The Michelin Star Experience

Started by Neph, September 01, 2010, 12:33:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Taking Mrs S to The Kitchin again next week. I offered to take her to Sat Bain's 2 Michelin star restaurant in Nottingham, he's a local lad from Derby, but she'd never heard of him...
Legend in my own Mind

BaldiePete

August 22, 2015, 00:48:57 am #31 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 00:50:36 am by BaldiePete
Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on August 22, 2015, 00:36:56 am
Taking Mrs S to The Kitchin again next week. I offered to take her to Sat Bain's 2 Michelin star restaurant in Nottingham, he's a local lad from Derby, but she'd never heard of him...

Lunch or dinner ?

The Kitchin is just down the road from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: BaldiePete on August 22, 2015, 00:48:57 am
Lunch or dinner ?

The Kitchin is just down the road from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.

Dinner, we did lunch last time and we don't have the boy with us this time :)

She doesn't like me going near Whisky, it sends me funny...
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

Being as it's raining and I can't get out to do my outdoors Bank Holiday jobs, I thought I'd write up a review of my Kitchin visit. Lucky old you lot out there in TNMSland...

Since our last visit, The Kitchin has been expanded by taking over the next door Chinese restaurant, but inside the décor is unchanged being a low-key pastel tartan soft furnishing style with Scandinavian touches. We took a drink in the bar on arrival, a Fino sherry for Mrs S, a cocktail - ulp! - for mem in the shape of Sweet Smoke Peat a concoction of Lagavulin 16yr old, Pedro Ximinez Sherry, lemon and ginger bitters. It looked like a mini Guinness and tasted of Lagavulin 16yr old. Hmmmm...

With our drinks we were served a selection of flat breads with a blue cheese and buckwheat dip. The best of these was one coloured with Squid ink, it was very fishy tasting and I'm not sure it went too well with a blue cheese dip, but it was a most tasty comestible. Whilst munching away we also decided on our menu choices: Mrs S went with the Klassik Kitchin surprise tasting menu and I went with the Celebration of the Season surprise tasting menu. Now unsurprisingly these come as a complete surprise to you, a culinary adventure. You do get asked if you have any food allergies or dislikes, but we said we were prepared for anything - something Mrs S came to regret. Slightly. We also opted for the matched wine flights.

Celebration of the Season Surprise Tasting Menu

Both menus started with the same amuse bouche, a tomato consomée with summer vegetables. This was a small cup of a clear liquid with chopped veg and micro herbs floating in it. Most unprepossessing, yet it was delicious, the very essence of ripe tomatoes. I struggled to get all mine out with the spoon provided and wanted to drink it down, but Mrs S gave me one of her "daggers" looks. :(

A pre-starter came next, this was a Tartare of line-caught Eyemouth Mackerel, very nice it was too, raw Mackerel being a bit less Mackerelly than the cooked kind. It did have tendency to drop off your fork before reaching the mouth though. This was washed down with an Australian Riesling.

The starter which followed was Ox Tongue, tongue is not one of my favourite bits of meat, but this was something else, slow cooked, moist, tender and full of rich beefy flavour. Wrapped in a fried potato basket and topped with a Quail's egg. Nice. Accompanied with a white wine, a Petit Manseng from SW France, quite a masculine, full bodied white which stood up to the rich, sweet meat.

Middle course was Hake, served with a Hollandaise reduction and various bits of seafood - Squat Lobster, Mussels, Cockles, shrimp - I'd say this was just OK. Well cooked, but Hake isn't packed with flavour. This was served with a Provencal Rosé.

Main course was Grouse. Now I like me a bit of Grouse having had it with the lunch menu at the Kitchin last time we visited. Rich, sweet and smoky, served with a red wine sauce and bread sauce. Sensational. Swilled down to the stomach with a Valtellina, an Italian red made from the Nebbiolo grape, very much like a junior Barolo, its firm tannins cutting through the rich Grouse meat. A good match.

Afore the dessert, you get a palette cleanser, mine was a very Strawberry tasting Strawberry sorbet.

Dessert was Gooseberry Panna cotta. Two things I normally avoid. More fool me is all I can say. The panna cotta was inlaid with gooseberry jelly and served with green and red gooseberries in an Elderflower consommé. Please sir, can I have some more? This was served with a late harvest Chenin Blanc from South Africa.

Classic Kitchin Surprise Tasting Menu

Poor old Mrs S, we knew of a couple of the Kitchin's signature dishes which she wasn't looking forward to facing should they come her way. Come her way they did...

First up was "Rock Pool" this is very much as it sounds; a rockpool of local shellfish and sea vegetables served with a shellfish consommé. Mrs S isn't a big fan of shellfish, and in her bowl were a Squat Lobster, mussels, cockles, oyster, squid and various other unidentified bits. Over these was poured the consommé. She gave it a go, I ate the mussels for her - best I've ever tasted, plump and sweet - but overall she thought it too much like taking the contents of a Rock pool and eating them, sea and all. Not a good start for her. This was served with an Albarino from Rias Baixas, which personally I thought went better with my Mackerel, but then I do love a good Albarino.

Next up, more shellfish, but this time it was a baked Scallop. Mrs S likes Scallops. Baked in the shell served with a white wine, vermouth and wild herb sauce, I'd have liked a taste of this but no such luck :( Mrs S likes Scallops. Meal back on track then. An Aussie Chardonnay was the choice with this one.

Middle course for Mrs S was another she'd have liked to have avoided: Pig's Head with Langoustine. This being boned and rolled pig's head served with roasted tail of langoustine and a crispy ear salad. The Pig's head is actually just the cheeks, which have been shredded and flavoured with cumin. Sticking out from this are bits of crispy pig's ear, which are very much like eating well crisped bacon rind - yes, I got a taste of this. Nothing to be scared of either. A cherry scented Nerello from Sicily was the pairing for this.

Things were well back on track for Mrs S with a main course of Duck breast and confit duck leg. Mrs S likes duck. I don't like to see her licking the plate clean >:( Rioja was the choice for this. Good Call.

The palette cleanser for Mrs S was a Blueberry sorbet, which led nicely into her dessert of Blueberry sorbet with a blueberry ripple ice cream. Apparently this was "delish", well, it didn't look bad, but a quick tasted would have been nice... I did get to taste the Tokaji 5 puttonyos, marginally less sweet than my dessert wine. Makes sense for a marginally less sweet dessert.

After this it was back to the bar for coffee and petits fours. Mrs S was rather replete, so it was left to me to devour the Orange macaroons and salted caramel chocolates.

Mrs S wants to know when we can go back again. I've told her to get a better job...
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

A Baked Scallop

An Ox Tongue

Hake

A Pig's Ear

Gooseberry

Blueberry
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

Great presentation of top notch nosh, guessing at about £250 plus tip for the bill?

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: NeilP on August 31, 2015, 17:34:58 pm
Great presentation of top notch nosh, guessing at about £250 plus tip for the bill?

Not far off...

Had to spend the day begging on Thursday and as for what Mrs S got up to...
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

September 01, 2015, 00:31:43 am #37 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 21:32:17 pm by NeilP
well it was the Edinburgh Fringe! ;)

zoony

captainkurtz

Booked into, I think, Newcastle's only Michelin star restaurant on Wednesday for our 10th wedding anniversary.

Looking forward to it, but booking was a real ballache.  You cannot book online, it took about 10 attempts over 3 days to get someone to pick up the telephone (answerphone message not acted upon) and they take your CC details over the phone and charge you £50 per head if you cancel with less that 24 hours notice.

Not a great start.
Anger is a gift.

Matt2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on September 28, 2015, 11:57:49 am
Booked into, I think, Newcastle's only Michelin star restaurant on Wednesday for our 10th wedding anniversary.

Looking forward to it, but booking was a real ballache.  You cannot book online, it took about 10 attempts over 3 days to get someone to pick up the telephone (answerphone message not acted upon) and they take your CC details over the phone and charge you £50 per head if you cancel with less that 24 hours notice.

Not a great start.

Aloofness is part of the package at this price level.  ::)
The keys to happiness

captainkurtz

My favourite bit was when the waiter went flying with a tray of cheese and biscuits.  Loved that bit.
Anger is a gift.

Dods

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 05, 2015, 23:32:01 pm
My favourite bit was when the waiter went flying with a tray of cheese and biscuits.  Loved that bit.

Oh dear!

captainkurtz

Don't worry - they weren't for me.  ;D
Anger is a gift.

Nïckslïkk2112

Much as I hate the place, after watching the Great British Menu I might have to visit Leeds to eat at The Man Behind the Curtain as Hair Metal Chef Michael O'Hare has gained a Michelin star.
He looks like Oddbod Junior and has a Flying V tattoo and makes the most unusual dishes.
Legend in my own Mind