Permanent Waves - Sync Listen TONIGHT!

Started by Chris Quartly, January 10, 2004, 05:04:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly

Spirit of Radio, what can you say about that opening riff? Been heard a million times yes, but what a riff!

This song is just perfection, nothing less. And what great production too on the guitars when Alex crunches into those chords.

Top air-drumming action especially around the 3-minute mark and beyond! Always loved the reggae section, never sounded as good live as this studio version IMO though.

And WHAT A SOLO! Go Lerxst!!!!
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Bruce_Macgregor

January 10, 2004, 05:36:05 am #16 Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:37:29 am by Bruce_Macgregor
Sometimes we tend to take SoR for granted but it is hot, isn't it?

Now we are REALLY talking.

Freewill. Hard to fault.

Pudders

Dragged a mate to Wembley Arena to see them - cant remember which tour, but he was a bit cynical about Alex. Freewill was second up and my mate shut up!

Slim

Those three-string guitar chops blow me away every time - fantastic.  I can remember watching and listening with my mouth hanging open at Bingley Hall on both nights.  Lerxst in his Italian combat jacket and jeans, wielding his ES-335 like a Rock God .. I've just come.

Slim

This is the best music in the world, no contest

Japes

The Spirit of Radio is probably my fave Rush song ever. Alex's  solo just sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it - and I've heard it about a million times.

Analog RH

I often think of PeW and MP as two peas in a pod, quite similar in style / length / approach. PeW is better though, eh?

Freewill now.

Perfection. Ged's voice, Lerxt's furious guitar, Nelly's immaculate driving surge, Ged's dirty bass - even Paul Northfield's amazing capturing of sound and Broon's mixing: all fantastic.

And from 2.58 onwards we're just talking creme de la Rush creme.  :P  :P  (In analog towers, the air guitar is WAILING!!!!!).  ;D

Analog RH

QuoteThis is the best music in the world, no contest

feck yeah!!!  :D

Slim

Can't understand how anyone can appreciate this and still like Corporateparts, but I digress  ;D

Pudders

Shit I'd forgotten just how good Freewill is

Now its Jacobs Ladder...hmm

Chris Quartly

Freewill! Starts off with a real bang, the production on this album always seems like a breath of fresh air to me every time I hear it. There is an amazing balance to all the instruments and Geddy's vocals are mesmerising.

Ohhhhh that instrumental break. I wish I had the confidence to try and learn that bass-break. And this has to be one of Alex's best solos, swaying into the different channels, a mis of lead and rhythm, it's stunning, simply stunning. This is what music is all about.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Pudders

QuoteCan't understand how anyone can appreciate this and still like Corporateparts, but I digress

Slim

January 10, 2004, 05:42:59 am #27 Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:43:59 am by Slim
Time for the intermission - Jacob's Ladder.  What a plodder.  Yawnsome in the extreme, I remember listening to it for the first time and thinking, well the intro certainly goes on for a long time, when's the song going to start?  And then it stopped.

Very dull indeed, it goes nowhere and takes far too long to get there.  A filler, let's be honest, and not a particularly good one.  A dog.

God I'm bored.  Still not long to wait till the fun starts again :)

Analog RH

Check out the liner notes....

Inspiration an vocal coaching by Daisy The Dog? What's THAT all about?

Jacob's Ladder now.

Never been 100% about this one. Its OK - I like the individual performances (all three sound great) but the song itself has never grabbed me by the balls. That said, the passage from 2.30 onwards is pretty fab. And after a bottle of wine its sounding better than usual.  ;D

Bruce_Macgregor

I love CP but I freely admit....this is different class.

Jacob's Ladder. if I remember, Slim, this isn't one of your faves but I've always been a big fan.

During the RTB tour they had a competition in Kerrang to send in questions.

Some woman wrote in how she found Jacob's Ladder to be very erotic. I often think of her when I listen to it.