thumbs up / thumbs down - Cygnus X-1

Started by Slim, January 17, 2004, 23:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Letter R

Battlescar

Quote. I don't go back to it much, but I remember being blown away By Cygnus X-1 as a 16 year old, so the 16 year old in me voted! I love it!

Likewise - the 15 year old me says that I love it.  Probably if the 39 year old me heard it for the first time now I'd not listen a second time but sentimentality gets the better of me  :)
Keats and Yeats are on your side
But you lose 'cause weird lover Wilde is on mine

Slim

I guess I must have been a particularly mature 17 year old, because I could see it for what it is even then.  Crap!

Ian_Hewitson

Likewise - the 15 year old me says that I love it.

Thailand Express

I've decided I like it again after hearing Alex' feedback intro to it on RiR.
It's truly daft though and I'm sure Steven Hawking would find major flaws in the science behind it, but in 1977 those last couple of minutes must've been the heaviest thing ever recorded.

Oor Wullie

Cygnus X-1 has never been one of my favourite tracks.  It's ok but not a classic in my Rush book.

That's just my opinion of course.

I have went for option 3 in this case.
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

Micke.K

I like it! 8)

Works really well live, IMO..

Fishy

QuoteI've decided I like it again after hearing Alex' feedback intro to it on RiR.
It's truly daft though and I'm sure Steven Hawking would find major flaws in the science behind it, but in 1977 those last couple of minutes must've been the heaviest thing ever recorded.

yes luv that feedback.... although i find the track a bit of a plodder...
From the Land of Honest Men.

Bruce_Macgregor

I voted for "I don't like it" because it is the harsh truth.

It is very close to being rubbish but if I had voted for this as rubbish then what would I call Anagram or Tai Shan?

Really never got this track at all and cannot imagine why Neil would then want to tarnish Hemispheres by the tenuous link. I guess he must have felt he had promised Book ll and had to deliver even if they weren't really the same story.

But back to Cygnus X1. I think it is piss poor but I am clearly in a minority. I really hope they don't play it live. Then you'll be able to spot me. I'll be the one flicking through my tour programme.