Atheists, please consider donating to a worthwhile cause

Started by Slim, October 21, 2008, 21:52:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy42g

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 10, 2011, 16:45:47 pm
Scratch that, the Ark will cost $150,000,000, ...

Shit. Where did you read that?

I think they should have a "Hades" roller coaster in there, plummeting into the ground at high speed and setting all the occupants on fire.
Would get a lot more custom than a "heaven" themed ride I'm sure.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Chris Quartly

It's in the FAQ - http://arkencounter.com/faq/

QuoteWhy is the project so big, and why is a for-profit LLC going to own the Ark Encounter?

Because feasibility studies revealed that the Ark would attract 1.6 million guests in the first year, the project needed to be much more than just the Ark alone to handle the anticipated crowds. Accordingly, eight additional biblically themed attractions were included in the Ark Encounter complex to accommodate all of the expected guests.

Due to the size of the Ark Encounter project, a for-profit LLC structure was selected to be able to help raise the approximately $150 million necessary to build it ($125 million of that total will come through investments). We also desired to avoid financing the project through debt. In addition, this large amount of funding would not have been probable solely through donations. The for-profit LLC structure allows for the primary funding to come from private equity investment, while at the same time ensuring that the control of the content, design, and operations of the Ark Encounter will be led by Crosswater Canyon, a wholly owned subsidiary of Answers in Genesis.

The for-profit LLC structure also allows the Ark Encounter to be eligible for various economic development incentives that would not have been available with a non-profit structure.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Pudders

Gary L. Grape

Quote from: Andy42g on January 10, 2011, 16:36:07 pmJesus Christ.  :o  ::)  :-\  :'(

I didn't see or hear his name mentioned anywhere on that page...? ::)

Btw, congrats on reaching 3000 posts ;D

Andy42g

Quote from: Gary L. Grape on January 11, 2011, 08:39:50 am
I didn't see or hear his name mentioned anywhere on that page...? ::)

No - but it's one of my favourite swearing phrases.

Matt2112

Quote from: Andy42g on January 11, 2011, 10:15:45 am
No - but it's one of my favourite swearing phrases.

Reminds of a funny story I heard a few Christmases ago about a primary school kid who asked why Jesus Christ was named after a swear word.  ;D
The keys to happiness

Andy42g

Pat Robertson: Blizzard is to delay gay people doing things for a couple of days: http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20110101/cm_uc_crabox/op_4716464.
No, not The Onion. This is for real.  ???

Slim

Quote from: Andy42g on January 14, 2011, 13:29:26 pm
Pat Robertson: Blizzard is to delay gay people doing things for a couple of days: http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20110101/cm_uc_crabox/op_4716464.
No, not The Onion. This is for real.  ???

QuoteAs for the millions of straight people in New York City who were also grounded by the bad weather, the televangelist said, "I think God probably wonders: If these people are really straight, then what are they doing in New York?"

Looks like they caught you out there. And me for a minute, to be fair.

Andy42g

Chris Quartly

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Andy42g

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 19, 2011, 15:20:12 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12222612

Vatican officials told Irish not to report child abuse - Shock horror!

Yes, but that was, like, ages ago and it was, err, one man acting without authority - it definitely wasn't our fault - and we are very sorry and,  hey, look now we've really promised not to do it again. Anyway - can we move on to John Paul II's impending sainthood?