General Football Chat #3

Started by Dixkot, September 16, 2012, 18:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 07, 2020, 20:30:02 pmI know of a few Premiership team fans - and I mean proper season ticket holders, not the armchair Sky glory hunters - who want to see Leeds back in the big time. 

Seems they're regarded as a club who traditionally "belongs" in the top division. Could be nostalgia, sentimentalism, the potential rekindling of long-dormant rivalries, I'm not sure; but I certainly hope they don't "fall apart again".

Be interested to see James's take on it.
I don't hold with this "They're a premier league club" thing mate. I know there are plenty of clubs out there with fantastic histories, and large grounds that attract big attendance. The fact is though, that gives no club a divine right to be in the top league, as you've got to earn your place there. It's been 16 years since Leeds were relegated from the PL, and the fact is that they haven't earned the right to be back there yet. Bournemouth, for example, may not have the history of Leeds, the ground capacity, or the fan base. The fact is though, at this moment in time, they deserve their place in the PL more than Leeds do.

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 07, 2020, 20:30:02 pmSeems they're regarded as a club who traditionally "belongs" in the top division. Could be nostalgia, sentimentalism, the potential rekindling of long-dormant rivalries, I'm not sure; but I certainly hope they don't "fall apart again".

Nostalgia and sentimentalism; that's pretty much it. And so many of the old grounds - Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Highbury, the Baseball Ground, Maine Road, Upton Park etc - have all gone, at least Elland Road is still there.

Also - that's a big city with one football club. It's a bit of an anomaly that it doesn't have representation in the top flight.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Matt2112

Agree with both Rob and James's posts just there.

Leeds is a big city and it's also a *great* city - and, of course, me mate Hilary is the MP for Leeds Central..! ;) 

Incidentally, that said, as cities go I do actually think Manchester is superior in most respects.
The keys to happiness

zoony

Well as much of a fan I am of VAR, it has let itself down badly again this weekend. The decision not to send off Lo Celso, with the ref not even going to the monitor to check it out, was just flabbergasting. Still there is no consistency with the handball rule either. Now I haven't got a problem with offside, that is as plain as black and white - you're either on or off, but it's some of the other decisions that are baffling. In its defence, I do think it will take time, probably 3 seasons, and I hope it does. Yesterdays events certainly haven't helped it though.

Slim

Looks like this is where Liverpool blow a gasket and the league title slips out of their hands!

I knew it was coming.

zoony

Quote from: Slim on February 29, 2020, 20:07:47 pmLooks like this is where Liverpool blow a gasket and the league title slips out of their hands!

I knew it was coming.

Watford were good value for their win, and I thought it would be a team down near the bottom who ended their run, as those teams tend to turn into different animals at this stage of the season. As for the title slipping out of their hands, not a chance.

Slim

March 10, 2020, 13:03:25 pm #786 Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 13:05:10 pm by Slim
Being serious - at this point I don't think Liverpool even need to draw any of their remaining games to win the league. They're on 82 points from 29 games currently. City have 57 from 28, which means of course that they can finish on 87 points max. But I think they'll drop more than 5 of those.

zoony

Quote from: Slim on March 10, 2020, 13:03:25 pmBeing serious - at this point I don't think Liverpool even need to draw any of their remaining games to win the league. They're on 82 points from 29 games currently. City have 57 from 28, which means of course that they can finish on 87 points max. But I think they'll drop more than 5 of those.

City host Arsenal tomorrow, then are away at Burnley on Saturday. Unlikely, but if they lose both, Liverpool will be champions before they play again at Everton on Monday night.

Slim

Well of course that City / Arsenal game didn't go ahead, a decision that Gary Lineker has suggested might herald the "beginning of the end" of the football season.

I certainly think there's a chance that, two or three weeks from now, the remaining league games will be called off, along with every other public event likely to attract a large crowd. Which would be a huge shame for Liverpool and their fans - I don't doubt personally that they would have won the league over the full set of fixtures this year but if the last few games don't happen that will always be an opinion, not a fact.

If that does happen, there are a few options..
  • The whole season could be declared null and void; no-one will get promoted or relegated, or
  • The table at the point that the league is called off will stand, or
  • A sort of 'pools panel' will determine points to be allocated for the unplayed games of the season

..or something I haven't thought of. Maybe the games will get played behind closed doors.

Bisto

Liverpool can now concentrate on their domestic fixture list... assuming  the season still goes ahead.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

Daniele Rugani,  a defender with Juventus, has the Coronavirus. I wonder whether the European competitions can continue this season if players are beginning to contract the disease.

Question marks over whether  the  Euros can  be held this Summer. The Olympics too!
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

Three Leicester players are self-isolating. Not confirmed as having the virus, but showing similar symptoms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51856906

DavidL

Perhaps football will be shut down for a period and people will finally appreciate that over-paid, spoilt and ill-behaved men kicking a bag of wind around is not as important as they thought it was! 😁😉

zoony

Quote from: Slim on March 11, 2020, 23:36:30 pmIf that does happen, there are a few options..
  • The whole season could be declared null and void; no-one will get promoted or relegated, or
  • The table at the point that the league is called off will stand, or
  • A sort of 'pools panel' will determine points to be allocated for the unplayed games of the season

..or something I haven't thought of. Maybe the games will get played behind closed doors.
I hope it doesn't get finished early, but it wouldn't surprise me the way things are going. Your second point would almost certainly be accepted by the teams occupying the top 4 places, but the ones in the drop zone won't! I don't think anyone could begrudge Liverpool being awarded the title one way or the other, as they have absolutely dominated the league so far this season. I'd say that the majority of managers wouldn't be happy about playing games behind closed doors though.

Slim

At the moment it looks to me like the PL is going to struggle to finish the season even behind closed doors - I heard this morning that the full Chelsea squad is currently self-isolating, not sure how accurate that is but if it is they won't be playing Villa tomorrow.

The whole Everton first team squad as well, I've just read.