Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? - Carve Away The Stone

Started by Reg, January 14, 2004, 19:29:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric B

QuoteIt really amazes me how people slate this and then say they love Out of the Cradle. Mindboggling

maria

i went for option 4 as well. i don't really have any strong opinion on it. it's quite mediocre

Slim

QuoteIt really amazes me how people slate this and then say they love Out of the Cradle. Mindboggling  :o

I really like CATS, it's a bit of a fun rocker no more no less  8)

I like CATS a great deal, certainly one of the best things they did in the '90s - but I can't really see the connection with Out Of The Cradle, which is an ugly composition indeed, just awful.

Reg

January 17, 2004, 17:39:59 pm #18 Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 17:40:59 pm by Reg_Sweeting-Jones
QuoteIt really amazes me how people slate this and then say they love Out of the Cradle. Mindboggling
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Fridge

This is another track I had to listen to again to refresh my memory.
Its actually Ok, quite a spirited little toe tapper, though certainly not a classic...
Ach, if Dougie were here, he'd tell you himself....

Slim

QuoteSlim, I think that Thomas Sawyer was referring to Chris Quartly's comments.

I know that Reg.  I wasn't referring to Thomas' remarks, but to the connection implied by Chris' post.

Oor Wullie

I really like the song so I went from option 2.

Ok, it's not a classic by any means of the word and the chorus can be a little drab but the verses are cool and I really like the guitar solo into the middle 8 part of the song.

Thumbs up from me.
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Dave_Lack

I don't think there IS a connection as such, rather that Chris likes CATS while he's not fussed on OOTC, an opinion that isn't shared by others, including me.

David Egan

Has anybody noticed that the intro to CATS sounds very much like Heat of The Moment by Asia? - that was the first thought that came into my head when I first heard CATS.

And I can't say I rate CATS too much.

wuhan

You can't compare CATS to other Rush instrumentals. YYZ and La Villa are definitely best instrumentals so far. When I first listened to T4E I didn't like it. I bought AWIP 7 months ago and I started to like it. I guess it takes some time to like that song. It has nice drum, bass riffs. Geddy's voice sounds cool.
It's  a shame Rush couldn't get any Grammy's for their instrumentals.
And thus begins the web.

Tom Garrett

it"s one of those songs i enjoy listening to once in a while, a bit like most of roll the bones, ok to listen to occasionally, but not too often.
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Analog RH

QuoteYou can't compare CATS to other Rush instrumentals. YYZ and La Villa are definitely best instrumentals so far. When I first listened to T4E I didn't like it. I bought AWIP 7 months ago and I started to like it. I guess it takes some time to like that song. It has nice drum, bass riffs. Geddy's voice sounds cool.
It's

Chris Quartly

Personally I do think that CATS and OOtC have a few similarities. Neither are trying to be anything fancy, just basic rock and roll tracks. The playing isn't anything special in either track, they're both played at similar tempos. I just get a similar vibe from what they were trying to do with those tracks.

However I think CATS works whilst OOtC doesn't. Nothing special  ;D
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

wuhan

Mate, last time I checked CATS had vocals. Sure you're not confusing it with Limbo?
And thus begins the web.