs Ebbsfleet Utd.

Given the state of our pitch at the moment after the recent storms, that's an even less attractive fixture for the neutral than it sounds.
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

Quote from: döm on March 13, 2020, 12:33:06 pmPremier League (and Football league) suspended till 4th April

https://www.the42.ie/premier-league-suspended-5044802-Mar2020/
Why don't they instead spend this coming weekend between them ensuring they all get Covid-19 - by the time they've recovered and have herd immunity, everyone will be good to go before the month is out.

Even Arteta is "feeling better already".

Young, fit men in optimum athletic condition should be shrugging it off it no time.

You'll all have to make do with Barrow, Barnet and Bromley on the telly for two weeks tops. :)
The keys to happiness

döm

Barnet on Tele?  There is an upside to COVID 19!!

döm

Barnet on Tele?  There is an upside to COVID 19!!

zoony

I can't see what the delay is in postponing EURO 2020 to be honest. Priority must be given to completing the domestic season.

döm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/barnet-lay-off-all-non-playing-staff-coronavirus-national-league

This is a shock but unless measures are put in place it will be the first of many.

Barnet have already had lots postponed matches at home this season and with no revenue in prospect for the  near future I guess the club had no choice.

Wonder if the  club can survive

zoony

Quote from: döm on March 17, 2020, 19:05:38 pmhttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/barnet-lay-off-all-non-playing-staff-coronavirus-national-league

This is a shock but unless measures are put in place it will be the first of many.

Barnet have already had lots postponed matches at home this season and with no revenue in prospect for the  near future I guess the club had no choice.

Wonder if the  club can survive
A shame mate, made even worse when you think of the amount of money in the PL. As I've said many times before, it's disgusting.

Bisto

Quote from: zoony on March 17, 2020, 11:09:34 amI can't see what the delay is in postponing EURO 2020 to be honest. Priority must be given to completing the domestic season.
It's officially postponed until June 2021
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

Quote from: Slim on March 13, 2020, 10:42:44 amAt the moment it looks to me like the PL is going to struggle to finish the season even behind closed doors - I heard this morning that the full Chelsea squad is currently self-isolating, not sure how accurate that is but if it is they won't be playing Villa tomorrow.

The whole Everton first team squad as well, I've just read.

Six days since I typed this. Feels like a long time ago, now.

English football is now suspended until 30 April but it's optimistic IMO to think that it will be back then. And there's an agreement that the season can be extended indefinitely - I think that's important; it would be unfair and unsatisfactory to decide winners, losers, relegations and promotions on the basis of a truncated season. But who knows when this season will end?
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

The football world seems still to be in the large living in cloud cuckoo land. Talk of it returning by the end of April is now just fantasy.

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on March 24, 2020, 10:32:00 amThe football world seems still to be in the large living in cloud cuckoo land. Talk of it returning by the end of April is now just fantasy.
Oh I dunno...could be feasible at The Shay; social distancing isn't a novel concept there, mate. ;)
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

The keys to happiness