Charlie Owen - Horse's Arse Series

Started by graham1970, June 01, 2009, 11:55:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

graham1970

Anyone read the Horse's Arse series of novels by Charlie Owen? I recommend you all do - from the posts of the DVD/TV section it is obvious there are a lot of Life on Mars fans out there. 

If you are a fan of any of the following;

The Sweeney
Life on Mars
The 1970's

... then this is the series for you.

It is a sort of loose 'Police Procedural' set in the 1970's and to date comprises three books:

Horse's Arse
Foxtrot Oscar
Bravo Jubilee

They are set in Handforth - an imaginary overspill town 'in North Manchester'. From the description in the opening of the first novel, of a town created for the petrochemical industry, I suspect that the closest may be Partington - but I am just guessing (and besides - Partington is in South Manchester....).

The books are set in the Police Force of the town in the 1970's - Handforth is the worst posting in the force - all of the bad egg bobbies with 'use of force issues' go there - what many would term a 'Punishment Posting'. Meanwhile, Greater Manchester uses Handforth in much the same way - all of the bad egg tenants go there.

The main characters:

The Brothers (Henry Walsh  & Jim Stewart) - total nutters who man the crime car together - chalk and cheese (Henry a public school boy and Jim an ex-Para) but work together well.

Bob 'Ooh Yah' Young
Alfie (the police dog)

Psycho

Pizza

Ally

Piggy

Simon Edwardes (bent solicitor who supplements his income by peddling info regarding his clients to the local DCI).

I suppose this is a sort of Choirboys for the UK, and if you grew up in the 1970's (as I did) than you are going to find it a good read.

I suspect that Charlie Owen may not be his real name - the content a bit naughty for him to use his real name.

Just about to start the latest one (Bravo Jubilee). 

I'd feel worse if I wasn't so heavily sedated