Prog Rock Britannia

Started by 34Poolboy, December 20, 2008, 08:10:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy

Quote from: Pudders on January 04, 2009, 00:16:41 am
Not that it would bother the rest of you, but the fact BJH were billed to appear in the 'Prog at the Beeb' program, but didn't, rather pissed me off..... ::)

As to the main course, wasn't that impressed on first watch to be honest - apart from the Canterbury scene stuff which I need to investigate further (I have odd snippets here and there only) - but it was an interrupted viewing for various reasons. Watched it again today and, yep, not bad at all.

no I was disappointed too - I am a closet BJH fan  ::)
Cut to the chase

Fishy

Quote from: franksidebottom on January 05, 2009, 22:39:24 pm
ELP bollocks? I'll bet you Karn Evil 9, Toccata, Tarkus, Abbadon's Bolero, Hoedown, Great Gates Of Kiev and Knife Edge that they weren't.

John Peel - what a c*ck.

well said that man...
From the Land of Honest Men.

Slim

I can't accept the notion of John Peel as a "cock"; he consistently provided entertaining radio for decade after decade, his show was instrumental in breaking quite a number of new bands, he showcased alternative music that was different, new and exciting. Sometimes. Not only that, but he wrote exceptionally interesting and amusing newspaper and music magazine columns.

But he consistently made a mistake that one of the contributors to the main Prog Rock Britannia programme identified - he judged progressive rock music by the standards of rock'n'roll.

Spud

Quote from: franksidebottom on January 05, 2009, 22:39:24 pm
ELP bollocks? I'll bet you Karn Evil 9, Toccata, Tarkus, Abbadon's Bolero, Hoedown, Great Gates Of Kiev and Knife Edge that they weren't.

John Peel - what a c*ck.

and Take a Pebble, especially the Live studio version on the DVD i have.

John Peel was a fan of the early ELP wasn't he, or maybe it was The Nice? 

Fishy

January 06, 2009, 15:49:15 pm #34 Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 15:52:10 pm by thefishy
sorry wasn't trying to allude to Peel being a c**k..more that ELP weren't bollox... so in the style of the rush album description thread...

1970 Emerson, Lake & Palmer
So the first and self titled album from ex Nice/ Crimson/ Crazy World of Arthur Brown experience members.. comes crashing in with the opener The Barbarian, moving on through calmer stuff like Take a Pebble.... and plenty of scope for more classical references, jazz styles and Palmer even manages a drum solo...... closes wth Lucky Man which was to be a firm favourite for some strange reason... a solid effort.

1971 Pictures at an Exhibition
Mussorgsky gets the ELP makeover treatment...and it works..Blues Variation and Nutrocker thown in for good measure... another solid effort

1971 Tarkus

Ok side one gives us the 22 mins long title track..split into about 5/6 smaller pieces which blend in well... Emerson's all over the place with this... side 2 gives us 5 individual songs... which featutes the magnificent Bitches Crystal..... a couple of duffers in there but overall another good un

1972 Trilogy

They jusy keep knocking them out... Aaron Copeland's Hoedown gets the makeover this time, again loads more classical and jazz refences going on here...

1973 Brain Salad Surgery  
This the one..magnificant.. even the album artwork of Geiger is just brilliant. Includes the 30mins track Karn Evil 9 which is the best thing you'll ever hear from ELP...  Benny The Bouncer is chucked in for laffs and the obligatory Lake ballad is fairly low key..otherwise just superb.

1977 Works, Vol. 1  

oh oh... the start of the  downward spiral... a double album with 3 sides devoted to each memeber and the fourth the ELP side.. Emerson kicks off with a not too bad 18 mins piano concerto it has to be said..however the LAke /PAlmer sides are bloody awful.. more ballads and drum solos and reworkings of older stuff... the fourth side manages to reclaim a bit of promise with Fanfare of the Comman Man (Copeland) and Pirates

1977 Works, Vol. 2 

oh oh.. more duffness...

1978 Love Beach 
The cover on this album tells it all.. the game's up.. time to quit.. a real stinker of an album...

1992 Black Moon  

ELP reconvene after a few personnel changes etc...  trying to recapture former glories..forget it lads...

1994 In the Hot Seat

Time to chuck in the towel..no really...

Spud

Plus there was Emerson, Lake and Powell and 3: To the Power of Three. I have both on tape somewhere and cannot really remember any of the tracks apart Touch and Go  :-\  I'll have to dig them out

Reg

Mike Oldfield is on (BBC4) tonight - doing Tubular Bells.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

Quote from: thefishy on January 06, 2009, 15:49:15 pm

1978 Love Beach 
The cover on this album tells it all.. the game's up.. time to quit.. a real stinker of an album...

I'm two tracks in and liking it, so far. It has a certain charm and elegance, and not much of the overblown pomp of classic ELP. Quite an honest, open approach they've taken here, nice arrangements and good songs.

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on January 07, 2009, 20:32:26 pm
I'm two tracks in and liking it, so far. It has a certain charm and elegance, and not much of the overblown pomp of classic ELP. Quite an honest, open approach they've taken here, nice arrangements and good songs.

Interesting.... in the Beyond the Beginning DVD the band talk about this album and they don't rate it at all.. think it was just a contractual obligation so not much time and effort was afforded it...they even drafted in Pete Sinfiend for lyric duties and even he couldn't be arsed with it...

Slim

Quote from: thefishy on January 08, 2009, 10:21:01 am
Interesting.... in the Beyond the Beginning DVD the band talk about this album and they don't rate it at all.. think it was just a contractual obligation so not much time and effort was afforded it...they even drafted in Pete Sinfiend for lyric duties and even he couldn't be arsed with it...

I hate the Keith Emerson tunes on this record with a passion - the synths sound laughable now and it just sounds like feeble, lightweight classical rock bollocks, a bit like that awful band John Williams started, Sky.

But the first five songs on here - the Greg Lake / Pete Sinfield tunes - are a joy! I expect that if I'd been an ELP fan in 1978 I'd have hated it. There's none of the drama and pomp and power of their classic stuff. Instead though you've got catchy, well-played tunes with some really nice, simple arrangements. The lyrics are awful in places but that just adds to the fun. It's a real breath of fresh air.

Help yourself to a taste of my love.
Call up room service, order peaches and cream
I like my dessert first - if you know what I mean.
Yeah, taste it , taste it, taste it
Around the maze of pleasure to the gates of pain,
you're driving me insane

:D

Fishy

just been checking out Works Vol2 ... it's a real stinker.. a cobbled together monstrosity of old b sides, I Believe in Father Christmas is chucked in to fill it out..there's a couple of new tracks..Tiger in The Spotlight and When The Wind Blossoms of Your Mind etc etc.....  and ending with a tired embarrasing rendition of "show me the way to go home"...just about says it all...

this makes Love Beach look like the best album ever made...

graham1970

Brilliant brilliant, brilliant. At least I know why I pay the licence fee now!
I'd feel worse if I wasn't so heavily sedated

Fishy

just got around to watching this on bbc iplayer over the weekend..  great stuff...

loved all the Bill Bruford observations about Yes.... "Anderson would absorb a lot of music... so what if it sounded like the theme from Bonanza..just chuck it in..." 

Slim

Bill Bruford is always good value on a documentary. Very pithy on one of the Yes documentary videos as well.

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on January 12, 2009, 15:51:27 pm
Bill Bruford is always good value on a documentary. Very pithy on one of the Yes documentary videos as well.

yes i think he was on the BBC Rock Family tree one and he had some really funny remarks about Anderson's lyrics, the bringing the countryside into the studio story during CTTE recording sessions...  top bloke

ona side note..amazed to find out that Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics  for a Bucks Fizz songs..bloody hell...