• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
June 25, 2019, 02:38:34 am

The Michelin Star Experience

Started by Neph, September 01, 2010, 11:33:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Neph

My wife and myself had always promised ourselves that we would dine out at a Michelin rated restaurant. We eventually did so last Friday at The Kitchin in Edinburgh. We knew it would be expensive and were a bit concerned that it wouldn't be worth the money, thankfully it was worth every penny. We had the tasting menu which consisted of seven courses of culinary delights and a different glass of wine with each course (well the wife had a different glass with each course, I was driving ::)). Pick of the courses for me where :

Pig’s Head & Langoustine
Boned and rolled pig’s head, served with roasted tail of langoustine from Anstruther, and a crispy ear salad
&
Lobster
Whole grilled lobster from Newhaven cooked Thermidor style, served with buttered samphire, sea spinach and sauteed squid
&
Lamb
Rack of Dornoch lamb served with crispy shoulder and ratatouille style vegetables

Apparently the wines were also pretty amazing. The bill came to £200 which is far more than we've ever paid for a meal before but it was still worth every penny.
#herewego10inarow

NeilP

Good stuff Michael.

Done it several times and like you, have gone for tasting menu's generally. Great food but the price can sometimes be taking the piss.

Red Star

Quote from: Neph on September 01, 2010, 11:33:33 am
Pig’s Head & Langoustine
Boned and rolled pig’s head, served with roasted tail of langoustine from Anstruther, and a crispy ear salad

FFS Mike, is this for real? Did they shave all the hair off for you! ::)
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

NeilP

they're called pork scratchings around here Chris

zoony

Quote from: NeilP on September 01, 2010, 20:20:44 pm
they're called pork scratchings around here Chris

Lol. You and Neph are lucky fellas to be able to afford to try eating out at places like that Neil, and i bloody envy you both. Heston's Fat duck restaurant does a splending looking tasting menu, and that's well in excess of £100 a head, and there's a waiting list of months as well i believe.

Ron

We are lucky enough to have several Michelin star restaurants around here. One time we even had a two-star restaurant, but unfortunately, the cook got into a fight with the hotel management he was working with.
Great food indeed, but certainly at much nicer prices than the ones you are mentioning here (up to 160 â,¬ per couple, I'd say).
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

captainkurtz

Pigs head?  Thank feck I'm Muslim!
Anger is a gift.

zoony

At the other end of the scale, does anyone remember the infamous cheese dogs that were on sale outside the MEN arena when RUSH played there in 2007? Now even i struggled to eat that crap!

Spud

Didn't go to a michelin starred restaurant but to an award winning Tapas (won the F-Word best Tapas last year) - El Gato Negro in Ripponden.  Vert nice but some extremely rich dishes.  Highlight for me was the beer - £10 for a bottle (750ml, 4.8%)

Neph

The wife and I went to another Michelin star rated restaurant last night, this time in was Martin Wishart's restaurant. The food was slightly better than Tom kitchin's but there wasn't much between them. The ceviche of halibut was one of the nicest things I've ever tasted though.
#herewego10inarow

zoony

Quote from: Neph on January 15, 2011, 13:48:07 pm
The wife and I went to another Michelin star rated restaurant last night, this time in was Martin Wishart's restaurant. The food was slightly better than Tom kitchin's but there wasn't much between them. The ceviche of halibut was one of the nicest things I've ever tasted though.

Sounds like you're starting to get a taste for the high life Neph. I don't blame you mate  ;).

Neph

January 16, 2011, 19:55:03 pm #11 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 19:57:27 pm by Neph
Quote from: zoony on January 15, 2011, 20:28:13 pm
Sounds like you're starting to get a taste for the high life Neph. I don't blame you mate  ;).

I did fear that would happen Zoony, the first time was supposed to be a one off, but as you say, you get a taste for the high life. Last night's dinner was a chicken sandwich so it was back to reality with a bump. Me and Mrs. Neph didn't get each other anything for Christmas so we treated ourselves. A lot of these restaurants to gift vouchers so every month we'll buy some and when we have enough we'll make a booking.
#herewego10inarow

zoony

Quote from: Neph on January 16, 2011, 19:55:03 pm
I did fear that would happen Zoony, the first time was supposed to be a one off, but as you say, you get a taste for the high life. Last night's dinner was a chicken sandwich so it was back to reality with a bump. Me and Mrs. Neph didn't get each other anything for Christmas so we treated ourselves. A lot of these restaurants to gift vouchers so every month we'll buy some and when we have enough we'll make a booking.

Let me know what you have next time then mate, i can't afford to eat it, so the next best thing is to read about it  ;).

Tom Garrett

Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Nïckslïkk2112

Whilst up in Embra for a few days last week, I thought it would be a good idea to take Mrs S - and the boy - out for some decent nosebag, especially as she's 50 next week and I hadn't taken her out for a meal since her 40th...

I decided that we'd make a gastronomic port of call in the Foodie Haven that is Leith. The choice was between The Kitchin and Martin Wishart's. I decided that because the boy likes Masterchef that we would go and visit wee Tom Kitchin as he pops on said Prog, so we booked in for lunch.

We went down to Leith on the bus which embarassed Mrs S as the bus stop where we alighted was opposite the Kithcin - but on it's non-public face. With it being lunchtime - and with me being tight - we decided on the 3 course set lunch, which may not be as fancy as the a la carte menu but which should show why the place has a Michelin star, and at £36.50 it semt a bargain.

We all had different starters, the wife had a salad of English Heritage tomatoes served with barbequed Mackerel from St Abb's head and a pesto dressing. The boy went for teh Terrine of Monkfish liver from Scrabster served with a Fennel and Lemon compote. I had the  Pea soup served with lettuce, croutons, crispy bacon and goats cheese ravioli. Pea Soup? I'm not taking the piss, but it was the best pea soup ever and the goat's cheese in the raviloi was delicious and creamy.

For mains, the gruesome twosome both had Roasted Loomswood farm Duck served with an endive tatin, roasted celeriac and orange sauce. I elected to pay a supplement for Grouse, which was roasted on the bone, then served off the bone with bread sauce, game chips and Perthshire Girolles. It was superb, cooked to prefection, the meat melted in your mouth and was sweet, smoky and slightly gamey. Mrs S thoight her duck was the best she'd ever had.

For dessert, the boy had a Lemon soufflé served with frozen yoghurt and Mrs S and myself had a baked cheesecake served with Scottich blueberries, toasted cobnuts and a blueberry sorbet. It was divine :)

To drink with the meal we went for the matched lunch wine package which gave a glass with each course, the sommelier explained why he had made the choices he did, and much as I'd have loved to have found fault with his choices I couldn't. Personally I wouldn't have thought of a Chianti to go with Grouse, shows what I know...

We finished off with coffee and petit fours and Tom Kitchen came out himself to have a word with us, he was impressed that the boy chose the Monkfish liver, as that was the most challenging dish on the lunch menu.

I must make mention of the service, it was immaculate - even if they were French - nobody had to ask who was having what it was all delivered where it should have been.

Heartily recommended, we did pop over to Wishart's to see his lunch menu and that would have not have  been as much to our tastes.
Legend in my own Mind