Author Topic: 4K HD - The "Next big thingTM" ?  (Read 15113 times)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
Re: 4K HD - The "Next big thingTM" ?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 08:25:40 AM »

An interesting piece here on the delivery of 4K content to the home :-

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/red-has-a-4k-player-for-the-coming-wave-of-4k-ultra-hd-tvs/

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 18:29:36 PM »
Meanwhile back in the real world most folk are quite happy with LCD hd ready screens and a decent bluray box or a ps3 etc

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 21:44:53 PM »
Meanwhile back in the real world most folk are quite happy with LCD hd ready screens and a decent bluray box or a ps3 etc
Thats all a bit high tec for me. I still have a cathode ray tube and a VHS recorder
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 22:30:33 PM »
Thats all a bit high tec for me. I still have a cathode ray tube and a VHS recorder

......And a digital reciever

Im still using a grammophone and this message was originally  sent using smoke signals and converted by a spotty 17 year old wizard with an ap....whatever that is

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Intense? Who? Me? ..... Thanks Geddy! :)
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »
Very good piece on this very subject on BBC's Click technology show. Much talk about 4K compression technologies allowing high quality render of 4K content at acceptable data rates and file sizes making 4K download viable on a decent internet connection. Also mention of the "Mastered in 4K" labelled blurays which I suspect is a highly dubious marketing move as a lot of films are indeed mastered in 4K but are rendered at 1080p on the disc. A native uncompressed 4K media equivalent to bluray is still not there yet.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
Does anyone know how the 4k Cinemas show the films - ie are they on special larger "industrial type" discs?

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 19:23:46 PM »
I'd guess they're couriered on regular magnetic hard drives. A bit too big to download.

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 22:15:30 PM »
Most modern cinemas are on high speed digital networks and receive their films as secure copy protected files directly to their network digital players.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
 Would be surprised if a 4K film was delivered like that. Even on a dedicated network, that's a staggering number of bits to transfer.

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Staggeringly large though the files may be ( approximately 4x the file size of a 1080p movie file ) they are indeed transferred digitally. Overnight transfers I believe.

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 17:06:11 PM »
Here it comes....

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_4KTV

Ignore the ludicrous 84". The other two models are priced very comparably with what large 1080p screens started at a few years back. They've also got a rather tasty looking 4K media server and associated service in the wings too addressing the main issue with 4K. Lack of content.

http://mashable.com/2013/04/08/sony-4k-nab/

Combine this with the 4K support in the forthcoming PS4 and you can see that Sony for one has definitely decided to stake out their business around 4K as the way forward.

I can see me going for a system upgrade to 4K over 3-4 years as a phased upgrade. PS4 replaces PS3 then a new 4K capable home cinema amp/receiver (already available) and finally the screen itself.  8)

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 17:27:52 PM »
Here it comes....

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_4KTV

Ignore the ludicrous 84". The other two models are priced very comparably with what large 1080p screens started at a few years back. They've also got a rather tasty looking 4K media server and associated service in the wings too addressing the main issue with 4K. Lack of content.

http://mashable.com/2013/04/08/sony-4k-nab/

Combine this with the 4K support in the forthcoming PS4 and you can see that Sony for one has definitely decided to stake out their business around 4K as the way forward.

I can see me going for a system upgrade to 4K over 3-4 years as a phased upgrade. PS4 replaces PS3 then a new 4K capable home cinema amp/receiver (already available) and finally the screen itself.  8)
When you upgrade can I have your old stuff as I am still watching a cathode ray tube?
By the way, does it do this new fangled colour or is it good old black and white?  ;D
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 18:39:17 PM »
When you upgrade can I have your old stuff as I am still watching a cathode ray tube?
By the way, does it do this new fangled colour or is it good old black and white?  ;D

what's wrong with the Radiogram?!   ???

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
Well,  I will be looking to sell the PS3, Onkyo 7.1 receiver and Philips Aurea 1080p screen at some point. I have a couple of people in mind for the Onkyo already. :)

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »
Just looked at Onkyo's current flagship receiver and while it does 4K upscaling it doesn't support native 4K passthru. Bit of a serious omission that. Likely a result of it being early days yet for 4K. They're looking 3 grand for it too! <gulp>. There was me thinking my once top of the line model at £895 was expensive.