Favourite Rush song not on a Rush album?

Started by Analog RH, December 07, 2003, 18:26:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Japes

Not often I agree with 'The Slimster' but I like Fancy Dancer as well, especially the chorus !  

As for the others at the time of it's release I thought Battlescar was an OTT riffathon but it worked quite well but of course it's not really Rush either.

Jon M

One little victory instrumental version. It rocks.

And its not on an album, by definition.
Is it Living? or...Just existence....YEAH YOU!

Slim

December 08, 2003, 01:26:21 am #17 Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 04:12:48 am by Slim
QuoteNothing at all to do with Rush, but have you heard the B-side song to "Battlescar"?  It's called "April In Toledo" and it is absolutely brilliant.  It's the best track on the Universal Juveniles albums by miles.

Yes, I have Universal Juveniles (terrible cover - if you haven't seen it, imagine a bald bloke with long hair in gold spandex) and that's the track I like most.  In fact, I haven't listened to it for about 20 years, and it's the only one apart from Battlescar that I can remember.

Oor Wullie

It's not often we agree on things Slim.  I'm glad you think like me on this one.  And I have seen the cover of the album as I bought it on CD.  It is bloody awful.  Isn't that Kim Mitchell on the front?
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

Slim

It is Kim Mitchell, yes.  They were fairly entertaining live, I must say (Hemispheres tour, wasn't it?) but Universal Juveniles never really grew on me.

Just found this:

.. I'd forgotten about the white boots.  Nice ..

Oor Wullie

Oh dear......

You're right, he is bald with long hair.  Kinda like Phil Collins in the 1980's.

I checked that the album came out in 1980 so the tour must have been Permanent Waves.
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

rascal houdi

December 08, 2003, 05:37:35 am #21 Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 05:38:53 am by rascal_houdi
It was the Hemispheres tour in '79 that Max opened for Rush. They were promoting 'A Million Vacations' at the time, not '....Juveniles' which I must just say is still one of my top 10 albums to this day.

That cover though..... :P
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Eric B

Not sure that it counts as a "Rush" song, since there's no Neil (or John R. for that matter), but "O' Canada" from "South Park" soundtrack.

The Letter R

As an aside I think Max Websters - Universal Juveniles is a great album ( except the cover ) - I have it on both Vinyl and CD and it is a great "pick-me-up" kinda album - nothing to serious or heavy just great tracks.
As for the Rush question - difficult really as most tracks are released except the ones already mentioned which Garden Road aside are either not up to standard or are not "Rush" tracks alone by definition.
I know one thing I wouldn't mind hearing though and that is the Rush/Primus collaboration that took place whilst they toured together on the Bones Tour - that would make some interesting listening I would imagine 8)

Battlescar

QuoteIt was the Hemispheres tour in '79 that Max opened for Rush. They were promoting 'A Million Vacations' at the time, not '....Juveniles' which I must just say is still one of my top 10 albums to this day.

That cover though..... :P

Saw them supporting Dio-era Sabbath in 80/81-ish.  Have both ..Juveniles and ..Vacations on vinyl but haven't listened to them for ages.  Do know where your name comes from though houdi.

Does the Bob and Doug contribution count as a Rush track?  Had 'Take off' on single but haven't seen it in years.
Keats and Yeats are on your side
But you lose 'cause weird lover Wilde is on mine

Analog RH

December 08, 2003, 18:40:28 pm #25 Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 18:41:14 pm by The_Analog_Parent
QuoteAs an aside I think Max Websters - Universal Juveniles is a great album ( except the cover ) - I have it on both Vinyl and CD and it is a great "pick-me-up" kinda album - nothing to serious or heavy just great tracks.
As for the Rush question - difficult really as most tracks are released except the ones already mentioned which Garden Road aside are either not up to standard or are not "Rush" tracks alone by definition.
I know one thing I wouldn't mind hearing though and that is the Rush/Primus collaboration that took place whilst they toured together on the Bones Tour - that would make some interesting listening I would imagine 8)

I used to be a major Primus fan, but lost interest a few years ago as they kept repeating themselves. On the Bones tour they were phonomenal - the drummer's kit (Tim Alexander?) was bigger than Neil's. Whilst the rest of the NEC was at the bar / reading tour programs / parking their cars, I was down the front (no security!) singing "say baby do you wanna lay down with me, say baby to you wanna lay down by my side, say baby do you wanna lay down with me. Say baby! SAY BABY!").

Before I get my coat, Rush fans might like to know Primus start their live album "Suck On This" with the into to YYZ. Nice!

rascal houdi

Looks like Primus are back in action. Just been a DVD released in the States & they're touring again, don't know if they'll make it to these shores though.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Analog RH

QuoteLooks like Primus are back in action. Just been a DVD released in the States & they're touring again, don't know if they'll make it to these shores though.

Indeed: the typically very-Primus entitled Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People. Out in the US (play.com have it), but in true help-out-TNMS fashion its out in the UK on 15th Dec:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000VS06A/ref=sr_aps_dvd_1_1/202-9653277-9895818

Slim

QuoteBefore I get my coat, Rush fans might like to know Primus start their live album "Suck On This" with the into to YYZ. Nice!  ;D

I seem to remember a mild bit of controversy from a few years back .. weren't they quoting from Cygnus in their live show, and Geddy was getting a bit sniffy about it or something?  I'm sure they were doing something that met with someone's disapproval and disdain, somehow.

Eric B

Did Max Webster die?  If I recall correctly there's a line inside the Exit...Stage Left liner notes "Max Webster RIP".