Author Topic: New home cinema up and running.  (Read 3178 times)

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Intense? Who? Me? ..... Thanks Geddy! :)
Re: New home cinema up and running.
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 23:04:02 PM »
I honestly think the spec I am going to will likely be as far as I take room based AV. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are surround sound object based systems that in theory don't care how many speakers there are in your setup but 7.1.4 is considered "reference" by Dolby for their atmos format in a home installation. Getting the speakers positioned as Dolby recommend in our living room though required much head scratching and pondering and a few compromises but I think I have it figured. :)
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 18:07:45 PM »
No more nails?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Dave64K

• TNMS Member
  • Keown does General Thade
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 20:47:33 PM »
I was wondering how the estate agent would react to the ......yes I know the local schools are good but is the lounge Dolby 7.1.4 compliant?  ;D
How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 13:31:47 PM »
I recently added four Canton Plus X.3 speakers to the ceiling for ATMOS / DTS:X duties and replaced my Canton subwoofer with a BK Electric XXLS400 sub and purchased an Oppo 203 UHD universal disk and network media player. Depending on some pending calculations I will likely be placing an order for an LG OLED55E6V TV and an Onkyo TX-RZ3100 AV receiver at the end of next week. I am going to want to wall mount the LG and recess the lower part of it with all the connections into the wall. The TV will be attached to an extending cantilevered wall mount for easy access to the back of the TV when required. The aesthetic objective is to have the screen area flat on the wall so that the apparent depth of the TV will only be about 3-4MM.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 13:48:01 PM »
Heard some ATMOS demos at work a couple of weeks back.....very cool!!
Have you not seen the new LG TV being demoed at CES which actually was about 2mm thick and sticks to the wall by magnets and metal plates?

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 13:56:07 PM »
Yes. Very nice. Unfortunately though the entire industry is dropping 3D support and that includes LG. Consequently, the 2016 range which do have 3D are now straight to the top of my purchase list. 3D basically failed in the market. Most home implementations of it are rubbish. LG managed to completely sort it though and it is a killer feature when it is done right like they have managed. Unfortunately they only ever succeeded with 3D on their OLED sets which are still pricey items so all that Joe Public really knows about 3D is that it is a wobbly technology that can give you headaches or isn't really as good as it is in a good well calibrated 3D equipped cinema. Losing 3D also loses the DualPlay facility and that is also something I am very interested in utilising. I considered the 65" but ultimately decided the 55 was more suitable for our dwelling and also is considerably less expensive!  :)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 17:29:57 PM »
Yes 3D does seem to have lost it's appeal in the industry with all the R&D money going into HDR and improving picture technologies. Not being a gamer I had forgotten about the dual screen ability this brought too.

It does appear one company KDX is still flying the flag and has also developed from what I hear a very good glasses free 3D technology - not sure if this would also support the gaming dual screen though....more info here :-

http://www.crossroadstoday.com/story/34202453/kdx-announces-agreement-with-philips-to-partner-on-glasses-free-3d-display-technology-for-the-chinese-market