Author Topic: Ayn Rand back in the news and the bestsellers list  (Read 4459 times)

pdw1

• TNMS Member
Ayn Rand back in the news and the bestsellers list
« on: March 11, 2009, 17:33:34 PM »
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Dixkot

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
Re: Ayn Rand back in the news and the bestsellers list
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 17:47:06 PM »

Shifting this over to the literature section.

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
  • We are all made of stars.
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 13:29:22 PM »
Atlas Shrugged has to be the most boring book I've ever bothered to struggle to get to the end of.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Lucy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 22:40:19 PM »
Atlas Shrugged has to be the most boring book I've ever bothered to struggle to get to the end of.

read this article from The Times the other day

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/ben_macintyre/article5891111.ece

it had nothing good to say about Atlas Shrugged but recommends The Great Gatsby which I've always liked  :)

Rand's turgid prose and stark message made little impact in Europe, but in America she remains extraordinarily, and increasingly important. A 1991 survey by the Library of Congress found Atlas Shrugged was the second most influential book in the US, after the Bible. Some commentators have seen attempts to intervene in the financial markets as a return to big government of the sort Rand so violently parodied.

The Great Gatsby remains not just one of the greatest works of American literature, but a timeless evocation of the allure, corruption and carelessness of wealth. “They were careless people, Tom and Daisy - they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.” As the world struggles to clear up the economic mess left by a greedy, careless few, Gatsby's story has never seemed more immediate.
Cut to the chase

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 16:04:04 PM »
Interesting isn't it that we are living in a time  where the weaknesses of "the invisible-hand" are exposed and the failings of capitalism left to its own devices made palpably clear, that people are looking to its most extreme form for salvation
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Jon

• TNMS Member
    • Dire Fakes
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 16:31:35 PM »
The comments following that article in The Independent are probably as of much interest as the article itself, which is shallow enough to allow Rand's followers to pick holes in Patterson's argument.  Still, some of the comments in support of Rand are astounding.  Like dom, I just cannot believe that some see the current situation as a vindication of selfishness, when surely it was fuelled to a large extent by individual greed.

I haven't read much more than a few snippets of Atlas Shrugged.  I decided that life was too short to waste time reading any more.  I did try all of Anthem, given the Rush connection.  It was possibly the most infantile, contrived and simplistic piece of writing I have ever read.  In the rush (no pun intended) to get her 'philosophy' across, Ayn Rand wrote a book that an eight year old would be ashamed of.

Just my opinion of course... :)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 17:07:37 PM »
I've never read any Ayn Rand. Do her books have pictures, and if so can you colour them in?
Legend in my own Mind

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
Interesting isn't it that we are living in a time  where the weaknesses of "the invisible-hand" are exposed and the failings of capitalism left to its own devices made palpably clear, that people are looking to its most extreme form for salvation

Scary isnt it  :-\

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
Rand's books are a recurring theme in the excellent HBO TV series "Mad Men"
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

vladman

• TNMS Member
  • We Love Rush!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 17:12:33 PM »
Have got "the fountainhead" from the local library this week.
Her foreword is the most nonsense I have read for a while (outside of the stuff posted on TNMS under certain names ;) ;D)....don't know what that indicates as to the actual book itself.
I am not a jaikie.......I only help out when they are busy!

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »
Have got "the fountainhead" from the local library this week.
Her foreword is the most nonsense I have read for a while (outside of the stuff posted on TNMS under certain names ;) ;D)....don't know what that indicates as to the actual book itself.
I seem to remember the foreword being the best bit....that and the end.... ::)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

IAN LACEY

• TNMS Member
  • I love Rush!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 19:54:32 PM »
Well I did make the effort to get through Atlas Shrugged, and it took a lot of effort. There are a few good quotes in it, but the comment I made when I passed them on to my friends was - here are some nuggets mined from some ore; an awful lot of ore!

She did have a point, but there is so much dross surrounding it. There is one bit where the central character gives a speech, and it goes on, and on, and on, for in excess of 70, (yes 70), pages.
She would HATE it, but I think if she saw those that now espouse her ideals, she would recall Marx comment - if this is Marxism, then I'm no Marxist.
The second most influential book in America? I wonder, perchance the second most prominently displayed book on the shelves of people that buy books, for the purpose of other people noticing that they have them. And also as so many find it unreadable, lots of people can get away making up quotes from it, because they would all be too embarrassed to admit they have not read it.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 19:20:31 PM »
I must say I enjoyed Anthem.  Not read any of her other stuff.