How Covid19 has affected my job/business

Started by Bisto, April 13, 2020, 17:38:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blank

Still employed in the same place but hours, practices and/or pay have been altered somewhat
2 (7.4%)
Still employed in the same place but hours, practises and/or pay have been changed/restructured radically
0 (0%)
I now work from home
10 (37%)
I've been placed on furlough on full pay
1 (3.7%)
I've been placed on furlough on reduced pay
5 (18.5%)
I've been laid off
0 (0%)
Run a Business or Self employed and unaffected
1 (3.7%)
Run a Business or Self employed and feeling the pinch
0 (0%)
Run a Business and Self employed with no custom/orders/contracts and relying on Government Aid
0 (0%)
Run a Business or Self Employed and can't keep up with the orders/contracts/work
0 (0%)
No change: Hours, practices, pay/orders/contracts/jobs all the same all the same
7 (25.9%)
None of your chuffing business
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

döm

I truly hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction and fair play on sticking your neck out.

I really don't want to hear about any combusting heads.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

A colleague of mine in the US who was laid off last week has killed himself. Really nice guy; I'd spoken to him a few times. He'd been suffering from depression and his close friends say that his job was something of a lifeline. I'm the opposite really, mine feels more like a lead weight tied to my ankle.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

Had a letter out from work today that the furloughing will be carrying on at our place from July through to when it finishes being available. Unfortunately we will only be getting 80% from July. Oh well, things could be a lot worse I suppose.

BasspedalMan

At the outset of all this I was running a significant overdraft and feeling the pinch. Business Rates Grant and Bounceback Loans later I am in a better position moving forward than I have been in over fifteen years. I have thoroughly enjoyed the slow-down and it has made me re-evaluate how I want to work going forward.

Despite all the help I still think BJ and his current batch of wannabe stormtroopers have made a right cods of everything and sent out more mixed messages than schizophrenic Amish sex addict.
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

SL

Been furloughed since 1st April on 80% plus employer upped it by another 10%, so pretty damn good tbh!
I'm back at work this week just on my tod (I work in optics...the eyes/glasses/contact lens kind ;)), doing admin etc and we reopen proper next week - for emergency appointments only. Getting PPE delivered tomorrow, so should be interesting! Risk assessments galore..and quite right too
I don't pretend to have all the answers, but the questions are certainly worth thinking about...

pdw1

Quote from: SL on June 24, 2020, 20:18:31 pmBeen furloughed since 1st April on 80% plus employer upped it by another 10%, so pretty damn good tbh!
I'm back at work this week just on my tod (I work in optics...the eyes/glasses/contact lens kind ;)), doing admin etc and we reopen proper next week - for emergency appointments only. Getting PPE delivered tomorrow, so should be interesting! Risk assessments galore..and quite right too
good luck on the return to work. I have to admit I am starting to get a bit of cabin fever. Looks like I wont be back at work before the beginning of september.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

zoony

Quote from: zoony on June 08, 2020, 17:29:34 pmHad a letter out from work today that the furloughing will be carrying on at our place from July through to when it finishes being available. Unfortunately we will only be getting 80% from July. Oh well, things could be a lot worse I suppose.
we had the plan for the next 2 months at work yesterday, assuming that our orders stay at there current reduced rate. As we drop down from full pay to 80% from July, they have tried to spread it out, so you only get one or 2 weeks at 80% in your monthly pay, which for me would be a reduction of around £90 for July and £180 for August. Quite a chunk as Wendy doesn't work, but it could be worse I suppose. I'm furloughed for 4 shifts from the 1st of July, which gives me 12 days off, then we have a shutdown from the 20th til the 3rd of August where I will have to put 6 holidays in, but this will give me 20 days off, and at least I'll be on full pay for that. For the rest of August, they have furloughed everybody's night shifts, so each shift will do their 2 days, then have 6 days off. Very nice really, but it would be a lot better if we were still on full pay!

Slim

Quote from: Slim on May 24, 2020, 13:29:14 pmThe straitened economic circumstances we're now in have made themselves felt at my place of work, and a number of people have been made redundant across the UK, the US, Australia and India. Including three people from my own team, at least one of whom was actually quite useful.
Managed to persuade the powers-that-be to bring the useful one back for a bit, only for 15 days unfortunately but very necessary cover for the possibility of illness / holidays while I transfer some knowledge to the survivors.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

Hopefully it looks like we've got to the bottom of the valley at our place regarding the downturn in orders, and things have picked up a bit for August. Things could change again, but we were originally furloughed for 8 of our 14 shifts that month, and currently that has now been changed to just 4.

zoony

Quote from: zoony on July 20, 2020, 21:30:36 pmHopefully it looks like we've got to the bottom of the valley at our place regarding the downturn in orders, and things have picked up a bit for August. Things could change again, but we were originally furloughed for 8 of our 14 shifts that month, and currently that has now been changed to just 4.
Orders have started to pick up even more now, and those 4 shifts that we were being furloughed for at the end of August have now been changed to normal production shifts.