General Football Chat #3

Started by Dixkot, September 16, 2012, 18:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 07, 2020, 20:30:02 pmI know of a few Premiership team fans - and I mean proper season ticket holders, not the armchair Sky glory hunters - who want to see Leeds back in the big time. 

Seems they're regarded as a club who traditionally "belongs" in the top division. Could be nostalgia, sentimentalism, the potential rekindling of long-dormant rivalries, I'm not sure; but I certainly hope they don't "fall apart again".

Be interested to see James's take on it.
I don't hold with this "They're a premier league club" thing mate. I know there are plenty of clubs out there with fantastic histories, and large grounds that attract big attendance. The fact is though, that gives no club a divine right to be in the top league, as you've got to earn your place there. It's been 16 years since Leeds were relegated from the PL, and the fact is that they haven't earned the right to be back there yet. Bournemouth, for example, may not have the history of Leeds, the ground capacity, or the fan base. The fact is though, at this moment in time, they deserve their place in the PL more than Leeds do.

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 07, 2020, 20:30:02 pmSeems they're regarded as a club who traditionally "belongs" in the top division. Could be nostalgia, sentimentalism, the potential rekindling of long-dormant rivalries, I'm not sure; but I certainly hope they don't "fall apart again".

Nostalgia and sentimentalism; that's pretty much it. And so many of the old grounds - Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Highbury, the Baseball Ground, Maine Road, Upton Park etc - have all gone, at least Elland Road is still there.

Also - that's a big city with one football club. It's a bit of an anomaly that it doesn't have representation in the top flight.

Matt2112

Agree with both Rob and James's posts just there.

Leeds is a big city and it's also a *great* city - and, of course, me mate Hilary is the MP for Leeds Central..! ;) 

Incidentally, that said, as cities go I do actually think Manchester is superior in most respects.
The keys to happiness