General Football Chat #3

Started by Dixkot, September 16, 2012, 18:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy42g

Quote from: Paul Sheehan on October 18, 2012, 17:30:49 pm
BBC Sport Price of Football survey 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19842397

11% Christ. You'd think with all this TV money going into football it's be getting cheaper to see matches - but somehow no. What a shock. You are being ripped off folks.  :-\
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

pdw1

Quote from: Andy42g on October 18, 2012, 17:35:53 pm
11% Christ. You'd think with all this TV money going into football it's be getting cheaper to see matches - but somehow no. What a shock. You are being ripped off folks.  :-\

Its worse than being a Rush fan  :P
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Andy42g

Quote from: pdw1 on October 18, 2012, 17:44:08 pm
Its worse than being a Rush fan  :P

Yeah but at least as a Rush fan At least you don't have to fork out every other week, hope they are in some way decent on the night and don't fall over a lot and swear at the ref all through the set.  :)

Matt2112

Quote from: Paul Sheehan on October 18, 2012, 17:30:49 pm
BBC Sport Price of Football survey 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19842397

Interesting reading.

Newcastle's cheapest matchday ticket is a mere £2 more than Halifax Town's.  :)
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Andy42g on October 18, 2012, 17:35:53 pm
You are being ripped off folks.  :-\

You could say that about a lot of things, but people will always pay for things that they enjoy.

Andy42g

Quote from: zoony on October 19, 2012, 13:28:23 pm
.... some people are stupid enough to pay extortionate prices in a lemming like fashion for things that they enjoy.

There - fixed that for you.

zoony

Quote from: Andy42g on October 19, 2012, 13:39:48 pm
There - fixed that for you.

So what's the most you've paid for a bike then?

Andy42g

Quote from: zoony on October 19, 2012, 13:42:38 pm
So what's the most you've paid for a bike then?

::) Don't be silly.

How about looking at your favourite sport, see the ridiculous amounts of money going into it and and wondering why (or better still admitting that because you know it's true) as a fan you are just been thoroughly shafted up the arse. You are fans - surely as a body of people propping the money go round up there must be something you can do.... oh, yes - I've just thought of some stuff: not go to the games for a few weeks; not buy the replica kits they revise every year to fleece you further.... etc etc, or just carry on and be fecked over roundly. Each to their own I guess.

pdw1

Quote from: Andy42g on October 19, 2012, 09:49:01 am
Yeah but at least as a Rush fan At least you don't have to fork out every other week, hope they are in some way decent on the night and don't fall over a lot and swear at the ref all through the set.  :)

Yes. I hope they make sure Alex doesnt go back on the sauce  :-X
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

zoony

Quote from: Andy42g on October 19, 2012, 13:58:31 pm
::) Don't be silly.

How about looking at your favourite sport, see the ridiculous amounts of money going into it and and wondering why (or better still admitting that because you know it's true) as a fan you are just been thoroughly shafted up the arse. You are fans - surely as a body of people propping the money go round up there must be something you can do.... oh, yes - I've just thought of some stuff: not go to the games for a few weeks; not buy the replica kits they revise every year to fleece you further.... etc etc, or just carry on and be fecked over roundly. Each to their own I guess.

I'm not being silly, I was asking a reasonable question, and I'd imagine that you've paid a sum of money for a bike that people like myself, who aren't interested in cycling, would probably think was in excess. I wouldn't make a comment about that though, because if someone is interested in anything, then they're quite entitled to pay what they want for it as long as it makes them happy. You are probably right when you say that football fans have to pay over-inflated prices, but does it concern you personally? No, so why make an issue about it. Spend your cash on what you like doing, and let others spend theirs on what they like doing.

Andy42g

October 19, 2012, 14:27:59 pm #25 Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 15:15:23 pm by Andy42g
Quote from: zoony on October 19, 2012, 14:12:33 pm
I'm not being silly, I was asking a reasonable question, and I'd imagine that you've paid a sum of money for a bike that people like myself, who aren't interested in cycling, would probably think was in excess.

Yeah - but sorry you are picking a very poor argument as my bike for instance was cheaper than the one before it as bike prices have generally decreased due parts been made in the Far East. Plus it was bought on bike to work and in a sale (see how that works - I got it cheap). Then on top of that it saves me a fiver a day plus in petrol every day and pays for itself, keeps me fit and healthy and I'm not tied to buying replica kit for it every 6 months.
EDIT: and plus to go see live pro cycling in Manchester velodrome which we are going to do three times this winter is £15 a ticket.

QuoteYou are probably right when you say that football fans have to pay over-inflated prices, but does it concern you personally?

Welll... I used to go see a lot of football but don't bother because of what football has become - same with my partner. I do quite like the game itself - just not the "game" as it exists. I also have a son and daughter who would love to go see lots of football games but forking out £100 a time is out of the question - we do other stuff which is not quite such a fecking rip off.

QuoteNo, so why make an issue about it.

Discussion. It's an opinion. This is a discussion thread. You don't like my opinion - fine.  You like to bury you head in the sand - fine. But you can do something about it (football) - which is my point really.

zoony

We're all being ripped off with gas and electric prices, so what do we do about that then Andy? I can't afford to go to football as much as I'd like, and I haven't bought a Saints kit shirt for several seasons now, although I buy them for Greg. A lot of people are probably in the same boat as me, and if football ever does get too expensive that no one can afford to go, then perhaps the prices might then drop. No one forces anyone to go to matches or buy the merchandise, they do it because they want to, and they won't stop because people like you tell them that they're being ripped off.

Pudders

Well I paid £395 for a season ticket at Palace - just over £17 a game - which I think is very reasonable. But that's at Championship level........ I do buy a program but that's about it usually, so £20 a game? I don't feel ripped off at all.

Andy42g

Quote from: zoony on October 19, 2012, 16:13:19 pm
...they won't stop because people like you tell them that they're being ripped off.

Says it all really. You just keep your head buried nice and deep there fella. But with a bit of luck the Premiership will all blow up in a bonfire of debts soon and at some point football will go back to being an actual sport.

Andy42g

Quote from: zoony on October 19, 2012, 16:13:19 pm
We're all being ripped off with gas and electric prices, so what do we do about that then Andy?

Well, you could use less, shop around, get some more insulation and/or solar panels on a grant. It's quite easy really.

Quoteif football ever does get too expensive that no one can afford to go, then perhaps the prices might then drop.

And until then it'll just be increasingly too expensive for the people it was meant to entertain in the first place. Such a shame.
I see Liverpool are extending Anfield. No mention of cheaper tickets - just more income for the club. And this in a city with some biting poverty.  :-\