Rush fans are everywhere......

Started by Analog RH, June 10, 2011, 00:34:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Analog RH

I always thought it was funny how there are a couple of hundred active posters on TNMS, but it was so rare you would meet anyone else who likes the band. Yet when Rush come here they play to 40,000 or so fans over 6 shows.

These days though I keep bumping into them at work. I am responsible for turning Fred Barchetta from a normal human being into "one of us" after coming across him in business last year. I had coffee today with an Architect who a year ago thought he was the only remaining Rush fan but last month saw the band in Manchester, Sheffield (with Fred - I made the introduction  ;D) and Birmingham. I met a bloke at a business lunch the day after the Manchester show who had taken his daughter to the MEN the night before.

And then today I got a Linkedin message from a contact -

Andrew,

I was surprised to see on Linked in that you have moved to Thomas Barnes. So much so in fact that I visited your web site and was pleased to see you are a fan of Rush.

I too am a fan (but nowhere as dedicated as you appear to be) and I have very happy memories going to see them at Deeside in North Wales on the 31st October 1981 (part of their Exit Stage Left Tour).

I was blown away by the music but had a nasty incident with the Merseyside police later that night which almost ruined the entire day.

Good luck in your new career and I look forward to meeting up again sometime.

Regards,

Andrew

Rush fans are EVERYWHERE!

Do you have any stories of bumping into random Rush fans?

Lyth

:)

Yep.

During the Summer of 2004 I started suffering from some serious pains in my shoulder.

I went to the Doctor to get it checked out and and - during the appointment - he went through some questions about back posture at work and while driving and so on.

He then asked me what sports/activities I did.

Me - "I play football quite regularly. I also play Bass guitar".

Doctor - "Oh, really? What kind of music do you like"

Me - "Rock, prog rock, that kind of thing - Rush are my favourite band"

Doctor - "REALLY!!!? Are you going to see them later this year? I'm going to Birmingham and Manchester. I can't wait."

Dr Stevens and me have been good friends ever since.

And my shoulder's fine.

Slim

I was at that gig in Deeside. First time I heard Subdivisions. Apart from that, not one of the best gigs I've been to.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

hygge

Quote from: Lyth on June 10, 2011, 06:25:09 am
I went to the Doctor to get it checked out...

What is it with doctors and RUSH?

In Newcastle on the Stalker Tour I tried to grab a t-shirt and when leaning over the fence from the first row I hurt my ribs.
I few days later I suddenly got this terrible pain which forced me to see a doctor.

He asked me what I had done to hurt my ribs and first I felt akward about telling him I hurt myself on a concert but as he asked again I told him I was on a concert in England
and that I hurt myself on the fence.
What band? he then asked.
RUSH I said.
Oh said the doctor, does the bassist player still play his Rickenbacker? 8)

And for the 2007 tour he actually did (A Passage to Bangkok) so I could confirm he still did.

My doctor turned out to be a bass player himself and apparantly knew of RUSH.
So we sat there talking about music while he examined me.
2004-Glasgow SECC
2004-Globe Arena Row 1 (Lerxst)
2007-Glasgow SECC Row 2
2007-Newcastle Row 1 (Geddy)
2007-Sheffield Row 11
2007-Oslo Row 14
2007-Globe Arena Row 3 (Lerxst)
2011-Globe Arena Row 1 (Lerxst)
2011-Malmö Row 6
2011-Dublin Standing
2011-Glasgow Row 1 (Lerxst)

zoony

Since the concerts last month, i've seen a few people out and about in my area wearing Time machine tour shirts, including a lad of about 12 who i spoke to with his mom down Stourport. She said he was influenced by his dad, but he did love the band, and went to see them in Birmingham. Also our new production manager at work went to the Birmingham show, and i recently discovered that a couple of our fitters also like the band.

Spud

My wife still hates them, but the kids still love them so that's all that matters to me.  :D

Dixkot

2 tales from this week alone.

New colleague came into my office looking or me last week, but I wasn't in.  He noticed my framed Rush pictures on the wall.  He came back in on Monday and brought me a present of a never played Time Stand Still 12" picture disc.  ;D

In Tesco today , wearing a Rush t-shirt, when a bloke in his late 70s stopped me and said "My son loves them, he went to see them the other week"

Also doctor related, saw a local GP at the SECC gig this year.

Avalon

My mate (Burt) and I were queueing up at a small airport somewhere in Holland to board on a plane to London early May 25th, we were chatting about Rush when suddenly two nice looking women ahead of us turned around and said: are you going to see Rush in London tonight?  :o Yes we also do, we follow them as sisters since we saw them at Pinkpop 1979, we still have the pictures...  ::) ::) ::) We declared them as sacred...  8) we met eachother again on the plane back and stayed in touch, and she sent us the sacred pics...  :)
"Alles Goed?"
(Geddy Rotterdam '83, '88, '92, '04, '07, '07, '11, Amsterdam '13)

mickey f

my dentist is a rush fan i was wearing a rush tshirt when a had a appointment to see him soon as i walked in he put signals cd on and chatted about the band as he carried out his work  ;D

freewill

I've been at current employer for 6 years, met  our tax advisor at work in the que to the Dublin gig! :o
Wembley Arena 1988
Manchester MEN 2007
O2 Dublin 2011
O2 London 2011
O2 London 2013

hygge

Quote from: mickey f on June 10, 2011, 21:43:40 pm
my dentist is a rush fan i was wearing a rush tshirt when a had a appointment to see him soon as i walked in he put signals cd on and chatted about the band as he carried out his work  ;D

So he plays "Losing it" while pulling out teeth...  :P
2004-Glasgow SECC
2004-Globe Arena Row 1 (Lerxst)
2007-Glasgow SECC Row 2
2007-Newcastle Row 1 (Geddy)
2007-Sheffield Row 11
2007-Oslo Row 14
2007-Globe Arena Row 3 (Lerxst)
2011-Globe Arena Row 1 (Lerxst)
2011-Malmö Row 6
2011-Dublin Standing
2011-Glasgow Row 1 (Lerxst)

Nulli Secundus

As I have mentioned on here before I live in Manchester and have only ever seen one other person wearing a Rush T-Shirt and he was very scary looking....it wasn't ARH either  ;)

After the UK gigs I went up to Bury for the day with my two boys on the 29th May and saw two people (not together) both with Rush T-Shirts on. Funnily enough they were both wearing the same t-shirt. The black all over print Moving Pictures one with Rush in red across the front and the Time Machine info on the back.

Both of them were young... for Rush fans...about 25. I spoke to one of them about the Manchester gig :)
Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

pdw1

Quote from: hygge on June 10, 2011, 22:59:00 pm
So he plays "Losing it" while pulling out teeth...  :P

More likely "Big Money"  ;)
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Zed

This is slightly off thread but through TNMS I made friends with Janne (Rush Lexon). I actually went to visit him for the first time last week in Sweden...it felt really strange meeting a guy in a different country who follows the same music!

However apart from moi..... nobody wears a Rush t-shirt in boring Bradford
Experience to extremes

Ian Harris

June 11, 2011, 09:55:36 am #14 Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:58:42 am by Ian Harris
My partner hates Rush. Or rather, my liking for them baffles her and she infers an inability to mature beyond adolescence - 'like grown men who have to watch their football team every weekend'.

Enter - stage left - an expert in her professional field (educational assessment) whom she respects greatly. He's about the same age as us. He comes to dinner, and conversation touches on a band I'm occasionally in. 'How did you get together?' he asks. 'Well', I say,'we all liked this band called Rush'. Stage right, eyes roll. 'No way!' says expert. 'I love Rush. In fact, in the seminar I gave last week, I ended my presentation with a quote from Freewill - 'if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.''

'Thanks very much for coming out' I say at the end of the night. 'We soooo appreciate it.'  ;D

London, May 1987
Birmingham, May 1987
London, Apr 1992
Paris, May 1992
Sacramento, Feb 1994
San Francisco, Feb 1994
Raleigh, Jul 2002
London, Sep 2004
London, Sep 2004
Manchester, Sep 2004
London, Oct 2008
Birmingham, Oct 2008