Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? - Chain Lightning

Started by Dave_Pierce, January 07, 2004, 02:28:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Bayfield

I adore this track, just like the second track from the album that follows it. The instrumental section is especially great, the bass leading into it is pretty damn nifty, even if a wee bit simplistic compared to, say, Driven.

When I first heard it (and I remember the EXACT time and place I first heard Presto... not good times) I wasn't sure what to think, the whole catchy poptastic theme of the chorous seemed a bit, un-Rush like (though it left a very vivid image, as was the track that followed) but it grew on me.

I voted it a classic, but really I should have voted it a notch lower. It's not among their best, but it's just a happy little tune, it does no harm.
I'm old enough not to care too much, about what you think of me.
But I'm young enough to remember the future, and the way things ought to be

Analog RH

Its an absolute full-on 100% Rush classic. The song could not be anymore perfect. Its one of the reasons I adore Rush. I can't listen to it enough.

It features possibly my favourite NP couplet: "Sun dogs fire on the horizon, meteor rain stars across the night".

Wonderful stuff.

Slim

QuoteIts an absolute full-on 100% Rush classic. The song could not be anymore perfect. Its one of the reasons I adore Rush. I can't listen to it enough.

I'm delighted to see that opinion on Chain Lightning is overwhelmingly positive, but it takes a gymnastic stretch of the imagination to consider it a 'classic'.

It could be a little more perfect - it does have a rather squeaky Pinky & Perky guitar break.

Analog RH

I'm delighted to see that opinion on Chain Lightning is overwhelmingly positive, but it takes a gymnastic stretch of the imagination to consider it a 'classic'.

It could be a little more perfect - it does have a rather squeaky Pinky & Perky guitar break.

Its a classic in Analogland, along with Pat Benetar's All Fired Up and Roger Moore's North Sea Hijack.

Things are a bit different in Analogland y'see....  ;) :D

Arto

January 08, 2004, 00:09:20 am #19 Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 00:10:06 am by Arto

Its a classic in Analogland, along with Pat Benetar's All Fired Up and Roger Moore's North Sea Hijack.

Things are a bit different in Analogland y'see....

Dave_Pierce

QuoteIts an absolute full-on 100% Rush classic. The song could not be anymore perfect. Its one of the reasons I adore Rush. I can't listen to it enough.

It features possibly my favourite NP couplet: "Sun dogs fire on the horizon, meteor rain stars across the night".

Wonderful stuff.
Well I'm not surprised that AP adores it, but I'm flabbergasted at the overwhelming positive feedback on this song!!  ???

It must be a trans-atlantic phenomenon cuz I don't know any of my RUSH fan friends who have anything good to say about the song. Even my son who'd never heard me play it or heard my opinion on it dislikes it intensely. It's so far below RUSH's capabilities: it's dreadfully simplistic, it's "sing-songy", it's "poptastic" as Craig put it (although he likes it), and in all honesty I find Alex's guitar work to be highly irritating and annoying.

Besides that, I have no problems with it!  ;)  ;D

Thailand Express

This is a fine example of a lot of what I don't like about Presto, although like the album itself it does have redeeming features:-

Good:-
A very lovely chorus, well written and sung.
Nice synth chords on the intro.
I'm a sucker for a backwards guitar solo.

Bad:-
That wimpy sound especially during said solo. Geddy sounds like he's playing in another room.
The naff cod-Batman riff.
"Respond, vibrate, feedback and resonate" - geeky lyrics and rubbish arpeggio guitar accompaniment.

Ugly:-
"Thhhhaaaatttt'sss niiiiccceee" - very poor

mickpaz2112

great song,features all 3 players at there combined best.nuff said
Some people say they've seen angels,
I've seen United,
That's enough.

Bruce_Macgregor

Ugly:-
"Thhhhaaaatttt'sss niiiiccceee" - very poor

....followed by power chord to finish followed immediately by The Pass.

Man, you are hard to please!

Japes

This song is unusual in that it blows hot and cold for me (like the rest of Presto I suppose)

When I'm in the mood I think this is one of Rush's finest - great melody, lyrics etc etc but when I'm not I skip it and go straight to War Paint and The Pass.... go figure !

Weird sounding solo though... played backwards or something?

Dave_Pierce

QuoteWeird sounding solo though... played backwards or something?
Or played while intoxicated perhaps?  ;)  ;D

Micke.K

Dave_Pierce

QuoteOh...I've heard that Alex never touch the stuff... lmao lmao
Nor do you apparently!! lol

Oor Wullie

Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004