35 Years Ago Tonight..

Started by Slim, June 11, 2012, 20:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostwheel

Thanks for that: my first was HYF in 1988.  I kinda feel I really missed out on those early years!  But I can't complain: I've seen them over 20 times since, and they still rock live TBH...

zoony

Great post slim. I was also 17 when I saw them for the first time, oh for those days back again mate  ;).

Andy42g

Quote from: zoony on June 12, 2012, 18:11:42 pm
Great post slim. I was also 17 when I saw them for the first time, oh for those days back again mate  ;).

Bring the 70s or 80s back - no thanks. The trousers - the hair cuts....  :o. Things are much better now.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

NeilP

but I had more hair and less trousers those days.........

wern't so bad ;)

BaldiePete

Quote from: thefishy on June 12, 2012, 10:48:47 am
yes great read..i'd have been 12 so probably going thru a Yes phase at the time as GFTO was due for release i think.. ah great days...

A Yes phase when you were 12  :o  That probably explains a lot.  ;)

NeilP

I think I might have been in the same pub as you before the gig tbh, just a Britvic though as I was on my bike :)

Analog RH

Enjoyed that.  :)

I didn't go on the basis that I was only five at the time.  ;)

zoony

Quote from: Analog Rockin' Hard on June 12, 2012, 21:54:32 pm

I didn't go on the basis that I was only five at the time.  ;)

You were probably more sensible and well behaved than you are now though mate  ;).

Neilyyz

Enjoyed the post Slim. Brought back many memories for me as well. I was not at that gig in fact my first Rush gig was the Bingley Hall shows in Sept 79 when I was 16. But the fact you were in the City Tavern before the show brought back many memories. In the late 70s early 80s there was almost a gig every week at the City Hall, which is still the best venue by far in Newcastle. The Mayfair had its fair share of big names but was no good when you were 16 as you either had to borrow someones I.D. or be able to grow a beard as you had to be 18 to get in. Seen a lot of big names in those days when camping outside the City Hall for tickets seemed to be a weekly event. I can recall camping out for UFO tickets one time and when they opened the doors the following morning it was tickets for Uriah Heep they were selling. Got front row though and a bloody good show it was as well. Ahh the memories, there getting further and further way though.

Slim

The Mayfair was a great venue as well - is it still going? Saw a cracking Motorhead gig there in '81, and Prefab Sprout in '84. Some of my school chums saw AC/DC there in '78. Must have been quite an atmosphere in that little place.

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on June 13, 2012, 13:01:02 pm
The Mayfair was a great venue as well - is it still going? Saw a cracking Motorhead gig there in '81, and Prefab Sprout in '84. Some of my school chums saw AC/DC there in '78. Must have been quite an atmosphere in that little place.

No mate - knocked down at the end of the 90's to make way for a car park and crap mall with cinema and bars and restaurants.

Saw the last gig there - Fun Lovin' Criminals.
Anger is a gift.

Slim

Ah, thanks .. that's a shame. Still I can't say I did a lot to keep it going over the years.

DaveC

Quote from: Slim on June 13, 2012, 13:01:02 pm

The mayfair - brings back memories!! Saw Judas Priest, Sabbath, UFO, Ted Nugent, Molly Hatchet, Cheap Trick, Police and of course  AC/DC with Bon Scott loads of times. Once AC/DC were playing Thursday and Friday - There was a fire on thursday - but Friday's gig went ahead. The place stunk of smoke, there was soot all over and 6 inches of water on the floor. Probably twice the number of people there that should have been. Check this out - and look at the year by year guide. Amazing bands and an amazing venue. Happy days! 

http://www.newcastlestuff.com/mayfair/mayfair.html
DaveC

captainkurtz

Thats a good site - it appears FLC wasnt the last gig - that was in October 1998.
Anger is a gift.

kev_barber

Quote from: ianb on June 11, 2012, 20:55:24 pm
Very good to see you in high spirits and re-energised Slim.

I went thru the same experience at City Hall in 1980 with Gary Numan and subsequently enjoyed his gig at O2 Academy the other week.

Of all the venues there'll never be better than City Hall round here though... if only they would play there again... man o man!!!

Brilliant read and just about sums up what I felt at the very first gig I attended, which was also Gary Numan at Sheffield City Hall back in October '79. I can still vividly remember the shock & awe I felt at the lights & sound and being so close to it all. It changed me forever.

I started listening to Rush & Numan around the same time (Rush slightly earlier) and have stayed loyal to both ever since. Unfortunately it took until 1992 before I first saw Rush and have only seen them half a dozen times since, whereas I've seen Numan live well over 50 times and finally met the man at his latest gig in Sheffield a few weeks ago. A top down to earth bloke and still a great live show.

Rush & Numan are the only acts that still give me the excited buzz about seeing them perform as it first did nearly 33 years ago.