Your TNMS meet up of the noughties

Started by zoony, January 02, 2010, 10:45:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

What was your favourite meet up/gathering of the decade then? I enjoyed all the ones i were involved in, from just seeing one TNMSer, up to the EUCONs and concert gatherings, but would have to plump for EUCON06 at the Limelight as the tops. Met a load of the very best people who come on here for the first time that day, with the ale and conversation flowing, great talk from Donna Halper, and two storming live sets from Joe's band and Counterparts. That day would probably be in one of my most memorable of the whole decade tbh.

BaldiePete

Quote from: zoony on January 02, 2010, 10:45:41 am
What was your favourite meet up/gathering of the decade then? I enjoyed all the ones i were involved in, from just seeing one TNMSer, up to the EUCONs and concert gatherings, but would have to plump for EUCON06 at the Limelight as the tops. Met a load of the very best people who come on here for the first time that day, with the ale and conversation flowing, great talk from Donna Halper, and two storming live sets from Joe's band and Counterparts. That day would probably be in one of my most memorable of the whole decade tbh.

zoony

LOL! Still got that pic under my mattress Pete!

Muppet

One likes to believe
In the freedom of music

zoony

Quote from: Muppet on January 02, 2010, 12:09:31 pm
The one of you and Ash, Rob?  ???

Now now Phil! No mate, Ruth of course. I do miss her, you just don't see her these days.

TerrBerr

Good question Zoons. In order to answer this I first thought I would compile a list of my fave TNMS meets that included more than three TNMSers because, since Ron moved here you could theoretically call EVERY day a TNMS meet in our house. Looking over this list, it's hard to pick a single meet as my favourite, so here's a top 5:

1 Galway - those who were there may agree
2 Rush in TO - what could be better than Rush with my sisters, my new man, and my TNMS posse?
3 Newcastle '05 - my first weekend away with the TNMS lot
4 Eucon '04 - I met a lot of the TNMSers for the first time here
5 Eucon '05/Eucon '06 - joint 5th place holders

Here's the full list in chronological order, that I can remember, with some Memorable Moments (MM) listed.

Sep-04   Eucon   My first meet with the good folk of TNMS. MM - winning Rush Idol
Feb-05   Derby    Midlands TNMS meet at the Dolphin. Why did we stop doing this?
Apr-05   Newcastle   My first weekend booze-trip with TNMSers. Had my first female snog...
Jul-05   Derby    MM - Slim got pissed on Headcracker and I snogged Maz again :P
Aug-05   Eucon at Leeds   MM - Curry on Friday and the rock disco after Eucon
Sep-05   Green Man Reunion   My first meet in the big smoke with the Southern Softies
Oct-05   Nottingham   Micke, Maz, Paul, Lynda, Simsy and me crawl real ale pubs in Nottingham
Oct-05   YYZ does ESL at LL   Total carnage at the Limelight with YYZ and ARH Djing. Met Abaddon..
Jan-06   Manchester   MM - My first visit to Jilly's rock world
Feb-06   Scots meet in Glasgow   MM - BP jumping for joy when the Scots won the rugby Derby
Apr-06   2112 at Moses Gate   Total carnage with ARH, RedStar, Roadcrew, Paz, Pez, Dave Egan and the CP Posse
Jun-06   CP at Great Harwood   MM - VT crashing into the light stand and recovering with the funky chicken
Jul-06   ARH35   MM - The hangover was monumental. Must have been a good night…
Aug-06   Scots meet in Aberdeen   Ugh - 7-hour train journey, hungover both ways, met the gorgeous Hainsey for the first time, checked into hotel at 3am, Dix's foul farts
Sep-06   Eucon at LL   Donna Halper, Joe's band played a blinder, followed by CP's amazing gig
Dec-06   YYZ at Moses Gate   I don't remember a lot about this, I was jetlagged and got drunk really quick…
Feb-07   Blackfield pre-gig   The entire Southern Softie posse (plus Craig Smith). My first solo taping gig
May-07   CP at The Intake   Another great gig by the CP guys
Sep-07   Tragically Hip pre-gig   The band rocked, too bad about all the drunk Canucks in the audience.
Oct-07   Stalker Tour 2   MM - Jilly's, MEN Block 102 ROCKED!
Dec-07   CP at Haydock   MM - Free curry courtesy of Neilp :P
Apr-08   Southern Softies   Life lesson #121 - when the chair slips out from beneath you, it's time to quit drinking
Apr-08   Scots meet in the AOTN   MM - That great little bar we went to where the band played SoR
May-08   Galway   MM - Too many to mention! Worthy of its own thread…
Jul-08   Rush in TO   OMG! Rush in my hometown with my sisters and my new man, and TNMS posse!
Jul-08   Bravado at the Diamond   Post gig lock-in. Giles and Matt saw the sun rise. Matt nearly killed us the next day
Sep-08   Limehouse Lizzy Belfast   My first visit to Belfast Empire. Colin Brown and Alison, Sanzo and Jonno in attendance
Oct-08   PT at Indig02 pre-gig   MM - Shouting "I love you, Steve!" to SW. Ron and Tom whirling around together in post-gig elation
Nov-08   Bravado at the Diamond   Neilp made it down from the NW for his first Bravado gig
Jan-09   King's X W'hampton pre-gig   Cheap beer, 99p for the IPA, followed by a storming gig
Jan-09   King's X Camden pre-gig   Best pre-gig meet of the noughties. 'nuff said
Jan-09   Bravado at Robin2   A great Midlands meet up with the mighty Bravs!
May-09   Bravado at the Diamond   Sanzo all the way from Northern Ireland and Ronnie, all the way from Gotham!
Jul-09   ARH38   One word - trampoline! I still have the scars from that night
Sep-09   Bravado at Moses Gate   Post-gig party Chez HardSkin with GH until the wee-small hours
Sep-09   Party Chez HardSkin   Impromptu piss up with ARH and Zoe. Airhead game was great fun!
Nov-09   Bravado at the Diamond   Sunday night spectacular. Honours to Sanzo for making the journey
Dec-09   Tragically Hip night   Nice to see Mike and Kerry again, AndyG and Rach at front, the Hip ROCKED!
To me you're a Captain, but to a Captain, you're no Captain!

zoony

Fair play to you for remembering all those Terry!

BaldiePete

Quote from: TerrBerr on January 02, 2010, 19:51:38 pm
Apr-05   Newcastle   My first weekend booze-trip with TNMSers. Had my first female snog...

Feb-06   Scots meet in Glasgow   MM - BP jumping for joy when the Scots won the rugby Derby

Me celebrate Scotland beating England. Never !!  ;D

I think that was the time with the infamous curry that Stuart Borland complained about the price of. The restaurant burned down a few days later .... 

Aug-06   Scots meet in Aberdeen   Ugh - 7-hour train journey, hungover both ways, met the gorgeous Hainsey for the first time, checked into hotel at 3am, Dix's foul farts

Now that's Rock N' Roll. Didn't I try and show you how to dance the Gay Gordons in the middle of Union Street ?

Apr-08   Scots meet in the AOTN   MM - That great little bar we went to where the band played SoR

AOTN   ;D  You're learning  ;)

The bar was called Whistlebinkies.  I started to feel unwell because I was on beta-blockers at the time and they didn't agree with the copious quantities of alcohol that I'd been guzzling. Time to bail out and go home for me  :(

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: zoony on January 02, 2010, 10:45:41 am

That would be my one too. Everything was pretty much perfect for me...although it would have been even better to have had more more SS Troops in attendance ;)

Slim

I enjoyed all the Midlands TNMS meets at the Dolphin. Here's a pic from the first one:

I well remember the Headcracker night. Never drink that stuff in pints.

Haven't attended too many apart from those. The R30 Manchester one is very memorable because I met Sari, and because it was the first time I met a few other TNMSers. Also, it inspired Andy to compose a Slim In Normal Bloke Shocker thread, which made me laugh.

But the Aug 2005 meet in Wembley was a lot of fun too, as was the 2007 Newcastle gig meet.

Oor Wullie

My most memorable meet ups were definitely the two Rush tours in 2004 and 2007, Eucon'03 at the Limelight Club(where I met a lot of TNMSers for the first time) and EuCon'06 when we were all back at the Limelight.  It was most memorable for me as I was involved firstly with Rush Idol,  and then the Donna Halper talk, and then our band (Joe's Band) performing and topping it all off with Counterparts at the end.

Brilliant times and brilliant memories.
Glasgow - 15/4/1992
London - 8/9/2004
London - 9/9/2004
Birmingham - 11/9/2004
Manchester - 12/9/2004
Glasgow - 14/9/2004
Glasgow - 3/10/2007
Newcastle - 5/10/2007
Sheffield - 6/10/2007
Dublin - 12/5/2011
Glasgow - 14/5/2011
Newcastle - 21/5/2011
Manchester - 22/5/2013
Glasgow - 30/5/2013

Matt2112

Difficult to pick a "best" one, but Galway was superb, EuCon '06 was when I made a lot of new friends and witnessed two outstanding covers bands in Joe's Band and Counterparts; ARHs 35 and 38 were total until-first-light carnage.  Then there was the Manc meet-up a couple of years ago one legendary Friday when I left Jilly's at 7am and, erm, "overslept" on the train back to Huddersfield.  ::)  ;D
The keys to happiness

Analog RH

January 05, 2010, 08:44:08 am #12 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:45:45 am by Analog Rockin' Hard

Looking at Berr's list makes my liver hurt.  ;) ;D

As well as those listed - or at least the ones I attended lol - there was a fab meetup to see YYZ at Moses Gate between Christmas and New Year in 2003. The Green Man pre-gig on the R30 tour was notable as I met Pudders for the first time. I'll also never forget headbanging at a Trouble gig with pdw1, cygnusxdave and Bisto. A significant one for me was Glasgow on 8th June 2007, which changed everything.

If I could do just one of them again it would be Galway '08. A perfect (long) weekend from start to finish.

pdw1

Quote from: Analog Rockin' Hard on January 05, 2010, 08:44:08 am
I'll also never forget headbanging at a Trouble gig with pdw1, cygnusxdave and Bisto.

That was a great night - and we were all sober for once  :o
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Andrew_Haldane

Quote from: Analog Rockin' Hard on January 05, 2010, 08:44:08 am
I'll also never forget headbanging at a Trouble gig with pdw1, cygnusxdave and Bisto. A significant one for me was Glasgow on 8th June 2007, which changed everything.

Guys, I will take that memory with me to the Grave. Grins Cheshire Cat Stylee....right where's that Manic Frustration cd?