Simple pleasures - food and drink - fifth course

Started by Reg, December 04, 2010, 18:20:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: DavidL on June 27, 2020, 10:14:28 amNevermind food that I've never eaten, there are words there I've never seen 😄
14.5% Aussie Shiraz does that to you...
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Matt2112

Last night, a delivery of a Greek Keftedakia - basically meatballs in a thin tomato sauce - with chips.

Lovely, but I should have ordered a Chicken Yeeros, which is a pitta bread wrap that's a bit heartier, and I wouldn't have felt guilty nicking a bit of the little 'un.  ::) ;)
The keys to happiness

zoony

some slices off a gammon joint, Jersey royal potatoes, baby sweetcorn and mange tout. Served with a touch of parsley sauce over the potatoes and vegetables.

Nick

Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

With times being hard, due to COVID19 and furloughs. We've had to resort to Food Banks and we got a food box from them.
Tonight we're having:

Hafod Cheddar, Amalthea and Heritage Tomato tart.
Chicken, Parsley and sweetcorn gratin with Choucroute
Apple and Strawberry cake with Lemon Balm vodka cream.

Not too shabby.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

zoony

Grilled back bacon, boiled new potatoes, baby sweetcorn, mange tout and Romanescu cauliflower. Fresh mint sauce over the top of the potatoes and vegetables.

DavidL

Had an impromptu stop at The Chequers Inn in Lower Pennington whilst out cycling today  (we are staying at Milford on Sea in the motorhome for a few days). Decided to eat there as one of the specials was whole sea bass stuffed with lemon and herbs. Served with new pots, carrots, cauliflower and peas. All for £13.50! Superb portion of veg and the fish was excellent. Probably the best value meal I've ever had.

zoony

Quote from: DavidL on July 17, 2020, 00:58:14 amHad an impromptu stop at The Chequers Inn in Lower Pennington whilst out cycling today  (we are staying at Milford on Sea in the motorhome for a few days). Decided to eat there as one of the specials was whole sea bass stuffed with lemon and herbs. Served with new pots, carrots, cauliflower and peas. All for £13.50! Superb portion of veg and the fish was excellent. Probably the best value meal I've ever had.
Mmm, now that does sound nice mate.

zoony

Nice lunch of mature cheddar, onion, tomato and lettuce on seeded bread. The tomato and lettuce were grown by my daughter in law, Maisie.

zoony

yesterday's tea was belly pork with mashed potato and swede mixed together (67% swede), and sweetheart cabbage.

zoony

Just had some very tasty tandoori chicken. I make the marinade myself from a recipe one of the fitters at work gave me. Although they're more fiddly to prepare than breasts, I prefer to use legs, as they have more flavour. The chicken had been marinading for 53 hours. Served with potato wedges and sweetcorn.

Nick

Quote from: zoony on July 30, 2020, 18:36:26 pmJust had some very tasty tandoori chicken. I make the marinade myself from a recipe one of the fitters at work gave me. Although they're more fiddly to prepare than breasts, I prefer to use legs, as they have more flavour. The chicken had been marinading for 53 hours. Served with potato wedges and sweetcorn.
Thighs are better, cheap and moist wheras chicken breast can be dry and tasteless.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2020, 19:40:32 pmThighs are better, cheap and moist wheras chicken breast can be dry and tasteless.
yes mate. Trouble is I'm not a big fan of picking meat off the bone, and have nightmares about biting into a piece of bone or gristle!

Nick

Quote from: zoony on July 30, 2020, 21:21:58 pmyes mate. Trouble is I'm not a big fan of picking meat off the bone, and have nightmares about biting into a piece of bone or gristle!
Boneless thighs are readily available. Keep it quiet but they are  the cheapest and tastiest cuts of chicken you can buy, most Asian recipies call for thighs instead of breast, if the supermarkets find out it would be a shame. I need to check but I'm guessing they re half the price of breasts per kilo.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

pxr5

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2020, 21:28:26 pmBoneless thighs are readily available. Keep it quiet but they are  the cheapest and tastiest cuts of chicken you can buy, most Asian recipies call for thighs instead of breast, if the supermarkets find out it would be a shame. I need to check but I'm guessing they re half the price of breasts per kilo.
Went to our son's for a meal last week. He cooked, but had forgotten to buy chicken so had to rush out. All he could get was boneless thigh meat and the curry he made us was amazing. As you say the meat is much better and so much cheaper than breast. That prompted us to get boneless thigh meat from Aldi. There was a load of it and I knocked a decent, tasty korma for our tea tonight. Very nice it was too and lots left over to freeze.