Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? - Dog Years

Started by Dave_Pierce, January 09, 2004, 22:04:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_Lack

I think the theme of the lyric is OK, but the lyrics themselves are the let down. Musically it's ok too.

A 3 for e.

SpottedDog

The music ain't bad, the drumming as seen on NP's WIP video is pretty damn good... but the lyrics are godawful! What a howler!  lol
Rotterdam was a blast!

Bruce_Macgregor

I've known for some time that I'm in a minority on this one.

I really like it. Nice and heavy guitar riffs, great drumming and for me a nice witty unpretentious lyric. A lighthearted look at Neil's oft considered subject of ageing.

I've never understood why people should hate this song so much but I've known since I started posting on this site and Rush.net that fans don't like it.

I would LOVE to hear them play it live and while you all nip out for a beer I'll pinch your seats at the front.

rascal houdi

Don't much like this one, don't really despise it either so I went for option 4.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Oor Wullie

I don't like it at all.  I went for option 5.  One of the worst Rush tunes I've ever heard and there aren't many.

Totally cack.

Sorry boys.
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

Sean

I went for option two.  OK, some of the lyrics grate a little but its fun, has lots of energy and the theme is one I empathise with.

Tom Garrett

not crazy about it, don"t hate it, but some of the lyrics are too cheesy.
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Japes

In other threads I've railed against TFE in general citing it as one of Rush's blandest records but after actually listening to it again for the last week or so I'm gonna change my viewpoint, especially about Dog Years which I thought was a complete stinker!

Now I really like this song - even if there has to be a 'stewards enquiry' into lyrics which are in complete contrast to Neil's usual world weary stuff.

To me Alex's guitar sound and textures are reminiscent of Hemispheres with the whole feel of the song being very upbeat. As others have been brave enough to suggest it would be fun to hear it live and also to see what animation they could come up with to accompany the song  :D

Will

Always liked it,one of my favourites on T4E.
It's hard to take it apart and analyze why,it just works for me.It's typical RUSH, a cracking tune, operating on different levels/themes.The lyrics deal with
Mortality,Basic Instincts("Hydrant"-Signals reference?),Time,Striving for"Higher Levels",Neils wordplay is there,"Sirius".All laced with a large dose of humour and tongues firmly in cheeks(check out the band photo's on facing page!)
But Hey,That's just what I think!
Would'nt it be boring if we all thought the same?("WE ARE THE PRIESTS........")

hazy

Music's cool  :D

But what was Neil thinking on the lyrics?

Oh well, every single thing he pens cant be spot on,
he's only human!

Nephronic

It's S H I T E with a capital S H I T!!
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Fishy

QuoteIt's S H I T E with a capital S H I T!!

so you're still undecided then ?   ;D
From the Land of Honest Men.

Reg

QuoteI rather like The Colo(u)r of Right. Can't really remember why right now though - must give it a spin to find out :-)
I wouldn't bother myself Dave - I recently listened to it, and it is still a relatively harmless, mediocre, plodding Rush tune.  Nothing great, nothing shit.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

I couldn't vote for the last option, as that is a bit too extreme, and will be reserved for 1 Rush track only.  Oh, take it back, 3 tracks: Carve Away The Stone, The Speed Of Love, and Stick It Out.

But Dog Years is heading that way - there is some passable musical bits but the lyrics?  Sigh.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Nick

I like Dog Years, a lighthearted look at the passage of time, the riff is cool in the beginning as well.

Shame about most of the rest of the album. At least DY has a bit of go about it.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.