My Favorite Headache vs Victor

Started by Neil_W, January 15, 2004, 19:11:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_W

Apologies if you've already done this one, but I was interested to get opinion. As for my thoughts? My Favorite Headache is 'Test For Echo II' (which doesnt say a lot),  whilst if Alex had released 'Victor II' it would probably have sounded like Vapor Trails ... a magnificent album that thankfully erases the memory of its predecssor and what I consider to be the only blip on Rush's illustrious career.
I guess this summing up also covers TFE vs VT.
Over to you ...

The Letter R

Funnily enough I was talking to a mate about this the other week - I reckoned that the Board would be more in favour of MFH however my vote would go to Alex's Victor as it is more diverse - has tons of energy and was not what I was expecting - first time I heard it I thought "Sh!t Alex must have been a frustrated guitarist on the last few albums" as this album really shreads!! Not taking anything away from Geddy's solo effort but is and always will be a bit too near the Rush sound of that era which cannot really be helped in many ways as he brings 2 sounds to the table - Bass and Vocals - would have perhaps like to have seen him use other vocalists as Alex did to add a different dimension.

Sean

January 15, 2004, 19:37:56 pm #2 Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 19:39:44 pm by Sean
Victor is a very hard album to listen to, for me personally at least.

Analog RH

Victor every time. MFH is lukewarm and generally uninspired, Victor bristles with energy and contains one of Alex's very best guitar moments in the opening bars of I Am The Spirit.

Oor Wullie

I really like both albums but prefer MFH to Victor.  It is more listener friendly.  But Alex's guitar on Victor is big and beefy.

I love it.

When did you change your name Andy??
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

Chris Quartly

I'd probably go for MFH over Victor, just. Probably mainly because I love Ged's vocals and I think MFH is more of an album whereas Victor is a bit of a disjointed collections of songs albeit very strong ones. And to hear Ged's voice on new material had a strong impact on me.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Dave Brenchley

MFH for me. I recognise that Victor is inherently a more 'interesting' album, but for me it's a little too hard on the ears. I don't think Victor works that well as a whole album either, it's just a little too dis-jointed.

MFH on the other hand drifts by in a very pleasant fashion  (meant as a compliment ;D). I like it a lot. There is nothing on it which is cringe-inducingly bad, unlike say CP and Tfe, and a number of the songs are very good indeed.

Also I have played MFH a hell of a lot more than Victor which I guess is indication enough.
We're all here in celebration, this music's gonna make us strong....
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

Slim

January 15, 2004, 20:28:00 pm #7 Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 20:31:36 pm by Slim
QuoteApologies if you've already done this one, but I was interested to get opinion. As for my thoughts? My Favorite Headache is 'Test For Echo II' (which doesnt say a lot),  whilst if Alex had released 'Victor II' it would probably have sounded like Vapor Trails ... a magnificent album that thankfully erases the memory of its predecssor and what I consider to be the only blip on Rush's illustrious career.

Well, although my point of view on T4E is very different from yours (I consider it to be the best thing the band has done since Presto and a dramatic improvement on its two predecessors in particular) I'm broadly in agreement with you with respect to Victor and My Favourite Headache.

I find My Favourite Headache to be bereft of inspiration; apart from one or two nice chord changes (literally two I think) it's just the inoffensive sound of people playing pointless songs with a bloke singing dull lyrics over them.  Sorry, but it really is a clunker.  Crap, frankly.

Victor however is extremely sharp, a great record, inspirational and inspired.  There's so much spirit and imagination; the songs are mostly very strong and the production and arrangements are more imaginative and accomplished than I've heard on any Rush record since Presto by MILES.  I would love to see some of the craft and imagination that went into this album going into a Rush album.

Reg

January 15, 2004, 20:42:18 pm #8 Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 20:42:50 pm by Reg_Sweeting-Jones
QuoteI would love to see some of the craft and imagination that went into this album going into a Rush album.
What he said.

Victor was a jolt in the arm after Counterparts and Test For Echo.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Ron

Victor has been on the playlist occasionally, and MFH is collecting dust at the moment, so that gives you an idea what my favourite is.
As said before by a couple of people, I think Victor is much rawer, innovative and inspired. I love the dark mood on quite a few songs on this.
MFH has very few highlights, I'm afraid. The opening bass is promising and I like the song where the 'other' drummer is playing.
For the rest, it just meanders on and on.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

stereoroid

January 15, 2004, 21:21:48 pm #10 Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 21:22:13 pm by stereoroid
As a bassist, I'm naturally biased towards MFH, and there are some really great songs on there (fav: Runaway Train). Victor has a lot going for it, though some of the execution didn't match the ideas. I would have hoped a collaboration between LaLerxst and Les Claypool would have amounted to much more than "The Big Dance"...

Neil_W

Well it seems 50/50 at the moment ... I wish I had set up a poll now! Just to clarify my gripe with MFH, the songs seem to start as if they are going somewhere; full of energy and creativity and just when you reach the point of climax ... it all goes limp. Its as if Geddy didnt have the conviction to see it through to the end and instead bottled out for a safe 'feel good' song. No no no! Alex however had the courage to try something different on every song and it damn well worked! Good on ya Alex!

uxter

I am a victor man, no mistake, I put it up there with Steve Hacketts Please dont Touch as a wonderfully inventive broody musical landscape full of interest. MFH whilst better than TfE (imho) is just dissapointing, too safe and my listening had moved on from Counterparts where this album seems to sit musically, do I remember the timeline correctly, didnt Victor come out before TfE? I was sure it had which makes TfE even harder to accept in my mind

Slim

January 15, 2004, 23:51:19 pm #13 Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 23:52:36 pm by Slim
A lot of comments on My Favourite Headache make an interesting point - it sounds a lot like '90s Rush, and I'd agree, at least in terms of general style.  What was the point, then?  He really should have tried something a bit different.  Back in the late '70s and early '80s Geddy occasionally remarked that he had ideas that wouldn't fit on a Rush album which might crop up on a solo record sometime (although one of these ideas, the Visage-esque electronic backing for The Weapon DID turn up on a Rush record of course).  He was even talking about doing disco music for a while.

But his solo work, when it finally appeared, really wasn't a departure of any kind: no new ideas, there's nothing experimental, daring or even different about it whatever.  It's really just '90s Rush without Peart's lyrics and Lifeson's guitar, and that's bad Rush.

Nephronic

But his solo work, when it finally appeared, really wasn't a departure of any kind: no new ideas, there's nothing experimental, daring or even different about it whatever.
That is very, very true. However, I quite like it's relative blandness, it's easy listening Rush. I sometimes wonder how it would have turned out if he'd made it without Ben Mink. Victor and MFH both indicated what Alex and Geddy brought to the Rush table as far as songwriting is concerned. Sounds like Alex's 'experiments' are reined in by Geddy.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?