Fishy

From the Land of Honest Men.

captainkurtz

Anger is a gift.

Fishy

döm

not too far from Vienna, I think
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Fishy

is there such a thing as Croatian Whirls..?

Andrew_Haldane

March 07, 2012, 16:47:01 pm #6 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:32:12 am by Bisto
Yes and it was brilliant for me and the missus as a quiet relaxing holiday it was fabulous but we went in half term about the end of March last year to Pula which is a quiet coastal town in the North East with a modern holiday resort. We got lucky with our hotel which was big enough but a little more isolated from the bigger resort a few minutes walk away. It was so unbelievably clean, No graffitti....absolutely none and no litter! The sunsets were truly unbelievable!  They don't have sandy beaches on that part of the coastline but the water was crystal clear as if someone had left the tap running for a couple of thousand years. Apart from their native tongue the locals all seemed to speak English as well as German and Italian. Most of the tourists are from the European mainland and are families or retired couples. We hardly ever saw any large groups of singles, hardly any Brits (which was heaven!) and no drunks, but it was early in the season.
The main town is a pretty little old fishing village with some interesting local shops and a couple of art galleries. We took a coach to Porec harbour (25minutes) from there we took a day trip to Venice (2 and a bit hours) on the ferry (very cheap duty free £9 for a litre of Ron Bacardi) We did a couple of coach trips and a ferry along the coast and visited several very pretty historic towns. A couple of them were medieval some of them date back to roman times. If you want more of a cultural sight seeing holiday without having to rely on organised day trips maybe you'd be better off heading East where they have some world heritage site national parks but you'll need to hire a car. Being a former communist country the public transport system is virtually non existent  and not integrated. Large parts of the country are cut off unless you go by road. I would definitely go again. Prices were quite a bit cheaper than Italy and they are Not in the Euro zone the good exchange rate was pretty good. Food in big hotels was international with a lot of unusual and fantastic fish but some odd cuts of meat. Everything fresh though and people generally very helpful and friendly. Restaurants and Cafes and Pubs were generally good but as with everywhere on holiday you have to be a bit careful not to get ripped off and not to go too far off piste late at night. Having said that we never felt conspicuously foreign/British or in danger  at any time except in Venice. Highly recommended Hass! :)

captainkurtz

Thanks Andrew - thats really very helpful.

I think we are planning to go first week of June and what you've said has reinforced that.  Sounds like a chav-free zone.

Lovely.
Anger is a gift.

Dixkot

Went to Dubrovnik in 1990, before the war.

Toured up and down the coast and it really is a beautiful country.  Wonderful scenery, food, drink, culture.  People were a bit 'Soviet' when I was there, but I'd assume that has changed.  As Bisto says in some areas the beaches are shingle rather than sand, but not a great drawback.  I go again, for sure.

Bez

Slim went a couple of years back....he was looking for a Euro-zone free destination.....there's probably a thread somewhere...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

captainkurtz

Lack of sandy beaches is causing concern for the better half.
Anger is a gift.

Andrew_Haldane

March 08, 2012, 10:14:34 am #11 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:16:41 am by Bisto
Quote from: captainkurtz on March 08, 2012, 09:25:07 am
Lack of sandy beaches is causing concern for the better half.

we used this guide its pretty reliable!

http://www.croatiatraveller.com/Istria/beaches.html

http://www.croatiatraveller.com/BestBeaches.htm

Slim

Quote from: captainkurtz on March 08, 2012, 09:25:07 amLack of sandy beaches is causing concern for the better half.

We went to Lapad bay - really nice place, very hot in July although I was told the temperature was unseasonally high when we were there. The beach wasn't sandy, true - but the upside of that is that the water was beautifully clear (and warm). Lots of cute brightly-coloured fishes.

Good restaurants and bars round the coast. Dubrovnik is a wonderful place to visit, full of character and still bears the scars of the war.

captainkurtz

Here now - last day.

Wonderful place - really really beautiful.  Highly recommended.

Anger is a gift.

Slim

Nice. Whereabouts are you?