"Deluxe" / "Collectors" editions

Started by Chris Quartly, February 13, 2009, 13:51:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly

There seems to be a new fad in the last few years of re-releasing Deluxe or Collectors editions of old records. Usually with an extra CD of b-sides, demos, live stuff, etc.

What are your thoughts on these? Which ones (if any) do you have? Are they worth it?

I think for the large part, they are a great addition for the more hardcore fan, maybe a bit overkill for a casual listener who just wants to hear the album.

I've got the following "deluxe/collectors" editions released in recent years.

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-e
Julian Cope - Jehovakill
Elvis Costello - This Years Model
Elvis Costello - Blood and Chocolate
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
The Cure - The Top
The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray
Love - Forever Changes
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
Sonic Youth - Goo
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

pdw1

I am a bit of a sucker for these.  Not to mention the ltd editon of new albums with extra discs and packaging.

Patrick
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

rascal houdi

I do like them but only tend to buy them if I haven't already got them on CD. Ones I have bought, all recommended:

Frampton Comes Alive (4 extra tracks, reseqenced to original concert running order)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road (2 extra tracks, resequenced, 6 alternate versions)
Muddy 'Mississippi' Waters - Live (complete 60 minute 2nd disc with all new material from same series of shows)
Johnny Winter - Second Winter (2 extra tracks + 75min live disc)

Probably got a few others but can't remember at the mo'.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Pudders

Yep, got a couple that I can think of:

Def Leppard - Hysteria. The extras on this are fantastic with all the singles/b sides from the period

The Who - Live at Leeds. The whole concert rather than the 5/6 tracks on the original and a whole performance of Tommy. They've also left all the between song banter on between Townsend and Moon, priceless!

Bez

I've got loads, only really interested in the music...couldn't give a toss about different packaging...as long as it sits on the shelf.... ;)

RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Topper

Chris, I am shocked you didn't include Pavement in your list :o. They have the best "Redux" collections as they include even the kitchen sink ;D.

Chris Quartly

Oops! I forgot about them, I just searched for "deluxe" or "collectors" in my spreadsheet, I knew I was forgetting something!

But yes, you're right, the Pavement re-issues have been the best re-issues, all EP tracks, b-sides and additional studio recordings from the same cycle of time as the albums as well as live recordings. I doubt any band has sifted through as many tapes as Pavement have for these re-issues.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Pricey

i got the weller ones - stanley road is a tremendous package, i got the def leppard one too, missed out on the lemonheads tho.
I'll try and behave . Promise

Slim

I don't have many of these. I bought the Japanese editions of Kiss' Alive! and Alive! II with the scaled down reproductions of the original packaging, even though I do have the original packaging in fact.

Normally I don't have the attention span for an extra CD of stuff unless it's special. The Deluxe Edition of Rockferry is the most recent one I have. I don't have many others.

Andrew_Haldane

I'm a bit of a sucker for these but with the exception of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours I have no duplicates except in vinyl.A cursory look reveals the following though I'm sure there are more

Opeth - Watershed
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
UFO - Strangers In The Night
Deep Purple - In Rock
Deep Purple - Machinehead
Deep Purple - Fireball
Deep Purple - Burn
Whitesnake - Trouble
Whitesnake - Lovehunter
Whitesnake - Ready And Willing
David Coverdale - Northwinds
David Coverdale - Whitesnake
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road
The Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East
Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs And Englishmen
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
ELO - A New World Record
ELO - Out Of The Blue
ELO - Eldorado
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
Judas Priest - British Steel
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East

Bez

Quote from: Slim on February 13, 2009, 22:52:14 pm
I don't have many of these. I bought the Japanese editions of Kiss' Alive! and Alive! II with the scaled down reproductions of the original packaging, even though I do have the original packaging in fact.

Normally I don't have the attention span for an extra CD of stuff unless it's special. The Deluxe Edition of Rockferry is the most recent one I have. I don't have many others.

One that I have that may appeal to you, Slim, is Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen; the bonus disc is terrific
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

Ah I did buy that one, yes - actually I only listened to the bonus disc once. I didn't really like it. Also the final note from When The Angels is missing on the remastered studio disk.

Another one that you might consider to be a "collector's edition" is (what is in effect) the 2CD edition of Purple's Made In Europe - with lots more tunes from the same gigs and unedited versions of the MIE tracks. Forget what it's called. It wasn't marketed as a deluxe Made In Europe. Some great stuff on there.

Gary L. Grape

I think I have just a few "re-released" edition albums, I do have quite a few limited, "non re-released" editions though. The re-releases: Fireball (25th anniversary ed.) and In Rock (25th anniversary ed.) by Deep Purple, Octopus (Limited edition, 3000) by Gentle Giant, and last but not least Aqualung by Jethro Tull. I tend to buy anniversary/special/limited editions only if I don't have the album from earlier.

Reg

I've got the early re-mastered Tubeway Army / Gary Numan albums:

The Plan
Tubeway Army
Replicas
The Pleasure Principal
Telekon

Well worth it.

Although the live recording from 1978 on Tubeway Army is painful to listen to -it is from an audience recording, and it isn't pretty.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide