Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? - Cut to the Chase

Started by Dave_Pierce, January 05, 2004, 21:10:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Analog RH

Nephronic

Good but not great. I love the Hammond organ in it, they should have used this more as it would have suit the album.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Reg

I too, love the Hammond organ segment.  I think I voted for this as best track on Counterparts.  But classic, it ain't.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Nicola B

Have been listening to Counterparts a lot recently and I definitely think its one of the best on it. Not sure if there is a bad track on any Rush album, its like beer, no bad ones, some are just much better than others. Could make an exception to the rule for Speed of Love though....
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...

rascal houdi

Thumbs up for this one. One of the better things on CP so I've it the 'really like it but not a classic' vote.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Dave Brenchley

"I like it but it's not one of my faves"

Voted for the above option and then gave it a spin just to make sure. It was actually better than expected. I was most struck by how good it sounded. This, I think, is easily the best recorded of the post ASoH albums - I love the really dry vocal sound.

Back to CTTC, one thing I have never liked is the "cut" section where everything flashes from one side to the other. A bit too gimmicky for my taste...
We're all here in celebration, this music's gonna make us strong....
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

Dave_Pierce

QuoteBack to CTTC, one thing I have never liked is the "cut" section where everything flashes from one side to the other. A bit too gimmicky for my taste...
Funny, that's one part that I've always thought sounded very cool and still do to this day! Oh well....  :-/

Tom Garrett

QuoteI like it but it's not one of my favourites.

My favourite from the album is "Cold Fire".
same here, but everyday glory is my fav.
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Dave_Pierce

Quote...everyday glory is my fav.
I'm sure this song will make an appearance on another episode of "Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down"!!

Led Boots

Thumbs up definitely. This is my favourite song from Counterparts, and has been since I first heard the album. I would love if Rush played it live on their upcoming tour(?). The solo section is superb. I love this song. It's like Dog Years for me. A really underrated song with much musical prowess.

-Led
Metallica - ACC Sec 121, Row 19, Seats 19 or 20

Japes

January 08, 2004, 23:58:07 pm #25 Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 15:13:51 pm by jean-paul
Definite thumbs up from the Japester here. Like the album as a whole ( see other threads) and Cut To The Chase is one of the highlights which i'd love to hear live as well - has it ever been played live?

Led Boots

Quotehas it ever been played live?

Nope, not yet.

-Led
Metallica - ACC Sec 121, Row 19, Seats 19 or 20

Pudders

Its in the 'I like it but its not a classic' section for me. Nuff said!

Thailand Express

I'm one of the bilge drinkers that actually likes Speed of Love! Are there any others out there? In fact I probably prefer it to CTTC which in all honesty is one of my least favourites on CP. I enjoyed it initially mainly due to the extreme heaviness, but I now find the main riff quite monotonous and repetitive.

mickpaz2112

Some people say they've seen angels,
I've seen United,
That's enough.