Author Topic: What was your favourite RUSH concert...and Why??  (Read 11198 times)

Dave_Pierce

What was your favourite RUSH concert...and Why??
« on: June 11, 2008, 17:24:28 PM »
After wading through numerous negative and cyncial (IMHO) posts of some other recently popular topics, I felt that it was time for a topic that will be about positive feelings towards the band.

What was your favourite RUSH concert...and Why??

Living in the Toronto area all my life, I've had the good fortune to be able to see them at least once for every tour since 1976. While there have been numerous excellent shows over the past 32 years, I'd have to say that the R30 concert is my personal highlight. Why? Let me tell you!!:

1. It's an amazing achievement for any band to last 30 years, let alone my favourite band. I never thought they'd still be going strong
2. With the help of a "connection" (he knows who he is!!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: What was your favourite RUSH concert...and Why??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 17:55:03 PM »
I'd say it was my first ever Rush show at Stafford Bingley Hall on 21st September 1979, the air of anticipation was electric, because Rush were bringing over their full American show which to us insular Brits was a wow. Plus we got pre-release versions of TSoR and Freewill - killer, that's all I can say.

To Top it all it was all 70s Rush, with none of that lame crappy modern Rush in sight, If we'd known then about what was to come - over synthy stuff, weedy stuff, 90s crap stuff, VT, then we'd have torched the bastatrds, and just had happy memories :)
Legend in my own Mind

RobertELee

Re: What was your favourite RUSH concert...and Why
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 18:24:59 PM »
Now then, I would say it was the 2nd night at Wembley last year as I was in the second row dead centre and had lots of eye contact and a pick off Alex.
Then again the MEN gig was rather special...........;)

Tom Garrett

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Sigh
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 18:56:38 PM »
This is a difficult question to answer, i have fond memories of various Rush concerts for different reasons., my first one, perhaps Rotterdam 06 where i managed front row, or  the amazing Rotterdam 2 where i witnessed the most amazing craziest audience participation ever.
Right now, i think i'll opt for Manchester 07, the amazing seats,the excellent company and Rush were on fire that night. 8-)
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

sjsbrfc

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 19:07:45 PM »

I'd say it's a choice between the MEN gig on the R30 tour, the first time I managed to get to see Rush.

And the MEN gig last year. Section 102 was the place to be that night!

From first to last. The peak is never passed. Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes

Ill_be_waiting

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 19:10:24 PM »
I'll have to opt for my 1st Rush concert, Glasgow SECC 88 during the Hold Your Fire tour, earlier in the day i'd sat my English O'Grade exam and the day was basked in glorious sunshine and we just couldn't wait to get ourselves down to the SECC to see these legends of Power Rock !!!

It was all standing and when The Big Money started the place just went mental and we were just bouncing all over the place lapping it up........i'll take those opening minutes to the grave as one of my favourite moments in life  ;D

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 19:10:53 PM »
I'm never quite sure about this.

My first Rush gig was a very special occasion, because it was the first time I, or the rest of the Newcastle City Hall crowd had seen them. The band was on fire, the crowd was ecstatic and the atmosphere in that pressure cooker theatre venue, 31 years ago tonight, was utterly electric.

But the Tour Of The Hemispheres gigs at the same venue were also amazing - by this time the band had grown in stature and expanded the setlist with some incredible material.

An amazing sense of occasion too at the Bingley Hall gigs in September 1979. Alex, having ditched the wacky dressing gown and perm in favour of a combat jacket, straight jeans and shorter hair, played a mean guitar both nights, they played pre-release versions of Spirit Of Radio and Free Will, both of which were superb - and La Villa Strangiato on the second night was the most mesmeric, captivating performance I've ever witnessed. It was like a shared religious experience.

I suppose I'd have to say June 11, 1977. Oh, to be a Rush fan in their heyday. I feel very fortunate to have been around at the time.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 19:12:53 PM by Slim »

34Poolboy

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 19:27:33 PM »
Got to be the first time I saw them as an excited teenager. My brother took me to see them in Manchester (Free Trade Hall?) must have been around about 1977-78. So much raw energy and a no frills sound.

Things were better in the seventies! ;-)

34Poolboy

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 19:33:37 PM »
Just read other peoples posts. I was at the Bingley gig in `79 as well. I can`t remember if I saw them second night and then went to the Deeside Leisure Centre the following gig or wether Deeside was the night before the first Bingley Hall gig.

I have different memories of the Bingley Hall and a godawful sound so maybe I saw the first nights performance.

JonL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 19:34:30 PM »
Nice to see you write about them in such gushing terms Slim.
Wish I could have been at the City Hall for those shows.

As I didn't see them for the first time until '92 at Sheffield (sharing a bus with Kurtzy apparently), I have far less to pick from, but I have to say seeing them play at Newcastle last year. I felt quite emotional about it.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 20:10:37 PM »
Just read other peoples posts. I was at the Bingley gig in `79 as well. I can`t remember if I saw them second night and then went to the Deeside Leisure Centre the following gig or wether Deeside was the night before the first Bingley Hall gig.

They only played the Bingley Hall on that visit to the UK. It was a two-gig 'mini-tour'.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 20:25:50 PM »
Easy, this one: first time I saw them, as a 15-year-old, Saturday 23rd April 1988 at Brum on the HYF Tour.  I went with my high school sweetheart, with whom I was hopelessly in love, she had to drag me to my feet when the Three Blind Mice intro started as I was so stunned that I was just about to see them and it was probably the most perfect day I have ever had.   :)
HYFTOUR30

34Poolboy

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 20:26:14 PM »
What year would it be then Slim? I saw 2 back to back nights Deeside and Bingley, I seem to remember them playing Subdivisions before release. I presume it was the Moving Pictures tour?

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 20:38:48 PM »
The MEN gig was very special last year, the band played really good, and it was just great to be amongst so many TNMSers. Also seeing them for the first time at the NEC in may 83 was so exciting.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 20:59:26 PM »
What year would it be then Slim? I saw 2 back to back nights Deeside and Bingley, I seem to remember them playing Subdivisions before release. I presume it was the Moving Pictures tour?

Yes, that was October '81 - I saw them at Deesside on that tour, as well. Sometimes called the Exit.. Stage Left tour, but I think of it as the Moving Pictures tour. Loved Subdivisions that night. I think those three songs and Xanadu on the first tour are the only examples of UK audiences getting teasers of songs from forthcoming albums.