So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 5

Started by Dixkot, January 07, 2010, 12:00:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew_Haldane

Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch

"What would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the fuzz?"

"A hilaroius, keenly imagined caper."

"A consumate story of real policing in a vividly real world intersecting the decidedly unreal to marvellous effect."

Mike

I don't hold out many hopes if those are the best review quotes picked for use on the back of the book. Especially the last one as it's a particularly pathetic effort and its creator needs hanging by the testicles for a lengthy period.

pdw1

Quote from: Mike on January 10, 2013, 20:23:30 pm
I don't hold out many hopes if those are the best review quotes picked for use on the back of the book. Especially the last one as it's a particularly pathetic effort and its creator needs hanging by the testicles for a lengthy period.

Could almost be a Rush lyric
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Mike on January 10, 2013, 20:23:30 pm

Righty ho! Feel free not to read it then :)

Mike

The problem is that now you've mentioned it, like the pleb that I am, I now need to know if it really is Harry Potter for the Police ( Copeland / Sting / Voldemort in-fighting notwithstanding)  or, as I suspect, something just a touch too bizarre even for the reviewers and the general public.

Report on my desk by end of term, please.

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Mike on January 11, 2013, 00:31:13 am
The problem is that now you've mentioned it, like the pleb that I am, I now need to know if it really is Harry Potter for the Police ( Copeland / Sting / Voldemort in-fighting notwithstanding)  or, as I suspect, something just a touch too bizarre even for the reviewers and the general public.

Report on my desk by end of term, please.

Shant tell and yer can't make us neither...Ner!  :P

captainkurtz

Anger is a gift.

JonL

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

captainkurtz

Mick Wall's recent AC/DC book.

Enjoyable so far.
Anger is a gift.

pdw1

His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
Finished Northern Lights and started The Subtle Knife.
So far I have to say I am not that impressed. As a story teller he is not a patch on J.K. Rowling  :-X
Perhaps it will get better  :-\

döm

Quote from: pdw1 on February 18, 2013, 17:09:51 pm
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
Finished Northern Lights and started The Subtle Knife.
So far I have to say I am not that impressed. As a story teller he is not a patch on J.K. Rowling  :-X
Perhaps it will get better  :-\

Seriously ?  I don't think JK Rowling is fit enough to sharpen Pullmans' pencils.  If you're a book and a half in it's not going to get any better for you  I'm afraid.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Chris Quartly

Agreed, Dom. I really enjoyed the trilogy, though I thought that the first book was the best. I would set them down if you're not into it by now, Patrick.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

pdw1

I am intrigued enough by the overall concept to carry on but I do feel the characters are thinly drawn out, even Lyra.
I'll add some more thoughts when I have finished.