• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
June 19, 2019, 18:40:22 pm

Dublin

Started by Norwegian, May 07, 2011, 16:19:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bisto

Would recommend seeing The book of Kells at Trinity College and taking in the Guinness Brewery tour
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bez

Thanks for the feedback, fellas, (practising already) much appreciated....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Pricey

The Jamesons distillery does a tour, I think on a Sunday local artists sell their paintings around st Stephen's green, that's quite cool.
Great city Bezzer, toying with the idea of a rugby trip there or to cork in the autumn with there being no internationals this year
I'll try and behave . Promise

döm

Plenty of places to visit on the outskirts of Dublin such as Howth and a little bit further away such as Newgrange, Tara, Battle of the Boyne site at Oldbridge,  Trim Castle. Probably only viable if you're bringing your own transport though.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bez

Back yesterday.

We stayed in the Temple Bar hotel (got a deal with flights from BA). Very central, but noisy. Didn't affect me, but Mrs Bez was kept awake...

Did the Guiness tour. Interesting for me, less so for Mrs B.
Took the bus tour - great way to orientate yourself, but we didn't really hop off very much. It was Monday and most museums / galleries closed.
Went to Howth on the DART. Great seafood.
Used Aircoach to get to and from the airport - Cheers Pricey
Ate out - a lot : Luigi Malones (cheers Pricey, again), Forno 500 (excellent pizza place), The bistro (1857?) at Guiness, very good. The Grayson (Mrs B saw that the Spice Girls had eaten there the night before and someone she knew had recommended it). Good, but expensive. Bizarrely the cheapest pint I drank all weekend at 5.90!
Visited some bars : Old Storehouse, Temple Bar, Bruxelles Bar (thanks Pricey, again)
Ate "gelato" There seems to be ice cream parlours all across Dublin. Fantastic.

A few observations.

Drink is expensive. 6.50 a pint in the Temple Bar area, not much cheaper outside. This includes soft drinks.
Lots of beggars / homeless.
Loads of public transport
Very clean, as in very little litter.
Loads of graffiti outside the city centre
People very friendly and helpful

The Letter R

Couple of my mates went there early May and came back saying how expensive the beer was......

Matt2112

I love Dublin, always have, always will, but they really see you coming nowadays with the price of the ale.

Which is why I'd opt for Belfast if it came down to it.
The keys to happiness

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 06, 2019, 12:05:17 pmI love Dublin, always have, always will, but they really see you coming nowadays with the price of the ale.

Which is why I'd opt for Belfast if it came down to it.
Belfast on the list. Mrs Bez wants to see the Giant's Causeway and do the West coast...

Matt2112

Quote from: Bez on June 10, 2019, 20:54:26 pmBelfast on the list. Mrs Bez wants to see the Giant's Causeway and do the West coast...

Yes, the Giant's Causeway is definitely worth visiting. :)
The keys to happiness

Pricey

glad a couple of suggestions came good Bez
I'll try and behave . Promise