Moving Pictures - sync listen in 5 minutes

Started by Slim, January 10, 2004, 05:23:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

January 10, 2004, 05:47:42 am #15 Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 17:52:00 pm by Slim
Now then, Limelight - another out-and-out classic.  I hate the sentiment of the lyrics, quite honestly - can't blame him for the underlying sentiment, but getting your fans to pay to hear how you prefer to keep them at arms' length - pretty low.

Analog RH

Limelight.

I think of Limelight as a BIG song, perhaps the BIGGEST. For me - the soul and spirit and character of Rush is here. Very Peart-esque lyrics, sublime guitar work, magical bass, physical drumming and Ged's baritone - all combine in 4:19 of sheer perfection.

This song has it all. I can't get enough of it.

Slim

January 10, 2004, 05:51:33 am #17 Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:51:59 am by Slim
Four classics, followed by one of the highlights of their career - The Camera Eye.

No wonder this was a breakthrough album.  

It doesn't get much better than The Camera Eye - so cinematic, panoramic, atmospheric - you can almost smell the English rain.  Fabulous, and listen to that guitar - awesome.

Slim

the drums kick in, the guitar riff kicks in .. we have take-off.  Breathtaking song.

Slim

Those clipped guitar chords, casually tossed out over Ged's growling bass.  Suits you!

Analog RH

The Camera Eye.

I'll tell you what I love about this - and its only a small thing - the sound of Neil's ride cymbal being hit as he builds on the snare during the intro. Beautiful.

And then of course that wall of noise - like a 100 guitars and keyboards merged together.

I love all 11 minutes of this. The imagery - "an English rain, so light, yet endless from a leaden sky" (that's Manchester for ya!).

The big re-entry at 5.55.  :D

The last great great song on MP.

Slim

Analog RH

Witch Hunt.

Great song, but I prefer the big ASOH "Production" version.

The MP version starts great - love the sound of the crowd and Alex's riff is hard and dry. Ged's bass is nice ad "stringy".

But those keyboards have not dated well.

Slim

January 10, 2004, 06:03:09 am #23 Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 18:26:46 pm by Slim
Witch Hunt - a real leaden plodder I'm afraid.  Crap, frankly.  I'm sure the metalheads enjoy the guitar riff at the beginning, but there's so much more to Rush than this.

What a contrast after The Camera Eye - two absolute opposites, from the sublime to the piss-poor.

Slim

Just noticed that there's a hint of the Madrigal vibrato in Ged's voice on this one.  I normally skip Witch Hunt, it's pants.

Analog RH

And toward the end Ged's vocals are a bit Ozzy.....  :-X

Slim

Vital Signs - another career highlight and a bona-fide Rush classic.  A musical work of towering stature.  Beautifully performed, especially on the skanky guitar, and a wonderful production - check out the spacy atmospherics on the reverby vocals.  

Phenomenal song.

Analog RH

Vital Signs.

I usually press "stop" after Witch Hunt.

I just don't get this one. Smart-arse lyrics, Police-impersonating music.

Being positive - its well produced - the tone / sound is great.

I just think the song is pants. And the ending just goes on and on and on.

Sad they ended such a monumental LP with such a lame song.

Slim

January 10, 2004, 06:08:34 am #28 Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 18:27:49 pm by Slim
That trailing guitar chord on 'drag the dream into existence ..' gets me every time.  Goosebumps.  Stairway-To-Heaven-tastic.

Slim