So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 5

Started by Dixkot, January 07, 2010, 12:00:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixkot

Phil

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Nick Sims on May 05, 2010, 23:15:04 pm

Ackroyd is brilliant! Its a massive undertaking both for him as the writer/researcher and for the reader. I've had my copy for a long time and only manage a chapter at a time at the most....but it is excellent. Its the kind of book I could chose for My Desert Island Discs......mmmmm....solitude......sigh!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on May 09, 2010, 11:43:54 am
Ackroyd is brilliant! Its a massive undertaking both for him as the writer/researcher and for the reader. I've had my copy for a long time and only manage a chapter at a time at the most....but it is excellent. Its the kind of book I could chose for My Desert Island Discs......mmmmm....solitude......sigh!

I've had it a couple of weeks now, and tend to read a chapter at a time whilst ensconced on the "throne". Most enjoyable book. I got his book on the Thames "Sacred River" at the same time.
Legend in my own Mind

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Nick Sims on May 09, 2010, 15:11:44 pm
I've had it a couple of weeks now, and tend to read a chapter at a time whilst ensconced on the "throne". Most enjoyable book. I got his book on the Thames "Sacred River" at the same time.

You do that too eh.? My Granddad, bless him, used to take up a flask and a book to the bath for a couple of hours......almost as good as a garden shed he used to say.. :)

Ron

Quote from: Bisto on May 09, 2010, 11:43:54 am

Got that one here laying about as well. Haven't had the time to start in it yet.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on May 09, 2010, 16:40:59 pm
You do that too eh.? My Granddad, bless him, used to take up a flask and a book to the bath for a couple of hours......almost as good as a garden shed he used to say.. :)

I don't do the flask bit, but I've just has a nice half hour reading in the bath, and it's like father like son with the reading on the throne. Sims jnr doesn't look like carrying on the tradition though - he can't read, and he won't shit ;)
Legend in my own Mind

dwtty

Andrew Taylor's 'Bleeding Heart Square'.

A fecking excellent book, recommend it to everyone. Set in a dark, gloomy and grimly realistic 1930's London and is a murder mystery but written in a seriously hypnotic pace, thick with plot and the twist at the end? Well I didn't see that one coming!!

Started reading it late Saturday night and got through it by Monday 7am. Not bad considering we were out all day Sunday, could not put it down.
Never trust a man with a weak chin.

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

andyhaines

Just finished Willy Vlautin's Lean On Pete. Enjoyed it. :)

...back to Ben Okri now.

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

Ron

Crewe

Phil

I've just finished The Egde Of The World by Kevin J Anderson

This book is dedicated to none other than Neil Peart. The dedication reads:

"To Neil Peart

A friend for nearly twenty years, and his music has given me tremendous inspirition for longer than that.
without those lyrics triggering a cascade of ideas, many of my stories would never have been conceived."

Apologies if this info has been posted before

Prof jnr

July 05, 2010, 00:08:25 am #57 Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 00:12:02 am by Prof jnr
Just read the first chapter of Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith. Seems good.

[attachment deleted by admin]
If we're so much the same like I always hear,
Why such different fortunes and fates?
Some of us live in a cloud of fear,
Some live behind iron gates

Ron

Read a few stories up to now. This one comes highly recommended!

Crewe

döm

Bit of a crash course in mnemonics but its pretty good - I can now reel of all the Kings and Queens of England
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!