Author Topic: Ayn Rand back in the news and the bestsellers list  (Read 4705 times)

döm

• TNMS Member
Re: Ayn Rand back in the news and the bestsellers list
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 22:39:35 PM »
[9 years later]
Where has capitalism been left to its own devices?
I don't view capitalism as perfect, but it has lifted millions of people out of poverty, and made millions more extremely comfortable. I don't know of an alternative philosophy with similar powers to sustain humanity, and in any case - capitalism is the natural human condition. It's what happens when people are allowed to thrive, and it can only be defeated by tyranny.

Wow Slim  what possessed you to dredge up this antique?

I think I was referring to the banking crisis, where a light touch approach from the regulatory authorities had allowed banks to chase profits  with no heed to the consequences. She was completely against political controls that stifle self interest but they are necessary

I think her view of human nature was wrong in that although there is undoubtedly a basic drive for self-interest, there is also a basic drive for the collective and fof people to help each other.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 13:04:32 PM »
1. Trade is different from Capitalism. Trading I feel is normal for homo sapiens.

2. Collaboration and society is a very strong a trait of Homo sapiens. TNMS is a society of sorts!

3. Looking at all debt (government and public) bought about because of Capitalism makes me wonder that it might not be working.

4. Does Capitalism rely on low wages to maintain profitability?

5. Is Capitalism behind Global warming and all the tons of plastic in the sea. 8 million metric tons of plastic in the world oceans. Highest levels of C02 since records started.

6. You can argue that capitalism has lifted people out of poverty but when the recorded stats say that you only have to earn $1.9 a day not to be recorded in poverty i'm not sure it's worked. Could you live on $1.9 a day?

7. What are the consequences on world wildlife because of Capitalism? 60% of all wildlife is wiped out, is that because of capitalism?

Just thoughts, the answers would make TNMS very famous if we could sort the world out.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
2. Collaboration and society is a very strong a trait of Homo sapiens. TNMS is a society of sorts!
Errr, no. Discord, disharmony, discontent, tribalism, fear of the other these are all very strong traits of Homo Sapiens.

7. What are the consequences on world wildlife because of Capitalism? 60% of all wildlife is wiped out, is that because of capitalism?
No.
Where was Capitalism when the extinctions of the Pleistocene Megafauna took place?
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 13:00:27 PM »
Errr, no. Discord, disharmony, discontent, tribalism, fear of the other these are all very strong traits of Homo Sapiens.

Yet the trend for feudalism slopes downward with the passing of time.
HYFTOUR30

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 10:22:35 AM »

Maybe in your world, Tribalism is a type of society though.

No.
Where was Capitalism when the extinctions of the Pleistocene Megafauna took place?

I said "what" it was a question.
"Human activity, including habitat loss, wildlife trade, pollution and climate change contributed to the declines." bbc

Are these manifestation of capitalism?