Author Topic: The Experience of a Kindle  (Read 5101 times)

Gandalf

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Memories.....
The Experience of a Kindle
« on: October 03, 2010, 16:40:48 PM »
 Had mine a few weeks now and I must say I'm very impressed.  Smaller than a paperback.  Potential to hold thousands of books.  Perfect for holidays.  In the long run I might suggest - better for the environment  ;)
Madmen fed on fear and lies - to beat and burn and - kill

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
Re: The Experience of a Kindle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:15:24 AM »
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Ruth Williams

• TNMS Member
  • I love Rush!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 17:27:59 PM »
has one given as gift, as I do read a fair few books, but just doesn't feel like a book, and can't get to feel easy with it. I like gadgets, love my Iphone, but I can't see this replacing real book experience

Nance

• TNMS Member
  • Yet my eyes are drawn towards..........
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 20:43:06 PM »
I am thinking about a kindle, but I am a technophobe.  I don't download music, don't have wi-fi ( but my Dad does) so is this the gadget for me.
I love reading, and this looks good for travel and holidays and reading in bed when you don't want to disturb partner.

Comments please

Cheers,

Jane
Jane

My temperature's rising, I radiate more heat than light - but that's the menopause for you!

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
  • We are all made of stars.
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 15:37:43 PM »
Wondering whether to get one of these - for £109 from Amazon. Does look like the way forward to be honest and with my bloody eyes it would be good to be able make the font size bigger!
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Gandalf

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Memories.....
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 18:30:12 PM »
and this looks good for travel and holidays and reading in bed when you don't want to disturb partner.

Comments please

Cheers,

Jane

Agreed it's fantastic for holidays.  However, remember there's no light, so it's no better than a traditional book for reading in bed.

JonL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 18:50:40 PM »
I was about to enquire about these.
I like the idea, I have no attachment to books (ie the physical item), though I understand why many do prefer them (my missus for one), so in principle, it's quite appealing to me. I suppose it's the book equivalent of vinyl vs cd or mp3.
Out of curiosity I looked up the Agassi autobiography, and it's not available yet, though about 1/2 million titles are.I've also read complaints that the download if often dearer than the paperback which seems odd.

Holding off for now, but watching with interest.

Also, how fragile is it? eg does it need to be treated with kid gloves when travelling? Will a cover case be enough to protect it? How suitable is it for, eg poolside reading on hol?
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Nicola B

• TNMS Member
  • I can but dream..
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 18:29:05 PM »
Only heard good things so far. Not sure for me thiough as I don't read anywhere near as much as I would like to. Also, bit worried about the fact when reading on holiday if you want to take a dip its more likely to get nicked than a paperback!
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 14:08:33 PM »
Take a look on the Channel Five Gadget Show website.  They did a head to head with Sony and Kindle and something else earlier in the year.  They probably have video clips of the reviews.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Nicola B

• TNMS Member
  • I can but dream..
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 19:14:51 PM »
Only heard good things so far. Not sure for me thiough as I don't read anywhere near as much as I would like to. Also, bit worried about the fact when reading on holiday if you want to take a dip its more likely to get nicked than a paperback!

My husband obviously didn't read this as I got one for Xmas....its much better than I thought and will stop me needed to cart a case load of books on holiday....the screen is great and font size can be changed which is a geat feature for over 40's....no need for reading glasses!!

JonL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 21:07:38 PM »
My husband obviously didn't read this as I got one for Xmas....its much better than I thought and will stop me needed to cart a case load of books on holiday....the screen is great and font size can be changed which is a geat feature for over 40's....no need for reading glasses!!

How does the screen/font size compare to that of an average paperback?
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Nicola B

• TNMS Member
  • I can but dream..
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 14:30:45 PM »
How does the screen/font size compare to that of an average paperback?

The actual screen is slightly smaller and the font size slightly bigger (you can change this according to how you wish to see it). I find it a little easier to read than a paperback. Downloading is very easy once you have your account set up and there are a lot of books (especially classics) that can be downloaded for free. It will certainly make me revisit these and get ones I've always wanted to read.

All in all I am really pleased with it.

Gandalf

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Memories.....
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 20:57:20 PM »
I've got a decent collection of books for the Kindle.  I'm happy to share.  pm your address if you're interested.

cabria

• TNMS Member
  • was graham1970 but my profile went pete tong
    • Graham's drumming page
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »

Agreed, difficult to improve on some pages glued together. Also, if you are reading something pretty cool no one will be able to see. Like Catcher in the Rye or something. As I mainly read crime procedurals this is something I am never likely to experience.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 22:16:41 PM »
Glad to see that Kindles are taking off a bit just recently, as I've published a Kindle edition ebook on Amazon myself. But perhaps it deserves its own thread.