My Favorite Headache vs Victor

Started by Neil_W, January 15, 2004, 19:11:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thailand Express

January 16, 2004, 02:38:01 am #15 Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 03:11:58 am by Thailand_Express
I remember Neil Peart saying Rush was an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts - and these two records offer substantial proof. I would make Victor v MFH a low scoring draw, there are pros and cons with each release:-
MFH - Nice example of Geddy's melodic gifts. A few corking tunes (esp. Runaway Train and Grace to Grace). The return of the Gedster's voice, sounding stronger than ever. Some nice string arrangements. However the album seems a bit one paced. There's not a great deal to keep you interested for long. Lyrically it's not classic although some of the ideas touchingly refer to Neil's plight.

Victor - Very adventurous departure from Rush by Alex. Keeping the flashy trappings of solo guitarist's albums to a minimum. Astonishingly heavy in places. A couple of beauty instrumentals. However the album lacks any great hooks, features some dreadful lyrics and even worse vocals.

Neither currently feature in my CD player.

Nephronic

QuoteI remember Neil Peart saying Rush was an example of the whole being greater than the some of the parts - and these two records offer substantial proof. I would make Victor v MFH a low scoring draw, there are pros and cons with each release:-
MFH - Nice example of Geddy's melodic gifts. A few corking tunes (esp. Runaway Train and Grace to Grace). The return of the Gedster's voice, sounding stronger than ever. Some nice string arrangements. However the album seems a bit one paced. There's not a great deal to keep you interested for long. Lyrically it's not classic although some of the ideas touchingly refer to Neil's plight.

Victor - Very adventurous departure from Rush by Alex. Keeping the flashy trappings of solo guitarist's albums to a minimum. Astonishingly heavy in places. A couple of beauty instrumentals. However the album lacks any great hooks, features some dreadful lyrics and even worse vocals.

Beautifuly summed up there Thailand.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Eric B

January 16, 2004, 05:56:41 am #17 Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 05:57:39 am by Thomas_Sawyer
QuoteI remember Neil Peart saying Rush was an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts - and these two records offer substantial proof. I would make Victor v MFH a low scoring draw, there are pros and cons with each release:-

I'll second a lot of that as well.

Victor:

Ashley

January 17, 2004, 03:29:52 am #18 Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 03:31:01 am by Ashley_Davidson
Very interesting discussion chaps.

I choose Victor over MFH every time because of the reasons that have already been given.

It sounds alive and full of vitality from the first chord bursting from the speakers. Some absolutely sublime guitar work and as Slim has said some excellent production too.

Now I also do quite like MFH, yes it is softer, and yes the songs are more easy listening, but it is well crafted, and well produced and I reckon Geddy has some pretty good songs and melodies in there.

Interestingly enough, I play these records at very different times. MFH is the sort of thing I would listen too whilst in the bath, and have done so quite often, whereas Victor is SOR type of music, it really gets you going & in a great mood.

Work in progress on the other hand.....

maria

for me it would be Victor.
much more original, a real departure from rush. MFH is just too much like Rush and that's not just because the voice is the same.
although the lyrics are close to the knuckle sometimes the music is great, experimental and a real mix of sounds.
i listen to Victor quite a bit.
MFH has some excellent songs but, doesn't quite do it for me.

Sary

I added MFH into my collection about two months ago, after having bought six Rush albums, 2112 being the oldest and Signals the newest in the back catalogue.

Not having heard Geddy's voice the way it sounds today, it was interesting to have a listen to such a recent album. I thought his voice would be even more different from, say, the stuff he sings on Signals, but it still sounds unbelievably young!  :o I'm sure I would never have guessed it was a middle-aged man singing on it if I hadn't known it beforehand.

Anyway, I do like MFH, a lot. It's one of those records I put in and let it run through for at least a couple of times before changing to something else. Working At Perfekt is a brilliant track!

I don't have Victor, yet. It would be interesting to hear Alex's solo effort, as well, though. I'll see if I can find it someday in the cd-racks...

Funny that some of you think his music is too weird or something -after all, isn't that the reason you got into Rush?? lol Well, I suppose there are two kinds of weirdnesses... The right and the wrong kind.  ;)

Analog RH

Quotefor me it would be Victor.
much more original, a real departure from rush. MFH is just too much like Rush and that's not just because the voice is the same.

Spot on, maria.

The only thing on Victor which is Rush-sounding is Promise, the weakest song on the album. A Rush-by-numbers track it sound like a t4e reject.

maria

i try not to analysis things too deeply, it sometimes spoils or takes the edge of th ethings you like...but...

after i wrote that i did wonder that if MFH sounds so much like rush that's there's no real distinction and if Victor sounds so much more original and individualistic, it makes you wonder just how much of a partnership the Lee/Lifeson writing team is.

Phil

Victor, without a shadow of a doubt