Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? - Out of the Cradle

Started by Dave_Pierce, January 13, 2004, 01:49:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

I think it's one of the best things they've ever done. I think it's really optimistic and is played with a certain joie de vivre. The outro is as close as Rush get to a jam and shows what can happen when they stretch out a bit, like what they used to do  :) I wish they'd do more of it.

A classic.

Bassassin

The weakest track on VT - which still puts it head & shoulders above anything on T4E (see Dog Years thread...)

I think both this & Freeze would have been less obtrusive if they'd been buried somewhere in the middle of the album like the similarly uninspired How It Is - but choosing a track of such monumental mediocrity as album closer really accentuates its shortcomings, as well as creating a less positive impression of VT as a whole. Which is a shame.

Not an awful song, really. Sounds like what it is - a bunch of rehearsal room jams Pro-Tooled together with vocals & drums added later. A song equal to the sum of its parts, then.

I still prefer Freeze (but only just), and I'm asking myself why... Both songs were obviously composed in similar ways, Geddy's vocal is unconvincing & whiny on both, & Freeze's lyric has a higher cringe factor ("Like a cornered beast or a conquering hero..." NOOOOOOOOOO!!!) as well as seeming to bear no melodic relationship to the music. I don't know. Maybe I just like 7/4 time.

Click the banner & be Facebook mates with Maya29. Ambitious But Rubbish? You decide.

http://www.maya29.co.uk

JT

I haven't heard it for a long time but from memory it's bloody awful and irritating. I don't want to reappraise it so I went for the last option.

Japes

One of those Rush songs that's neither uninspiring or inspiring but having said that the chorus and catchy riff are going through me head as I write this ... must listen to it again tonight.

Slim

January 14, 2004, 20:39:07 pm #34 Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 20:44:07 pm by Slim
QuoteThe weakest track on VT - which still puts it head & shoulders above anything on T4E (see Dog Years thread...)

I disagree with you dramatically there.  The two strongest tracks on Test For Echo (the title tracks and Totem) are, to my mind, still the two strongest tracks Rush have recorded since Presto, or possibly Hold Your Fire.   The worst track on VT (Freeze) is the worst thing I've personally heard by any recording artist.

However VT does have 4 or 5 tracks which, while they don't quite approach the standard of the two exceptional tracks on TFE, for me are still as good as the other good tracks on there - I'd certainly put Vapor Trail, Earthshine and Ghost Rider up there with Carve Away The Stone and Half The World, in fact I think they are probably even better.

Bassassin

I disagree with you dramatically there.

Click the banner & be Facebook mates with Maya29. Ambitious But Rubbish? You decide.

http://www.maya29.co.uk

Slim

It seems that I felt much the same way about T4E as you did about VT - for me T4E was a bit of a 'comeback', a drastic improvement over previous albums that rekindled my interest in Rush again.  The band were once again firing on all cylinders, crafting human, spirited music that came alive in its performance.  I certainly think it's the best Rush album of the '90s, and on balance I'd rate it higher than VT.  VT's stinkers are worse than T4E's, T4E's highlights are better than VT's, although VT's 'average' tracks are better than T4E's :)

Analog RH

QuoteVT's stinkers are worse than T4E's, T4E's highlights are better than VT's, although VT's 'average' tracks are better than T4E's :)

LOL! I can imagine Sir Humphrey Appleby saying something like that!

Nice one.  :)