Author Topic: ENGLAND  (Read 27112 times)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Re: ENGLAND
« Reply #645 on: July 11, 2018, 22:28:51 PM »
Two performances England can be really proud of in this tournament, unfortunately one ended in defeat.
 Conclusion: overachievement for a young side who were managed well by Mr Southgate. They were flattered by an easy route to the knockout stages. If he keeps the nucleus of the side intact we should be expecting a decent Euro 2020 (but we know all about expectations!).
At least some pride in the national side has been restored by this group of players - well done!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:18:22 AM by DavidL »

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #646 on: July 12, 2018, 07:35:57 AM »
Agree wholeheartedly with the previous 2 posts...
A fine effort.
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #647 on: July 12, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
Yes - have to say I wasn't very confident we would even get out the Group Stage before it all kicked off so pleased some pride and hope for the future has been restored. We finally have a team to be proud of and hopefully we can watch grow together over the coming years. A few ghosts have been laid to rest.....I know it's a fairly meaningless game but it would be nice to beat Belgium Saturday.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #648 on: July 12, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »
No denying it was a good effort, but did we really do any better than what we should have done? With the way the draw opened up, we only beat teams that were ranked lower than us, apart from losing to Belgium. Croatia were always going to be the favourites against us if we're honest, but as usual pundits and a lot of fans got carried away. We tried our best, but just don't have that touch of world class that can make the difference.

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #649 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
Can certainly be proud of where we got, but it certainly was a fluke. This team does have the potential to go all the way, but they desperately need to work on attacking in open play. They are all too indecisive when it comes to that final touch that will get a goal. You can't win competitions like this on set pieces alone...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #650 on: July 12, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
I think anyone wondering how much England are lacking in quality only had to watch Modric last night.  One fairly comical but innocuous mistake aside, he was on a different level. 
HYFTOUR30

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #651 on: July 12, 2018, 17:14:33 PM »
I think anyone wondering how much England are lacking in quality only had to watch Modric last night.  One fairly comical but innocuous mistake aside, he was on a different level.

He doesn't do anything flash mate, but never gives the ball away. Unfortunately, all of our players are experts at that!

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #652 on: July 12, 2018, 19:39:46 PM »

He doesn't do anything flash mate, but never gives the ball away. Unfortunately, all of our players are experts at that!

His passing is on another level and he makes it look so easy.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #653 on: July 13, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »

His passing is on another level and he makes it look so easy.

All professional footballers should be able to pass the ball to a team mate with at least an 85% success rate.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #654 on: July 14, 2018, 00:40:22 AM »

All professional footballers should be able to pass the ball to a team mate with at least an 85% success rate.

Absolutely!  The point I was making was that Modric does it better than most.

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #655 on: July 14, 2018, 16:18:22 PM »
We have got plenty of young talent coming through, the trouble is though they just get farmed out on loan to lower league teams, and don't get enough top division football under their belts. We need a rule where you can only have so many foreign players in your starting eleven in the PL, then more of our young talent would get top league experience.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #656 on: July 14, 2018, 16:59:14 PM »
Harry Kane golden boot winner.

Decent penalty taker but has there ever been a more undeserved winner?

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #657 on: July 14, 2018, 21:41:57 PM »
Harry Kane golden boot winner.

Decent penalty taker but has there ever been a more undeserved winner?

Strange thing to say mate?! Whether they come off your arse, your shin or your knee, they all count, so why shouldn't he deserve it? Gerd Muller and Lineker both won it, and none of their goals were worldies.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #658 on: July 15, 2018, 00:15:53 AM »
Three of Kane's are penalties and while yep, they all count one, it's not quite the same achievement as a goal from open play, generally speaking. So I'm going to say that Lukaku has the most impressive goal-scoring record of the World Cup.

So far. I'm still hoping Mandzukic will win the Golden Boot. He just needs another four.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #659 on: July 15, 2018, 00:35:28 AM »

Strange thing to say mate?! Whether they come off your arse, your shin or your knee, they all count, so why shouldn't he deserve it? Gerd Muller and Lineker both won it, and none of their goals were worldies.

Perhaps I just think he's been bloody awful apart from pens. Missed a couple of sitters both against Croatia and Begium and contributed very little in build up play.

1 of England's worst players in the tournament imo. Certainly since the knock out stages, perhaps he was injured?

To make matters worse he actually said "England put the pressure on". He should be stripped of any awards for that remark alone!