Started by Slim, June 11, 2012, 20:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mickpaz2112

Some people say they've seen angels,
I've seen United,
That's enough.

Andy42g

Quote from: DaveC on June 13, 2012, 18:18:04 pm
The mayfair - brings back memories!! ....
http://www.newcastlestuff.com/mayfair/mayfair.html

Amazing list of bands through 3 decades. The 80s and 90s ones in particular look remarkably similar to the tours I saw in Liverpool Royal Court.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

captainkurtz

Quote from: Andy42g on June 15, 2012, 13:16:14 pm
Amazing list of bands through 3 decades. The 80s and 90s ones in particular look remarkably similar to the tours I saw in Liverpool Royal Court.

Definitely - and quite depressing to think about the current dearth of good new bands.
Anger is a gift.

Andy42g

June 15, 2012, 16:54:32 pm #33 Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 16:57:08 pm by Andy42g
Quote from: captainkurtz on June 15, 2012, 16:16:43 pm
Definitely - and quite depressing to think about the current dearth of good new bands.

You know I think there are a lot of good new bands around - there's several places in Leeds where there's live music most nights (and you can avoid 'tribute' bands too), and the O2 Academy does great business for the medium sized outfits.  I just don't have the time that I used to back then when going to gigs was my No1 hobby.  I think the live circuit is still vibrant and it's a pity I don't really take advantage of it.
EDIT: and a lot of the bands around I just don't like. That's not because they are no good - I'm sure the kids love them just as much as someone loved say AC/DC at the Mayfair - it's just because I'm old and have an entirely different perspective on what a good band is to today's teenagers.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

captainkurtz

I just don't see any of the current bands having the authenticity or songwriting prowess that all of those great bands in the 70s, 80's and 90's had.  Although admittedly, getting older and having other responsibilities has a massive impact.
Anger is a gift.

Slim

It's now 42 years exactly since that memorable night in Newcastle. But these days what strikes me most when I think about that time when I was first a Rush fan is how very long ago it all was. It was only seven years since the Beatles had split up.

Jim Callaghan was Prime Minister. Dave Sexton was shortly to take over from Tommy Docherty at United.

I'd never heard of CDs, TV remote controls, video recorders or mobile phones. All the Rolling Stones were still in their '30s. Robert Plant was still in his '20s!

Mick Jagger's current girlfriend wouldn't be born for another 11 years or so.

There were only three TV channels. The Black and White Minstrel show was probably on BBC 1 the same night I was in Newcastle at my first Rush gig.

It just seems like a different age and I can't listen to early Rush now without thinking that I'm listening to nostalgia material from a bygone past, like Glen Miller or Vera Lynn.