thumbs up / thumbs down - Cygnus X-1

Started by Slim, January 17, 2004, 23:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Analog RH

January 18, 2004, 07:52:26 am #15 Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 07:53:03 am by The_Analog_Parent
AFTK is a fine album, but not one I go back to regularly.

Some Rush albums I play weekly (Rush, FBN, PeW, PoW, Presto), AFTK is in the "every now and then" catagory.

If I don't listen to Presto once a week I stop breathing......

Ian Hills

Love it!
A prologue to the brilliant Hemispheres.
Through the void to be destroyed
or is there something more?
Yes there was so much more to come....
On to Book II.
Hammersmith Odeon May 1979
Stafford Bingley Hall Sept. 1979
Hammersmith Odeon June 1980
Wembley Arena November 1981
Wembley Arena May 1983
Birmingham NEC April 1988
Wembley  April 1988
Wembley  April 1992
Wembley  September 2004
Wembley October 2007-cancelled!
O2 Arena May 2001

Japes

A spooky bass/drum intro, a crashing riff and lyrics about a black hole with part II of the story on an entire side of the following record...... could only be Rush   ;D

A great example of why people loved or loathed them.

As for me I quite liked it at the time and enjoyed hearing the first bit on the VT tour.

Dave_Lack

AFTK will always be special to me as it was the first Rush album I ever heard. Like Andy, I don't go back to it much, but I remember being blown away By Cygnus X-1 as a 16 year old, so the 16 year old in me voted! I love it!

Fridge

On the whole, I was forced to vote "Rubbish".

There are some good atmospheric bits in parts, but it is utterly ruined by the cringeworthy "Primary School Astronomy" introduction, crap lyrics, and an awful, plodding midsection that goes on far too long. (They play this in RiR and it is almost soporific.)
As far as I am concerned, it does not deserve the most tenuous association with"Book 2" which is another matter entirely....

A real dog.
Ach, if Dougie were here, he'd tell you himself....

captainkurtz

I think its amazing - To me the lyrics are pretty irrelevant.  I've heard that piece of music thousands of times and I have no desire to fathom what on earth Neil is on about.  Its all about the music, melodies, production and arrangements.

Having said that, its very much of its time.  If they tried to pull off something like that on the next album, you wouldn't see me for dust.  ;D
Anger is a gift.

Ian Hills

It is assosiated with Book II, because it is the begining of the story. On listening to A Farewell To Kings when it originally came out, you had to wait a year for the next album to find out if they get destroyed by the black hole of Cygnus X-1 or arrive through the Astral door to soar....
Which they do into a whole new adventure throughout the first side of Hemispheres.
They should do a Cygnus X-1 Bookk III. Are the heart & Mind still united in their perfect sphere.
Could be an episode of Star Treck.
Hammersmith Odeon May 1979
Stafford Bingley Hall Sept. 1979
Hammersmith Odeon June 1980
Wembley Arena November 1981
Wembley Arena May 1983
Birmingham NEC April 1988
Wembley  April 1988
Wembley  April 1992
Wembley  September 2004
Wembley October 2007-cancelled!
O2 Arena May 2001

hazy

Slim

QuoteOn the whole, I was forced to vote "Rubbish".

There are some good atmospheric bits in parts, but it is utterly ruined by the cringeworthy "Primary School Astronomy" introduction, crap lyrics, and an awful, plodding midsection that goes on far too long. (They play this in RiR and it is almost soporific.)
As far as I am concerned, it does not deserve the most tenuous association with"Book 2" which is another matter entirely....

A real dog.

In total agreement with you Paul, especially on the association with the exquisite Hemispheres which is unfortunate bordering on criminal in my view.

An indigestible, overlong dog's breakfast of stop-start, leaden, repetitive sci-fi heavy metal.  Horrible.

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Bassassin

As Sary described it - Rush at their proggiest & wierdest.

AFTK was the first Rush album I bought (In 1980 - anyone remember the

Click the banner & be Facebook mates with Maya29. Ambitious But Rubbish? You decide.

http://www.maya29.co.uk

Phil

It's an "I like it" vote from this hombre

Dave Brenchley

I like it. It adds to the diversity of this fine album.

Only really tarnished by the nerdy spoken intro I think. (They should have got that out of their system with The Necromancer...)
We're all here in celebration, this music's gonna make us strong....
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

Sean