Aldi

Started by TerrBerr, August 31, 2009, 15:52:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Captain Ron

Quote from: rufus the dawg on September 09, 2009, 10:38:26 am
what a good idea!

LMAO. Don't forget the sack over your head with ragged eye holes.  ;D
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Nance

I use for Aldi for the bulk of the shoppping. There are one or two things that they don't do and I have to resort to Asda for them.  I swapped to Aldi when the economy took a down turn and initially went just to compare prices ( not that Asda is expensive!).
Was happy with the quality and prices so have stayed.  The cooked meat is way superior to Asda tastless stuff. (Still have to get Asda ham - its the only way the cat will have her tablets ::))
Dont agree with Tesco policies so dont go there, we have a Sainbury's locally which is a bit too handly to 'pop in' for last min things - very expensive. I try to shop locally, i.e. markets etc at least once a week.
Jane

My temperature's rising, I radiate more heat than light - but that's the menopause for you!

rufus the dawg

i have also found aldi better then lidl

Captain Ron

Aldi's prosciutto ham is awesome. The real deal at a fraction of what it normally costs.

Redbecg

Aldi is ok, I tend to avoid Netto and Lidl. I don't find I save much money tbh, I did a comparison between Aldi and Waitrose and though my shopping was a fraction cheaper, I found I noticed the quality wasn't as good. You really do get what you pay for. So I tend to do shopping at local farmer's shops, the market and Waitrose (or wasteloads!)

Does Aldi support British farmers with their meat produce or does it tend to all come from abroad?

NeilP

Quote from: Redbecg on September 17, 2009, 21:54:51 pm

Does Aldi support British farmers with their meat produce or does it tend to all come from abroad?

Not sure but doubt they do.
Where does Waitrose Prosciutto come from?

döm

Quote from: NeilP on September 18, 2009, 10:58:33 am

Well in the Irish stores the fresh meat is all Irish sourced - I doubt it would be any different in the UK
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

rufus the dawg

basics can be done at aldi, but go to farmers markets and butchers and veg shops for those type of goods.
here in wales there is a farmer that works a mile away that produces meat for waitrose and is well known to have some of the best lamb around. but i may as well go to aldi for my prosiutto, parmesan etc -waitrose quality is no better then aldi for those type of goods.

Redbecg

Quote from: NeilP on September 18, 2009, 10:58:33 am

The 'real' stuff is from Italy but the 'not real stuff' comes from farms 'darn south'.

Rufus - I did a comparison. Waitrose (Shared Earth) Chirizo is better than Aldi and the same money! (I was quite shocked!) I found the Aldi one had quite a synthetic after taste. Saying that so does the M&S one (which is currently a ÂÃ,£1 a pack.)

I love Aldi pesto though, green and red. The Rocket and parmigiana is gorgeous!

dwtty

Always used Aldi's.Do exactly what they say they do. Desserts good, strudels in particular and their own brand beers are good.

Best non food product is their ginger conditioner, something like 70p and is amazing.
Never trust a man with a weak chin.

Redbecg

Ohhhh may have to try that.

Was very impressed with the camping gear they had in Aldi as well, loads of stuff that cost a small fortune at the camp shop, managed to get for a fraction of the price. (Solar powered/wind up radio for ÂÃ,£4!)

Captain Ron

Now as an Ulsterman I am very very VERY particular about my cheese and onion crisps.
I am absolutely devastated to admit that Aldi Brassiere Mature Irish cheddar and red onion potato crisps are without a doubt the best cheese and onion crisps I have ever tasted. Even better than .. than .. TAYTO.. I've done it now. The Ulster crisp manufacturers will hunt me down and burn me as a heretic.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Captain Ron on March 03, 2010, 22:42:30 pm

The Ulster crisp manufacturers will hunt me down and burn me as a heretic.

they will knee cap you and they know where you live

Tom Garrett

Quote from: TerrBerr on August 31, 2009, 23:15:44 pm
We got some sea bass fillets for Ã,£3.69.

The tinned red salmon at Ã,£1.35 is just amazing.
Had their sea bass fillets tonight, bloody fantastic.
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!